Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 5 months for body repair normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered my 21 MYLR in May. Took delivery in June. Got rear-ended in August. Car is still in a Tesla certified shop being repaired for going on 5 months. Supposed to be a highly rated shop. They said parts come in slow, are incorrect, or incomplete orders. Also, some insurances are slow to pay. Beginning to lose my patience. Love the car and miss it. Has anyone else, regardless of model, had a similar experience? If so, that’s cool; just don’t want to be the exception. Thanks

I'm afraid 5 months isn't really that outrageous. I got rear-ended in the beginning of October, exactly one month after taking delivery. It took a month to get the initial parts in and another month to get a spot in the schedule to bring it into the Tesla certified body shop. After I brought it in, it was determined there are some structural damage upon disassembly and it had to be brought to another location to do the repair. Additional parts were ordered and that's when I learned that the first lift gate they ordered in October was damaged and not usable. The 2nd lift gate arrived this week and was damaged worse than the first one, so a 3rd one has to be ordered and who knows when that'll arrive and if it will actually not get damaged by whatever stupid freight company Tesla uses this time (previously it was TForce Freight and FedEx 2nd Day Freight). The repair estimate was "only" around $6,500, so it's not that big of a job, relatively speaking, but apparently some parts have a difficult time arriving in good shape. I think if I get "lucky" and the 3rd lift gate doesn't get damaged, I might get my car repaired 4 months after the collision. I miss my car too and just have to remind myself the collision could have been a lot worse if I didn't manage to avoid hitting the car in front of me that emergency braked to a complete stop on a highway.

Reactions: C-Bus Y
I'm afraid 5 months isn't really that outrageous. I got rear-ended in the beginning of October, exactly one month after taking delivery. It took a month to get the initial parts in and another month to get a spot in the schedule to bring it into the Tesla certified body shop. After I brought it in, it was determined there are some structural damage upon disassembly and it had to be brought to another location to do the repair. Additional parts were ordered and that's when I learned that the first lift gate they ordered in October was damaged and not usable. The 2nd lift gate arrived this week and was damaged worse than the first one, so a 3rd one has to be ordered and who knows when that'll arrive and if it will actually not get damaged by whatever stupid freight company Tesla uses this time (previously it was TForce Freight and FedEx 2nd Day Freight). The repair estimate was "only" around $6,500, so it's not that big of a job, relatively speaking, but apparently some parts have a difficult time arriving in good shape. I think if I get "lucky" and the 3rd lift gate doesn't get damaged, I might get my car repaired 4 months after the collision. I miss my car too and just have to remind myself the collision could have been a lot worse if I didn't manage to avoid hitting the car in front of me that emergency braked to a complete stop on a highway.
Thanks for sharing. Tesla needs an update to avoid collisions of our rear ends. Lol. Good luck with your “4 month” mark.

I hit a deer in going about 40 MPH my 2017 BMW xdrive40e back in 2018. Right front damage, and drove it home, bags didn't deploy. Highly reputable shop in Virginia that specializes in BMW, Mercedes, and even exotics. 200+ parts were needed to complete the job. $27K worth of damage. ~2 months to complete the work.

Updating on my repairs, the body shop emailed me saying they got all the parts in today and they'll try to get the repairs done this week, which is a pleasant surprise if true. That's pretty fast getting that 3rd lift gate! Fingers crossed that it finally gets done this week.

Anyway, hopefully the OP's car gets repaired soon too. Best of luck!