TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is 6 miles of battery degradation acceptable on 6k miles?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Te5laGuy, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Te5laGuy

Te5laGuy Member

I have the 240 standard range plus with 6k miles. Tesla said this is normal because it’s learning my driving habits ect. Lost 6 miles , normal?

• Funny x 4
  2. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Definitely not. Schedule another service appointment and demand they take you seriously. You’ve been robbed of six miles!

Or, as an alternative, read the 20 other threads on the first page of this forum section talking about the exact same thing.

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 3
  3. smashcz

smashcz Member

Service center won't do anything. But 6 miles off is not that bad.

4. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

and it might just be BMS calibration and mean nothing.

• Like x 1
  5. KenC

KenC Active Member

Absolutely normal.
    upload_2019-10-6_6-23-0.jpg

• Informative x 2
  6. David29

David29 Supporting Member

You simply cannot rely on the battery SOC indicator to give range estimates that are accurate enough to know that your range has changed by 6 miles. That is certainly within the error band for the estimate. It can change that much just because of ambient temperature variations. Set the SOC indicator to energy (percentage) and don't worry about it!

• Like x 1
  7. Te5laGuy

Te5laGuy Member

Thank u

8. Te5laGuy

Te5laGuy Member

Gonna take a trip soon , see wat happens

9. Te5laGuy

Te5laGuy Member

10. Te5laGuy

Te5laGuy Member

Thank u for replying

• Like x 1
  11. mchas

mchas Member

Mine is only 4 months old with 1500 miles and I am seeing as low as 304 lately. It was always 310 until the last week or two. No idea why.

12. David29

David29 Supporting Member

One possibility is that the battery range may appear to drop when nighttime temperatures begin to get lower in the fall. I know you are in LA, but even so, there may be cooler nights there lately. Sometimes people report that the car appears to "recover' some of the range when they start to drive, as the battery warms up.
    just one possibility....

13. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Active Member

It is true that the car lose range as temp drop. At one point you'll see the flake. However it doesn't make a difference, since you'll see a drop in % with a drop of km. So the ratio is still the same.
    That is my experience anyhow...

14. Toysla

Toysla Member

For what it’s worth, my LR estimated range dropped to 274 from 280 mi (@ 90% level) and maximum range display dropped to 304 from 310 mi. All happened beginning 10/2019 with 12.2.2 OTA update and my first “long trip” from Bay Area to Santa Barbara one weekend. I ran battery to 8% when I recharged in Buellton, California. Then my display range dropped to the said numbers.
    I have 15K miles since 10/2018. I have charged to 100% about 10 times over past 12 months, used level 2 to charge at work, once a week. I cannot tell if this is “normal” degradation, if the drive to 8% remaining, the 10X I charged to 100%, or if it has to do with firmware updates. Who really knows? If Tesla engineers know why, no one’s saying.
    Still a thrill to drive but hopefully, the drop in range doesn’t continue to drop 6 miles annually constantly... Time will tell

15. mchas

mchas Member

It’s possible, but I was seeing the lower range during the day and it has actually been very hot here lately (high 70s).

One other possibility is that my last few charging sessions have been fairly short, maybe 50 miles worth of range added at a time. I read elsewhere that with shorter charging sessions the range calculation isn’t as accurate maybe? Which is why doing the longer 20%-80% type charges seem to “recalibrate” the range? Maybe it’s not so much the draining and recharging as it is the fact that the charging session is much longer which allows the computer to have more data? Who knows.

16. ZOMGVTEK

ZOMGVTEK Member

My car showed 261 at 90% yesterday. I don’t pay any attention to this, but it does sound low. Under 3K miles.

17. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

Change to percentage and forget about it. Tons of thread showing drop in range after a few updated software. Same as mine.

18. Federico

Federico Member

I have the same issue and started I will say 2 months ago. My 90% charge get me 212 (used to be 214~216) and I just tried last night at 100% and I got 236 on the phone (when it was completed), but this morning on the app said 234, then when I want to the car and it reads 235.

My Model 3 have 5.900 miles and is 7 months old, my advice, don't worry at the battery degradation, 2~3% is nothing, keep in mind you will get those miles back when we get the upcoming update :).

19. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Well-Known Member

You just have to ignore this. Any single digit number of miles is not something to pay any attention to. It's going to shift and vary a little bit, like maybe 5-10 miles. It's just not possible to measure the energy of a really large battery that exactly like looking at the line of a measuring cup of milk or sugar. It's having to estimate and calculate some, so it's going to drift by a few. So don't worry about it (and definitely don't bother Tesla service about it) if you're talking 5 or 6 rated miles of variance. Now if you see a sudden overnight change of like 20-30 miles at once, that could be something real to ask about.

20. Celledral

Celledral Member

It’s cool. I’m down 15+ miles in less than 6months. Not a big deal since SC are readily available in my area, But hurts a bit seeing it drop that fast.