Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 6 miles of battery degradation acceptable on 6k miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the 240 standard range plus with 6k miles. Tesla said this is normal because it’s learning my driving habits ect. Lost 6 miles , normal?
Absolutely normal.
upload_2019-10-6_6-23-0.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and Rocky_H
You simply cannot rely on the battery SOC indicator to give range estimates that are accurate enough to know that your range has changed by 6 miles. That is certainly within the error band for the estimate. It can change that much just because of ambient temperature variations. Set the SOC indicator to energy (percentage) and don't worry about it!

Reactions: Jarvisd1015
You simply cannot rely on the battery SOC indicator to give range estimates that are accurate enough to know that your range has changed by 6 miles. That is certainly within the error band for the estimate. It can change that much just because of ambient temperature variations. Set the SOC indicator to energy (percentage) and don't worry about it!
Thank u for replying

Reactions: David29
Mine is only 4 months old with 1500 miles and I am seeing as low as 304 lately. It was always 310 until the last week or two. No idea why.
One possibility is that the battery range may appear to drop when nighttime temperatures begin to get lower in the fall. I know you are in LA, but even so, there may be cooler nights there lately. Sometimes people report that the car appears to "recover' some of the range when they start to drive, as the battery warms up.
just one possibility....

It is true that the car lose range as temp drop. At one point you'll see the flake. However it doesn't make a difference, since you'll see a drop in % with a drop of km. So the ratio is still the same.
That is my experience anyhow...

Service center won't do anything. But 6 miles off is not that bad.
For what it’s worth, my LR estimated range dropped to 274 from 280 mi (@ 90% level) and maximum range display dropped to 304 from 310 mi. All happened beginning 10/2019 with 12.2.2 OTA update and my first “long trip” from Bay Area to Santa Barbara one weekend. I ran battery to 8% when I recharged in Buellton, California. Then my display range dropped to the said numbers.
I have 15K miles since 10/2018. I have charged to 100% about 10 times over past 12 months, used level 2 to charge at work, once a week. I cannot tell if this is “normal” degradation, if the drive to 8% remaining, the 10X I charged to 100%, or if it has to do with firmware updates. Who really knows? If Tesla engineers know why, no one’s saying.
Still a thrill to drive but hopefully, the drop in range doesn’t continue to drop 6 miles annually constantly... Time will tell

One possibility is that the battery range may appear to drop when nighttime temperatures begin to get lower in the fall. I know you are in LA, but even so, there may be cooler nights there lately. Sometimes people report that the car appears to "recover' some of the range when they start to drive, as the battery warms up.
just one possibility....

It’s possible, but I was seeing the lower range during the day and it has actually been very hot here lately (high 70s).

One other possibility is that my last few charging sessions have been fairly short, maybe 50 miles worth of range added at a time. I read elsewhere that with shorter charging sessions the range calculation isn’t as accurate maybe? Which is why doing the longer 20%-80% type charges seem to “recalibrate” the range? Maybe it’s not so much the draining and recharging as it is the fact that the charging session is much longer which allows the computer to have more data? Who knows.

I have the same issue and started I will say 2 months ago. My 90% charge get me 212 (used to be 214~216) and I just tried last night at 100% and I got 236 on the phone (when it was completed), but this morning on the app said 234, then when I want to the car and it reads 235.

My Model 3 have 5.900 miles and is 7 months old, my advice, don't worry at the battery degradation, 2~3% is nothing, keep in mind you will get those miles back when we get the upcoming update :).

You just have to ignore this. Any single digit number of miles is not something to pay any attention to. It's going to shift and vary a little bit, like maybe 5-10 miles. It's just not possible to measure the energy of a really large battery that exactly like looking at the line of a measuring cup of milk or sugar. It's having to estimate and calculate some, so it's going to drift by a few. So don't worry about it (and definitely don't bother Tesla service about it) if you're talking 5 or 6 rated miles of variance. Now if you see a sudden overnight change of like 20-30 miles at once, that could be something real to ask about.