TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Is 60k miles a lot?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JPUConn, May 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

IMG_4508.jpg

my P045xx VIN 2013 S85 is days away from crossing 60k miles. I purchased her as a CPO with 46k miles just under a year ago. the idea of crossing 60k miles is weighing on me.

Not because there is anything wrong with my car. It's actually better than new thanks to all of the retro-fits that Tesla completed. The bumper to bumper CPO warranty still has plenty of life. The operating cost is very low and the car drives incredible.

I'm finding myself hesitating to drive my Tesla out of fear of passing this artificial mileage line and the resale value plummeting. Once the car has over 60k miles, what's the difference (other than warranty) if it has 90k miles to a prospective buyer? In prior cars I would either sell before 60k or drive them til 90-140k miles.

Is this just an ICE mentality that I need to get over?

2. demundus

demundus Member

ill have 100k this month with no extended warranty. my issues have been

TPMS x4
    a door handle (which i somehow got goodwill on)
    a leaky touchscreen, which I replaced myself. Now they offer a cheap fix but before it was 5k (F that)

edit: should add that its worth about 10k less than i paid for it 2 years ago with 55k on it.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

At 74k with a 2013 S85... doing great, and I did purchase the extended warranty for peace of mind... that's about all it provides me. Your CPO warranty should be good.

• Like x 1
  4. tpham07

tpham07 Member

Resale is pointless if you plan on keeping your car past 5 years (which i am). So i have no shame putting miles on. 2600 miles going on week 5 of ownership.

5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Why did you buy a high mileage CPO when you knew you had a thing about 60k? I assume you were planning to either keep the car for the full CPO warranty, or just drive it for 14k miles then sell it?

If you were planning on keeping it, then keep it - it's been a good car. I have no idea why 60k miles would be a cliff in the resale value. I would think that "cliff" would be at 50k when the factory warranty would run out if you had bought it new. Now that it has a CPO warranty, it will go down at normal rates with the only big jumps happening when refreshed Model S's come out. (And maybe a "cliff" when the 3 is out and easily available)

6. Bheuring

Bheuring Member

I am at 48,000 my warranty runs out at 50,000. I could extend the warranty but I bought the car a year ago at about 18,000 miles. so I'm going to risk it I feel that I could hit 100 000 in 3/4 years or sooner. I would need to hit $5000 in improvement parts in the next 3 to 4 years To make the warranty worth it . Cross your fingers for me .

7. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Good point. The unknown of the Model 3 has me questioning if the 3 will be large enough to fit my family and replace the S. My intentions all along were to enjoy the Tesla (I do) and drive the darn thing.

Thanks for the replies!

• Like x 1
  8. mmccord

mmccord Member

64k on my 85D. Got it may'15, so it just turned 2. It still acts young, but i have a list of repairs needed when the weather gets nicer.

Repairs are the usual suspects, Sun roof squeaks, one door handle doesn't present, and i think i need new half shafts up front.

• Like x 1
  9. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

#9 calisnow, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    You are joking yes? I have over 250K miles on my Infiniti QX56 SUV (1st owner). ICE cars don't break a sweat hitting 200K. Landcruisers are hitting 400K on original engine and tranny. There is a Toyota pickup out there that hit over one million miles. Your EV has far fewer moving parts - no reason you can't hit a million miles easily on it.

10. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

95k on my S. No heat, right rear window is acting crazy. But rest is good

• Like x 2
  11. Knightowl

Knightowl Whovian

I totally get you on the ICE over 60k kind of feeling but for me, I have over 65k mi and my 2014 S85 still feels and drives like new. :) sure some out of warranty repairs like tpms, 12v battery, and a door handle but love it more than anything else I have ever driven and so far still cheaper to operate as a whole for me than my ICE car.

12. evp

evp Nerd

Mine is a classic S85 from Nov 2014. 2-1/2 years old, 76,000 miles. I didn't see the extended warranty doing anything for me because it would expire in another 50,000 miles, or a year and a half at this rate.

Under warranty I've had 3 door handles, the hatch motor, and one drive unit replaced. I'm of the opinion that the high-failure-rate items have been redesigned by now. No major problems since the 50K ran out (bent control arm after a nasty pothole, and alignment).

Yeah, maybe the resale value is going down fast; I have a hard time caring about that once I'm on the road. It just makes me wonder what I'll do when the Model 3 shows up. Should I be one of the many "collect the whole set" fanboys? Trade it in? Sell it on EBay? Keep it and sell the Model 3? Indecision....

13. Bound466

Bound466 Member

125,000 on mine. We'll probably take it north of 300,000 I bet.

• Like x 5