Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is $9k worth 310 miles v 220?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The LR actual EPA Range was 334 miles but Tesla asked for 310. That was actually written on the application form. It’s posted in a thread here IIRC.

For me the extra range is definitely worth the cost but many people will not need or want the longer range. People have different needs, so don’t pay for it if you don’t think you’ll need it.

It’s worth it in my book if you live in a cold climate or take long trips.

If you live where it gets below freezing on a regular basis in the winter, expect your range to get cut in half.

If you take long trips, the long range battery will supercharge more quickly than the short range battery. This can add up to a significant charging time difference on a long trip. Play around with http://www.abetterrouteplanner.com to compare the differences between the two.

If the above doesn’t apply to your driving situation, the short range car will be just fine.

My fear is this price may drop.

Battery prices are dropping fast, but you won't be able to upgrade from SR to LR ever for any price (without going gray market no warranty). Just as an S40 can't slap a 100 battery in the car. You buy at today's price and to get cheaper batteries, you buy another car in a couple of years that has cheaper batteries.

Is it worth $9k to get 90 miles more? Is there other differences? Does not seem so and seems pricey. My fear is this price may drop.

Are most people getting SR or LR? It's like I want the car now bad so LR but $9k is a lot.

Faster charging, both AC (presumably bigger charger module) and Supercharging. Also faster acceleration. Probably get the car sooner.

Keep in mind, you'll get some fraction of that value back when you sell the car, so the actual cost to you is something less than full $9k. This is likely one of the options that'll make a larger difference in resale value.

It’s worth it in my book if you live in a cold climate or take long trips.

If you live where it gets below freezing on a regular basis in the winter, expect your range to get cut in half.

Although the OP lives in Florida so the comment wasn't relevant, since this is posted in the 3 forum where many who have not had electric cars may read I wanted to provide some DATA instead of allowing this to FUD to be propagated:

1) In 66k miles on my Tesla Roadster, the worst months (Nov-Feb) average a 22% hit in range vs May-Aug.
2) In 30k miles on my S, the worst months average a 20% hit in range.

Here is some efficiency by average temp info for my S. You can see that if ambient temp is below zero, you can expect to lose 35-40% of your range on the WORST days and 15-20% in the 10 degrees above and below freezing.
upload_2018-1-25_19-48-54.png

Yes, the LR is worth it to us. We regularly do a 210 mile RT through an area with high Tesla density, so superchargers will be harder to access when we need them. SR would require a charge stop with less than ideal conditions, LR will not.

We also go on trips through rather remote areas with no superchargers.

It's totally worth it.

I'm not aware of any other Electric car that has a better range/price than the LR Model 3.

It's important to look at it from a realistic 90% range. Where you know you don't want to charge to 100% because that's going to take forever. So you charge it to 90%. Does that 90% get you to where you want to go with enough range to get back at 10% or more? Assuming you're doing 70mph in 40F weather when it's raining out?

As an example my Model S 70D has a range of 240 miles which is better than the 220 of the SR Model 3. But, do I really get anywhere close to 240? Heck no. Do I even get to 200? Maybe. Most I've ever done is around 180-190 miles.

So I would suggest you determine the range at realistic speeds in cold weather, and then multiple that by .8 to get a realistic useable range.

Although the OP lives in Florida so the comment wasn't relevant, since this is posted in the 3 forum where many who have not had electric cars may read I wanted to provide some DATA instead of allowing this to FUD to be propagated:

1) In 66k miles on my Tesla Roadster, the worst months (Nov-Feb) average a 22% hit in range vs May-Aug.
2) In 30k miles on my S, the worst months average a 20% hit in range.

Here is some efficiency by average temp info for my S. You can see that if ambient temp is below zero, you can expect to lose 35-40% of your range on the WORST days and 15-20% in the 10 degrees above and below freezing.
View attachment 275803

Sorry, my 50% claim was a bit pessimistic for most winter temps, but it was relevant for a couple of reasons. One, the OP might take trips to cold climates. Two, other people in cold climates might be reading this thread. Short trips in cold weather will have more of a range penalty than long trips in cold weather, as the energy required to get the cabin and battery up to temperature will be amortized across a greater distance on a longer trip.

Here are a few more data points that have been posted in other threads.

by @jdw
screen-shot-2017-12-27-at-10-18-00-am-png.269034

by @appleguru
df9ef0f4-7caf-4cdc-921a-e6e33875fa91-jpeg.270063

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Amit519
Another thing to keep in mind is that for the long term health and happiness of your battery, including the impact on degradation, it is advised to keep the battery at or below 80% down to about 20% where possible. I plan on keeping mine between 40 and 70% on a day to day basis. Of course the full 100% is available for long trips but my daily usage allows me the luxury of the 40-70 option. That leaves me with a range of 93 miles on the LR battery as opposed to 66 on the SR keeping it in my "ideal" range of charge.

To me this, along with higher resale value and faster charging, makes the long range battery very much worth the cost.

Dan

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and Icer
Another thing to keep in mind is that for the long term health and happiness of your battery, including the impact on degradation, it is advised to keep the battery at or below 80% down to about 20% where possible. I plan on keeping mine between 40 and 70% on a day to day basis. Of course the full 100% is available for long trips but my daily usage allows me the luxury of the 40-70 option. That leaves me with a range of 93 miles on the LR battery as opposed to 66 on the SR keeping it in my "ideal" range of charge.

To me this, along with higher resale value and faster charging, makes the long range battery very much worth the cost.

Dan
Do you have any evidence that 40-70 makes a difference? From what I have seen, there is already a margin of error built into only charging to 80.

Reactions: IdaX
If you take any car trips, you will want the range. The car goes farther and charges faster. If you need to justify the cost, keep in mind that the car will last for years longer than an ICE. Keeping it for just a couple of years longer will cover the extra cost.

If you don't do car trip, it's not necessary. The range is well beyond what you practically need. Just plug it in occasionally.

If a car is too much money, and squeezes people, they end up hating the car.
Same with a house. If the extra 9K pushes past that edge, waiting for a
LR with less options would be wise.

If afford-ability is not the issue, range is by far the most important aspect of an EV as a practical matter, using it as reliable, dependable transportation. The multiple advantages have been cited above.
Range is the most significant factor in being comfortable with the car as a daily driver, reducing anxiety, reducing the need to be conscious of the SoC, make that side trip, or random exploration where there is no charging available without concern.
This is real, even for vets of EVs.

Resale value. The used LR M3 on the market in few years will be in a more crowded market, extra range will make it compete in value. It will still likely be on the high end of available ranges. Folks who already have owned EVs especially will know the value of it. Any that have no EV experience will be more at ease with the range.

Finally, think of it as a 50% increase in range, which is large. I am certain that any owner of any EV would drool at the thought of a 50% increase in a car they already own.

Reminds me of the general rule buying a new big Flatscreen TV...
get the bigger one. Too small, folks think oh I should have..
Where there are no regrets, we forget about the extra money, satisfied with the purchase.
"We remember quality long after we have forgotten the price'.

Depends on your circumstances.
What's the most miles you drive each day?
What are your longer trips?
How fast do you drive your trips?
Is it your only car?
How long will you keep the car?
How much does that $9k plus tax, insurance and electricity mean to you?

Note that the LR also adds
48A AC charger
Faster Supercharging
Faster acceleration

In my case the $9k+ means a lot to me.
We have another car and I doubt my wife would like longer trips in the LR.
Even 100 miles is over 2 commutes and that would be for winter extremes where we don't want to go anywhere anyway.
Our regular week should be covered by the SR.
There are Superchargers for our regular trips in a pinch.

Last edited: