Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is $9k worth 310 miles v 220?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Faster charging, both AC (presumably bigger charger module) and Supercharging. Also faster acceleration. Probably get the car sooner.

Keep in mind, you'll get some fraction of that value back when you sell the car, so the actual cost to you is something less than full $9k. This is likely one of the options that'll make a larger difference in resale value.
I agree on all counts.

Reactions: NeverFollow
I am with you on this. I really don't need LR for what I use it for. SR is ~50 kilowatts and LR is ~75 kilowatts battery. A different of ~ 25 kilowatts. The new power wall granted it's using slightly different battery chemistry but cost about 7K each for ~ 12 or 14 kilowatts. That means ideally the extra 25 kilowatts should cost ~ 14K. Meaning the cost of 2 power wal at 7K each.

So 9K is actually a decent price for the LR. Would you agree? But I can't pull the trigger for what I use it for.
Also, what's to say the tax incentive might go away completely for whatever reason. That's the debate I am having a hard time with.

Give me options for SR with all the trimming : premium, color, EAP. That's what I really want.

Elon keeps saying the battery cost are below $200/KW with the Gigafactory and plans to about $100/KW soon. That should put the 25KW upgrade at $2500-$5000 in battery cost. Everything else is the same. The rest is profit.

Faster charging, both AC (presumably bigger charger module) and Supercharging. Also faster acceleration. Probably get the car sooner.

Keep in mind, you'll get some fraction of that value back when you sell the car, so the actual cost to you is something less than full $9k. This is likely one of the options that'll make a larger difference in resale value.
Completely agree!
Also, remember with EV, you only use 80-90% of the actual range (just like gasoline car), so real-life range is ~180-200 miles for SR and 270-280 miles for LR

Elon keeps saying the battery cost are below $200/KW with the Gigafactory and plans to about $100/KW soon. That should put the 25KW upgrade at $2500-$5000 in battery cost. Everything else is the same. The rest is profit.

No there are at least two other differences. The charger is 48A instead of 32A and the battery warranty is 20k Miles longer.

Lots of great insight here to learn from, but for me it comes down to what I expect from my car. Aside from deciding to get a Model 3, the decision to go electric had to satisfy the condition that it will be my only car. I will not have another car, ICE or otherwise, to fall back on. So the most important criteria for me are range and recharge times, even if I only make a few long-distance trips a year, I expect to be able to conveniently use my car to suit my needs. The LR battery does that, while at the same time it also offers better 0-60 performance and a potentially greater resale value. So LR all the way.

LR battery is a must for me. My son lives 215 miles from me and the last 40 miles is up a mountain road. Short range battery would force a change stop.
I charge up to about 85% which gives my wife 280 miles. Her commute is 95 miles round trip and one way from about 500 ft Elevation to 4000 ft. She uses about 125 miles which only gives her around 160 for the following day so even though 95 mile round trip I'm still charging every day.

I had an S60 that was rated for 210. I now have a 3 with the 310.. I can tell you its a relief to reduce range anxiety. I never ran out in my S, but there were times that i could not make a local trip because i didn't charge the night before. The problem is you will only charge to 180ish then you will want to leave a buffer .. that gets you down to 150 and frequent charging. If you have a supercharger nearby that could help.

Having the model 3 with the extra milage is a big step up in the EV experience.

Early adopters pays the price.

Just some thoughts on what we are really getting for the 75 kw battery

9 kilowatts missing from the hyper milers doing 600 miles on a 32 hrs drive going at 25 mph. According to Tesla the BMS took the 9 kwh.
Factoring in battery degrade about 7% the first 10 yrs.
Charging recommendation at 80%.
Your 75 kw battery usable is more like 50 kilowatts

Last edited:
Early adopters pays the price.

Just some thoughts on what we are really getting for the 75 kw battery

9 kilowatts missing from the hyper milers doing 600 miles on a 32 hrs drive going at 25 mph. According to Tesla the BMS took the 9 kwh.
Factoring in battery degrade about 7% the first 10 yrs.
Charging recommendation at 80%.
Your 75 kw battery usable is more like 50 kilowatts
That's why they changed the badging on the car away from battery size. It gets 310 miles per charge on average, whether that's on 75, 85, or 50 kWh. Doesn't really matter.

Dan

There should be a LR price drop, Elon has said the cost is going below $100KWH. So for 20KWH more it should be $2000 + 20%(profit) = $2,400.00. Factoring in the Cost drop on the base battery. there should be no additional cost for the LR battery or a price drop of the base model.
I wouldn't expect this to ever happen, unless it's years down the road. True, they dropped the price on the 75 Model S, but that was five years after it went on sale and included changes in options and what not.

As they improve efficiencies on Model 3 production, they'll want to pocket every last penny (as they should) to remain as profitable as possible.

Reactions: Asad1087
There should be a LR price drop, Elon has said the cost is going below $100KWH. So for 20KWH more it should be $2000 + 20%(profit) = $2,400.00. Factoring in the Cost drop on the base battery. there should be no additional cost for the LR battery or a price drop of the base model.

Using that logic: There should be an EAP price drop: the incremental cost to Tesla is $0, so add 20%(profit) and give it to everyone for FREE! ;)

As others have stated, Tesla will not likely drop the price soon, if at all, for the difference in range. That extra $$$ should be going towards Tesla's expansion efforts -- more SuperChargers, upgrading to v3 SuperChargers, Model Y, new Gigafactory in China and Europe, etc... They have a LOT of stuff coming up on their plate, and they need to be cash flow positive. There are so many people lined up for a Model 3 worldwide that there is no way they run out of customers willing to pay that $9k premium anytime in the next couple of years.

Until they get real competition with similar class of cars, similar features, and ranges, but for cheaper prices, then they should not be dropping prices just because they are getting higher margins. They should be shoving those profits back into their business to expand.

As others have stated, Tesla will not likely drop the price soon, if at all, for the difference in range. That extra $$$ should be going towards Tesla's expansion efforts -- more SuperChargers, upgrading to v3 SuperChargers, Model Y, new Gigafactory in China and Europe, etc... They have a LOT of stuff coming up on their plate, and they need to be cash flow positive. There are so many people lined up for a Model 3 worldwide that there is no way they run out of customers willing to pay that $9k premium anytime in the next couple of years.

Until they get real competition with similar class of cars, similar features, and ranges, but for cheaper prices, then they should not be dropping prices just because they are getting higher margins. They should be shoving those profits back into their business to expand.

Except it is being reported that if you want a LR with premium package and order now the wait will be much shorter than expected. Make someone wonder how far they are thru the existing reservations. How many are waiting for the cheaper version. Maybe the demand is not what they have been saying?

Or are waiting for the more expensive versions.
This.

I am a day 2 online reservation holder, and I don't even have my invite to configure the LR PUP. But even when I get it, I'm waiting for AWD. I'm betting a large number of people who already got the invite are waiting for AWD or P, though definitely a good portion of those people will also be wanting the SR. It's hard to say what the breakdown is without any official numbers from Tesla, or stats on expected preferences.

Reactions: jgs