TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is a 2016 Model S built after September 2016 eligible for FSD?

Discussion in 'Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD' started by CoryARamirez, Dec 28, 2019.

1. CoryARamirez

CoryARamirez Member

Looking into buying a used MS from Tesla. From what I've been researching, it appears that the vehicles built post September 2016 have the HW2(?) autopilot w/ the front bumper refresh and thus would be eligible for the new FSD chip upgrade if I were to purchase the FSD package. Is this true? Sorry if I'm asking this incorrectly.

Thanks!

2. strangecosmos2

strangecosmos2 Koopa Troopa

I think actually only Teslas built from October 19, 2016 onward have HW2:

All Tesla Cars Being Produced Now Have Full Self-Driving Hardware

Maybe some built before that date also have it, but I would ask Tesla to give you a definite answer on whether the Model S you're looking at has HW1 or HW2 if the website doesn't specify.

3. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Elon Musk tweeted that Hardware 2 and above can be retrofitted with the new Self Driving computer.

The date of manufacturing is a good indicator but I wouldn't count on it until I can verify whether it has Hardware 2 or not.

After that, you might need to make sure you can pay for FSD.

Although Elon Musk says yes you "can" but that doesn't mean Tesla used car policy says you always can.

• Helpful x 1