Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a 270 mile interstate leg feasible from a 100% charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll write up a trip report after I drive this leg (not until August). I'm betting that it won't be an issue at all. I'm just going to set autopilot to 65mph and then speed up if it's looking like it won't be a problem.

Looking forward to seeing that trip report.

Keep an eye on your efficiency in various weather conditions at various speeds as you drive the vehicle between now and August. You'll get a better feel for what distances you can trust the car to complete. Divide 75,000 by whatever your Wh/mile rating is, and you'll get a rough estimate of the range you'd have if the entire drive was in those conditions with no stops.

For example, if you find you're getting 312 Wh/mile:
75,000 / 312 = approximately 240 miles total range in those conditions.

On the other hand if you're getting 228 Wh/mile:
75,000 / 228 = approximately 329 miles total range in those conditions.

You're going to need to get AT MOST 277 Wh/mile to make it the 270 miles. The farther below that, the less the risk of running out if conditions worsen. Also, be aware that the watt hours that are sucked out of the vehicle (by the A/C, the electronics, and whatever other power draws the vehicle likes to use) while it is parked are NOT included in the Wh/mile calculation that is displayed to you. As such, if you stop along the way at all, you'll want to keep in mind that 75,000 is no longer a good estimate of total watt hours available for the drive.

In the end, it's mostly going to depend on things like weather (rain and head winds will eat through kWh), temperature (warmer weather will allow more range to be pulled from the battery, but it it's too warm then A/C will begin to eat back into that range), changes in elevation, and speed. Personally, if I didn't feel comfortable that I'd have at least 45 miles (or about 15%) left when I got to the end of the drive, then I'd probably consider finding another route, finding somewhere to charge a bit along the way, or taking a different vehicle. To have that much left, you're going to want to see AT MOST 237 Wh/mile

• Informative
Reactions: kelly
To follow up on DannyHamilton's excellent post, I went back and looked at my numbers from my recent road trip. Using the mileages I gave you above, here are the Wh/mile numbers for each of those legs. Keep in mind I was driving 78 mph on average.

Gothenburg, NE to Colby, KS = Began with 226 miles on the battery. Drove 161 actual miles arrived in Colby with 53 miles on the battery. I drove 161 actual miles but used 173 battery miles. Actual miles X 1.08 = battery miles. For that 161 miles, I got 252 Wh/mile.

Colby, KS to Limon, CO - Began with 258 miles on the battery. Drove 145 actual miles and arrived in Limon with 89 miles on the battery. I drove 145 actual miles but used 169 battery miles. Actual miles X 1.17 = battery miles. For that 145 miles, I got 275 Wh/mile.

Albuquerque, NM to Gallup, NM - Began with 233 miles on the battery. Drove 147 actual miles and arrived in Gallup with 57 miles on the battery. I drove 147 actual miles but used 176 battery miles. Actual miles X 1.2 = battery miles. For that 147 miles, I got 278 Wh/mile.

Gallup to Holbrook, AZ - Began with 226 miles on the battery. Drove 88 actual miles and arrived in Holbrook with 132 miles on the battery. I drove 88 actual miles but used 94 battery miles. Actual miles X 1.07 = battery miles. For that 88 miles, I got 248 Wh/mile.
Looking forward to seeing that trip report.

Keep an eye on your efficiency in various weather conditions at various speeds as you drive the vehicle between now and August. You'll get a better feel for what distances you can trust the car to complete. Divide 75,000 by whatever your Wh/mile rating is, and you'll get a rough estimate of the range you'd have if the entire drive was in those conditions with no stops.

For example, if you find you're getting 312 Wh/mile:
75,000 / 312 = approximately 240 miles total range in those conditions.

On the other hand if you're getting 228 Wh/mile:
75,000 / 228 = approximately 329 miles total range in those conditions.

You're going to need to get AT MOST 277 Wh/mile to make it the 270 miles. The farther below that, the less the risk of running out if conditions worsen. Also, be aware that the watt hours that are sucked out of the vehicle (by the A/C, the electronics, and whatever other power draws the vehicle likes to use) while it is parked are NOT included in the Wh/mile calculation that is displayed to you. As such, if you stop along the way at all, you'll want to keep in mind that 75,000 is no longer a good estimate of total watt hours available for the drive.

In the end, it's mostly going to depend on things like weather (rain and head winds will eat through kWh), temperature (warmer weather will allow more range to be pulled from the battery, but it it's too warm then A/C will begin to eat back into that range), changes in elevation, and speed. Personally, if I didn't feel comfortable that I'd have at least 45 miles (or about 15%) left when I got to the end of the drive, then I'd probably consider finding another route, finding somewhere to charge a bit along the way, or taking a different vehicle. To have that much left, you're going to want to see AT MOST 237 Wh/mile

Drafting is Super dangerous, IMO, even if you don’t care about debris.

Don't have to get right up on the ass of the truck for it to be beneficial.

My 3's screen went black a few days after I picked it up. I had a loaner S100D while Tesla fixed it. This occurred right before a planned road trip to Wisconsin, Tesla said take the S with free supercharging. On the way back* our original estimate for Miner, Mo to Little Rock, AR was 5% remaining, with warnings to keep the speed down in the 60s. We had the car set to 4 (which seemed to be following distance of the two second rule), and followed trucks less than half the time. Doing that we were able to keep up with traffic at speeds of 75+ and arrived with 17%.

That trip, followed by one in my 3 to return my nephew home, gave us experience with the 3 and S. My folks and nephew preferred the 3.

* wasn't an issue on the way up as we stayed at a Best Western in Little Rock with Destination Charger (72amp!). Distance from there to Miner was less than from the Little Rock Supercharger, and morning traffic getting out of town kept our speed low enough that by the time traffic cleared the reduced speed warning to make it to Miner was long gone.

IMG_9892.jpg IMG_9890.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Acps110
I wish I had some scientific evidence for you, but what I will say, is that the M3 is extremely efficient from what I've experienced at highway speeds.

We took a 400 mile trip in our S60 last year and we used in excess of 30% of the stated range at 75 mph (Tampa to Miami). Range anxiety was serious for my wife, barely made it between superchargers.

Doing the same trip, at the same time of year, the M3 only used in excess of 10% of the stated range.

There may have been something wrong with my S60 for all I know, but this is the only comparison that I can give you.

With that being said, I wouldn't risk it since you're so close to the MAX expectation. Better to play it safe and stop than to risk the vehicle shutting down 20 miles from the nearest SC.

When I used to draft my Honda Insight behind trucks from SF to LA I took the car from a Lifetime Average of 55 MPG to 93.5 MPG. Got down and back on a single 10 gallon tank of gas. It's possibly more efficient than driving the Model 3 to LA and back. I know it's nice to have the AutoPilot watching the truck, but I felt secure when I was doing the driving myself in the Honda. There is so little you need to do, truck getting closer? Release the gas. Still coming? Hit the brakes. Pretty easy. Not much else you need to think about when you are following the driver of a big truck.

-Randy
Nothing to worry about unless someone worries about needing a windshield replacement every 1000 miles or so.

Oddly I am still on my first windshield after 150K and 18 years of driving. The windshield is at a steep angle to be aerodynamic, I thought that might be why I have yet to get a chip in it. Then I got a chip in my Model 3 on the second road trip I took and I was NO WHERE NEAR a semi at the time. Same with the annual chip in the RV windshield, usually riding directly behind a truck protects you from things that are flying, it's when you get further back that things bounce up and hit you. Not that I live behind a truck in the Insight, but since the car has no cruise control it's a good way of limiting my speed.

-Randy

Not that I live behind a truck in the Insight, but since the car has no cruise control it's a good way of limiting my speed.

-Randy
Cruise control was the first thing I added to my insight, made all the difference once tweaked for better mileage. Still had the factory windshield until the 2 inch hail storm caught me 2 years ago and also punched through the fender. Now that the MS is in use, i have found a good new home for the insight.

The car will want you to stop in Little Rock for 1 hour an 10 minutes and then route you through Tulsa(Catoosa supercharger) then down to OKC which is a 272 mile leg. There was another Model 3 owner than did Little Rock to Miner,Mo which is a 274 mile leg. I think its very doable is you stay below 70.

Is there a thread on that 274 mile leg? I couldn't find it by searching.
I believe that was in a facebook group. They guy was driving his 3 from Tx to Michigan or Minnesota. He made it. There are a few hotels with destination charging along I40 between Little Rock and the AR/OK state line. I looked at a trip from Memphis to Okc and it routed me through Tulsa so that leg is doable. The wife took our 3 to Texas yesterday and the Texarkana supercharger was down. She did Little Rock to Sulphur Springs,Tx at 65 mph.