Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a 360 view cam possible with a software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how 360/birds eye view cams work. Is this feature possible with a just a software update in current Tesla's using the cameras equipped or is this not possible with the current hardware?
It's not possible with current hardware. The side rear facing autopilot cameras don't see in color and the viewing angle is not optimal. You need an additional camera somewhere near the front bumper and downward facing cameras under each rearview mirror. I wished Tesla would get with the program and include these already!! My Leaf had them and it was a 2013!

Reactions: JohnnyG and MP3Mike
just got my Tesla 3 and although it is amazing to drive, I am astonished by the lack of the 360 view and blind-spot monitor. Please Tesla, add this ASAP before I put a stupid scratch on my $60k toy. Go drive a new Leaf (just not very far of course), and you'll see what I mean.

Reactions: cwerdna
just got my Tesla 3 and although it is amazing to drive, I am astonished by the lack of the 360 view and blind-spot monitor. Please Tesla, add this ASAP before I put a stupid scratch on my $60k toy. Go drive a new Leaf (just not very far of course), and you'll see what I mean.
For those unaware, the Leaf doesn't need to be that new but it's not standard either. The 360 degree camera w/birds-eye virtual overhead view Nissan calls Around View Monitor. It was 1st available on the '13 Leaf as part of the premium package. That package is available on the SV and SL trims (middle and top trims). I have owned my used '13 SV w/premium since mid-2015. My previous (was leased) Leaf was a '13 SV w/premium and quick charge + LED headlights package, so I've had the feature for over 5 years.

Nissan has made it available on cars as lowly as the econobox Versa Note.

Unfortunately, for the US '18 and '19 Leaf, it seems only be available on the SL (top) trim, where it comes standard. So, if one wants to see it in action on a Leaf, it needs to be a '13 to '17 w/premium package (only available with SV or SL trims) or an '18 to '19 SL. Or, ask for another Nissan vehicle w/Around View Monitor.

A whole bunch of other automakers have similar features available (e.g. BMW and Audi; some are FAR fancier than what Nissan provides). See 360 camera view and hotspot for some example videos.

Last edited: