TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is a 360 view cam possible with a software update?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by viper2ko, Apr 29, 2018.

1. viper2ko

viper2ko Member

Not sure how 360/birds eye view cams work. Is this feature possible with a just a software update in current Tesla's using the cameras equipped or is this not possible with the current hardware?

2. djstryker

djstryker Member

It's not possible with current hardware. The side rear facing autopilot cameras don't see in color and the viewing angle is not optimal. You need an additional camera somewhere near the front bumper and downward facing cameras under each rearview mirror. I wished Tesla would get with the program and include these already!! My Leaf had them and it was a 2013!

• Like x 2
  3. chispas

chispas Member

4. mbuebel

mbuebel Member

just got my Tesla 3 and although it is amazing to drive, I am astonished by the lack of the 360 view and blind-spot monitor. Please Tesla, add this ASAP before I put a stupid scratch on my $60k toy. Go drive a new Leaf (just not very far of course), and you'll see what I mean.

• Like x 1
  5. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#5 cwerdna, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    For those unaware, the Leaf doesn't need to be that new but it's not standard either. The 360 degree camera w/birds-eye virtual overhead view Nissan calls Around View Monitor. It was 1st available on the '13 Leaf as part of the premium package. That package is available on the SV and SL trims (middle and top trims). I have owned my used '13 SV w/premium since mid-2015. My previous (was leased) Leaf was a '13 SV w/premium and quick charge + LED headlights package, so I've had the feature for over 5 years.

Nissan has made it available on cars as lowly as the econobox Versa Note.

Unfortunately, for the US '18 and '19 Leaf, it seems only be available on the SL (top) trim, where it comes standard. So, if one wants to see it in action on a Leaf, it needs to be a '13 to '17 w/premium package (only available with SV or SL trims) or an '18 to '19 SL. Or, ask for another Nissan vehicle w/Around View Monitor.

A whole bunch of other automakers have similar features available (e.g. BMW and Audi; some are FAR fancier than what Nissan provides). See 360 camera view and hotspot for some example videos.

6. mbuebel

mbuebel Member

why doesn't my tesla have this 360 view? it can't be that hard? and given how expensive this car is,i really don't want to accidentally scrape any of it on a curb, landscaping, other vehicle, etc.

7. scottrobertson

Because Tesla's point of view is that the car should just park itself, you should not need to know what is around you. Obviously that takes time, but that is their goal.

8. shellderp

shellderp Member

Well until that works, they should provide comparable features to other modern cars. That is no excuse and people need to stop saying this.