Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a 4-bike rack for Model X doable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There seems to be confusion about tongue weight vs towing capacity. Tongue weight is rated at the hitch where a ball would normally be located. Bike racks are much further from where a ball would sit. The more bikes you have, the more leverage you have on the hitch. It's even worse when your bikes are bouncing around back there. Do what you want to do, just keep that all in mind.

IMG_2615.png

Mine is a Y, but I think I’ve found the best solution for the X & Y hitch capacity challenge for bike lovers.

The Saris SuperClamp EX 4.
View attachment 642884View attachment 642885View attachment 642886View attachment 642887
True rack sits super close to the car and the bikes sit closer also and it weighs 30-40% less than other 4 bike platform racks. Greatly reducing the torque on the Tesla hitch.
It folds up so low it can’t be seen through the rear window. So close in fact one of the Shepard arms needs to be folded out - pictured sticking out wide of the rear bumper ~1”
any issue with the rack or the hitch so far?