Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a 7-seater with the 3rd row folded down the same as a 5-seater?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder whether a 7-seater with the 3rd row folded down is the same as a 5-seater. If it is the case, does that mean a 7-seater is a better choice?
What do you mean “the same”? They are obviously different.

If you mean, will you get the same amount of usable space in the cargo area with the seats folded? Yes.

If you mean, will you get the same amount of storage space overall? No. The 3rd row needs to go somewhere when folded.

Is a 7 seater a better choice? That’s up to you. It costs more and you lose the under-trunk storage area.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mako11
What do you mean “the same”? They are obviously different.

If you mean, will you get the same amount of usable space in the cargo area with the seats folded? Yes.

If you mean, will you get the same amount of storage space overall? No. The 3rd row needs to go somewhere when folded.

Is a 7 seater a better choice? That’s up to you. It costs more and you lose the under-trunk storage area.
Thanks! My understanding is that a 7 seater is a 5 seater with the 3rd-row seats, which occupy a small space in the trunk and slightly increase the total weight. Except for this, all other things are identical.

Wasn't there something about the middle seat not being the same?

The 2nd row seat must move in the 7-seater, in order to get into the 3rd row. The 2nd row seat does not move in the 5-seater (tilts and folds flat, but does not move).

1649676546901.png

Great information! Is it possible to move the middle seats backward to give more legroom than the 5 seaters?
Not from what I saw. Apparently, the middle seats moved ALL the way back is the same as a five seater’s nonmovable second row. By sliding the second row forward, you basically sacrifice second row legroom for third row legroom.

One of the reasons I passed on this option: what appears initially good on paper is full of compromises on space and comfort. However, if you really need those two extra seats, go for it!

I am 5'11" and can very comfortably sit behind myself in all three rows. Sliding the 2nd row forward doesn't make it useless or really any less comfortable. We've done 3+ hours with a car full of adults with no legroom complaints, though of course it's more sensible to put the shortest people, who have no reason to live, in the 3rd row

This is not the case in the Y, it's critically smaller in a few key dimensions - I can fit in the 3rd row, but it is not comfortable nor would it be comfortable sitting next to another person my size. X is just that little bit wider, taller, and longer to where the 3rd row can legitimately carry average size adults for reasonable distances, where IMO the Y 3rd row is very much meant for small people and is meant as a better, safer, more comfortable alternative to the jump seat they used to offer in the S. I would still get it if I was ordering a Y, because the flexibility to take 1 car instead of 2 cars, or 2 instead of 3, is always nice to have.

Obviously if you don't need the 3rd row, don't pay for it and carry it around all the time, but it's not much of a compromise IMO. The biggest annoyance is the gap between the 3rd row and the 2nd row means you will lose anything that rolls and is small enough to fit through the gap

Last edited:
Reactions: jboy210
For practicality purposes, the 7 seater is a better option. Adults can fit in all three rows unlike the Model Y third row which is comically small. The 5 seater version has a little more underfloor storage as there is a second false floor that can be raised but it's not a ton of storage room (good for charging cable bag, flatter items, etc...).

Also if going 7 seater, make sure you get 2018 or newer so it has the newer seats. The original (2016/2017) 7 seater had the floating pedestal seats in the middle (like the 6 seater has now) which was probably cool to move independently of each other BUT they could not fold down which robbed a ton of internal cargo space.

For practicality purposes, the 7 seater is a better option. Adults can fit in all three rows unlike the Model Y third row which is comically small. The 5 seater version has a little more underfloor storage as there is a second false floor that can be raised but it's not a ton of storage room (good for charging cable bag, flatter items, etc...).

Also if going 7 seater, make sure you get 2018 or newer so it has the newer seats. The original (2016/2017) 7 seater had the floating pedestal seats in the middle (like the 6 seater has now) which was probably cool to move independently of each other BUT they could not fold down which robbed a ton of internal cargo space.
Exactly right. I have an April 2017 build and this is the only regret I have with this car. Having never ridden in the second row of a ‘fold-flat’ variation, I can’t really compare the comfort, but I can honestly say that I’ve never minded the few times I’ve ridden in the second row of my X; even for long trips. The pedestal seats are very comfortable, at least.

Exactly right. I have an April 2017 build and this is the only regret I have with this car. Having never ridden in the second row of a ‘fold-flat’ variation, I can’t really compare the comfort, but I can honestly say that I’ve never minded the few times I’ve ridden in the second row of my X; even for long trips. The pedestal seats are very comfortable, at least.
if youre in the third row, can you fit your legs under the 2nd row around the pedestals? from the pictures it looks like theres a ton of room under the 2nd row seats in the 6 seat config, no idea how much room is under the 2nd row for your feet/legs in the 7 seat config.

im thinking reading leg room specs doesnt really give me the whole picture

I went back and forth on which to get. Obviously if you need the extra seats, get them. But we didn't, so I got the 5-seater. I saved some money and got some more space (where the 3rd row would fold)...

...but once I got the car, I realized that extra space was not very big, kind of hard to reach (especially if you have a cargo mat back there), and anything you put in there would tumble backwards in to the deeper rear trunk well when you accelerate. So, for a while, I kind of figured the 7-seater would have been better, but no big loss because I still didn't need it.

Then I learned that Tesla sells (or sold - I don't see it in the store now!) an accessory lid for the trunk well, that makes a large flat space underneath the main floor. So you have the main floor, a space about 3' x 4' x 6" beneath that, and then the trunk well beneath that. I bought one, things no longer fell in to the trunk well, and I was pretty happy. Tire patching and emergency stuff went in the trunk well, charging equipment, window shades, packing blankets and such went in the subfloor, and the main floor was generally bare and ready for cargo.

Then we switched from summer/winter tire sets to a single set of all-seasons, plus a Modern Spare. The modern spare fits perfectly in to that 6" subfloor (along with charging equipment, and there's still extra space).

Now I'm really happy I have the 5-seater. But of course, your situation may be different, which is why Tesla offers the option...

Last edited:
I went back and forth on which to get. Obviously if you need the extra seats, get them. But we didn't, so I got the 5-seater. I saved some money and got some more space (where the 3rd row would fold)...

...but once I got the car, I realized that extra space was not very big, kind of hard to reach (especially if you have a cargo mat back there), and anything you put in there would tumble backwards in to the deeper rear trunk well when you accelerate. So, for a while, I kind of figured the 7-seater would have been better, but no big loss because I still didn't need it.

Then I learned that Tesla sells (or sold - I don't see it in the store now!) an accessory lid for the trunk well, that makes a large flat space underneath the main floor. So you have the main floor, a space about 3' x 4' x 6" beneath that, and then the trunk well beneath that. I bought one, things no longer fell in to the trunk well, and I was pretty happy. Tire patching and emergency stuff went in the trunk well, charging equipment, window shades, packing blankets and such went in the subfloor, and the main floor was generally bare and ready for cargo.

Then we switched from summer/winter tire sets to a single set of all-seasons, plus a Modern Spare. The modern spare fits perfectly in to that 6" subfloor (along with charging equipment, and there's still extra space).

Now I'm really happy I have the 5-seater. But of course, your situation may be different, which is why Tesla offers the option...
This accessory lid sounds interesting. However, since they don't sell this anymore, could you take a picture sometime and post it here? I assume it is just a piece of plywood or other material with some carpet material and might be something one could make at home.

Sure. Although there's a spare tire sitting on it so these photos won't show the whole thing clearly.

Here is the back of my wife's 5-seater Model X. Underneath the pet cover is the optional Tesla rubber cargo liner (you can just see it along the edges). Underneath that are the two "false floor" panels that Tesla provides to make a flat load space from the bumper (you only get one in 6 and 7 seaters, because the third-row seats are taking that space). Both are the full width of the car (roughly 39"?); you can pull them up independently to access the storage space underneath them. The closer one is over the deep trunk well; the farther one is bigger, but is only over the ~6"-deep space that the 3rd-row seats would take.
PXL_20220417_010149753.jpg

In this photo I've removed the closer false-floor panel that everyone gets (and folded back the pet barrier and cargo mat over the second false-floor panel that comes with the 5-seater). You can see that it's not very deep - not like the normal trunk well - because there is an optional panel in the foreground. Bottom center, you can barely see the handle to lift up the optional panel in question.:
PXL_20220417_010354355.jpg

Here's a better picture of the handle of the optional cover over the trunk well:
PXL_20220417_010435066.jpg

Last edited:
There is a 2nd ac compressor in 6/7 seater (pre-refresh), not sure about 2022 models
Condenser. There is a second A/C condenser which services the outboard vents on the second and third rows (these vents weren't supposed to exist in 5 seat versions prior to the refresh and might not have airflow if they did exist, but Tesla did plenty of strange things, so YMMV). There is still only one A/C compressor when you have a 6 or 7 seater.

Reactions: pereiks
Sure. Although there's a spare tire sitting on it so these photos won't show the whole thing clearly.

Here is the back of my wife's 5-seater Model X. Underneath the pet cover is the optional Tesla rubber cargo liner (you can just see it along the edges). Underneath that are the two "false floor" panels that Tesla provides to make a flat load space from the bumper (you only get one in 6 and 7 seaters, because the third-row seats are taking that space). Both are the full width of the car (roughly 39"?); you can pull them up independently to access the storage space underneath them. The closer one is over the deep trunk well; the farther one is bigger, but is only over the ~6"-deep space that the 3rd-row seats would take.
View attachment 794427

In this photo I've removed the closer false-floor panel that everyone gets (and folded back the pet barrier and cargo mat over the second false-floor panel that comes with the 5-seater). You can see that it's not very deep - not like the normal trunk well - because there is an optional panel in the foreground. Bottom center, you can barely see the handle to lift up the optional panel in question.:
View attachment 794429

Here's a better picture of the handle of the optional cover over the trunk well:
View attachment 794430
Thanks for the detailed description. Nice to see a spare down there!

This thread really helped me decide between the 5 and 7 seater Model X... For a while I leaned towards the 7 seater as the extra AC vents sounded great for my two Huskies but since there is that massive space between the seats when they are folded flat I'm leaning towards the 5 seater now. I wouldn't want them to drop a paw down there or have something weird happen with that space. Thanks everyone!