Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a backup mobile connector necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I sold my old m3sr few months ago to carvana and forgot to include the mobile connector that came with it. I now have a m3lr and wondering if I should sell the new one or keep it as a backup. Does it help to have a backup? Why?
Thanks

If one doesn't have a wall connector you could set up the additional mobile connector in a less stressful way on the plug and make it semi permanent.

Then you could always have the mobile connector with you at all times in the car. Might depend on ones use and traveling. Sometimes things come up.

Doubt Carvana could connect the car owner with mobile connector after 3 months, and would likely end up sold on ebay.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Well, "backup" is "backup". It is useless and collecting dust until you need it. I think if you need the money, sell it now. If you don't, I don't think the price of mobile connector will go down much. If anything, it will probably go up. You could always sell it later and keeping it now as backup.

Depending on when you ordered you may not get a mobile connector with the car (April 17 I believe was the cutoff date). So hang onto it before letting it go and make sure your backup is not really your primary.
They're still being delivered with the mobile connector. As a current resident of the waiting room I've seen people with order dates as late as June 11th receive new builds (VINs in the 280s+) with the connector included.

Nobody knows why they're still included or when they'll actually stop since Tesla is pretty much uncommunicative on most issues.

FWIW I ordered a 2nd one back in 2018 when I got my car thinking it'd be super handy and smart to keep one in the car while leaving the other plugged in full time at home for home charging.

I've used the 2nd one maybe 3 times in 4 years?

If the original died (like, entirely, to where I couldn't charge 110v either) and didn't have a spare there's enough SCs round I could get by until I got a new one from Tesla-- so unless you live REALLY remotely, OR you take frequent road trips where you need a mobile charger at the destination, you're probably better off just selling the spare if you can easily find a buyer.

Reactions: bizdock
Depends on your personality. If you are the kind of guy who will be sitting on his couch watching TV and who will then suddenly start screaming “ROAD TRIP” and before he knows it he is halfway to Vegas on Route 66, then you might end up glad that you pre-stashed a spare mobile connector in your frunk.

Reactions: dhrivnak
It depends.....

If you stick to the interstate highways and the Supercharger network when you travel, you don't need it.
If you never go camping at campgrounds, you don't need it.
If friends and family that you visit do not have handy access to a wall plug, you don't need it.

But if you fancy drives off the beaten path that may not have J1772 or if they do they are unreliable, you might need it.
If you take the family camping at campgrounds with full hook ups, you might need it.
If you visit friends and family and they have a handy wall outlet, you might need it.

This assumes that you use the other mobile connector at home to charge.

I never purchased a second one when we bought our 2014 S85. Although in those days, Superchargers were 1/12th what they are today. I reckon I've used the mobile connector over a dozen times since--usually to top off at campgrounds for about an hour in the middle of a 250-mile leg, or to charge overnight at certain facilities that have a few outside outlets (I bought the 20A adapter to charge at 1.9kW instead of 1.44kW with the 15A). You'd be amazed how much charge you can get at a motel from a 20A plug for a 10-12 hour session--usually enough to skip the first SC in the morning.

I wouldn't call it necessarily but it's peace of mind. There are a number of scenarios where it could be useful: What if you get to a charger with a low SoC and it's out of order? Maybe you want to go camping and charge overnight. Or to an AirBnB.

There are two reasons for having a backup. The first is so that you can carry it around all the time. Even when you do charge away from home, you most often will be using actual charging stations, not wall plugs. You can always take the one you use at home with you when you go on road trips for peace of mind. So unless you are visiting RV parks or some such regularly, I'd say you don't need to bother with one in your car all the time.

The second reason would be so that if your mobile connector breaks, you're ready with a backup to use charging at home. If you've got public charging (or better Supercharging) available reasonably nearby, then you should be able to bridge a small gap while you wait for a replacment. If you don't and you're really worried about being stuck waiting for a replacement, then get the backup.

I just got an EV6 and setup a charging solution for an old dryer plug. However, we plan to use the mobile connector to travel with as it has a ton of adapters available for it. Its actually a very nice portable charging unit even compared to other solutions on the market due to its adaptability.

I just got an EV6 and setup a charging solution for an old dryer plug. However, we plan to use the mobile connector to travel with as it has a ton of adapters available for it. Its actually a very nice portable charging unit even compared to other solutions on the market due to its adaptability.
We thought we would use the mobile connector to airbnb or something, but turns out that most (all that I have been) do not let you park inside the garage. In order to reach any outlet (of any type), you will need to carry a very very long extension cable as well. An then even if you have all the adapters for the mobile connector, you can't carry like 3 or 4 different type of extension cables. So really the mobile connector would really only be useful if you are staying at a friend/relative house on a trip. You maybe able to find a campground with 14-50 outlets that you could use but changes are it would be easier to find a Chargepoint J1772 charger.

For the first few trips, I put the MC in the frunk with my 110v and 240v adapters. it was never used. So the last 3 years, I didn't even bother to disconnect it.

So I sold my old m3sr few months ago to carvana and forgot to include the mobile connector that came with it. I now have a m3lr and wondering if I should sell the new one or keep it as a backup. Does it help to have a backup? Why?

In the ~4 years of TM3P ownership, I've always kept my mobile connector kit in the frunk, at all times.
I've used it exactly 0 (zero) times in all those years.

~90% of the time I charge at home.
The remainder is either at work, or somewhere on the road via a supercharger or some other L2 charging network setup (J1772 adopter comes in handy).

YMMV,
a

This is something that doesn't come with the tesla right? I don't think I have it. Any links for good quality ones? Thanks.
As far as I know all new Teslas from the factory will come with a J1772 adapter. They can be several areas: center console, glove compartment, lower trunk. In addition to Amazon, you can find them on eBay. Occasionally, you can also find them at shop.tesla.com.