Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is A/C Coolant Covered Under Used Tesla Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I purchased a used 2017 X (29k miles at purchase) directly from the Tesla website 3 months ago. I have scoured every used tesla warranty page I can find, and I noticed that they mention they perform a “145-point” inspection prior to resale, but I cannot locate anything that says what those points actually are.

My primary issue is that my (HORRIBLE…) service center just charged me $832 when I brought the car in because (among other issues) the A/C was not performing as expected. The tech diagnosed the problem as the refrigerant being low and having not been replaced since the car was brand new.

I would presume refilling A/C refrigerant would be a part of a 145-point inspection, no?

As an aside, I will never ever buy a used Tesla ever again. This car has forced a neverending stream of incredibly inconvenient service appointments upon me, made only worse by the wholly and utterly incompetent service center I must go to (Buena Park, CA).

Yes I’ve had to take this car to Santa Ana a couple of times as well, and for the most part, they’ve definitely been much better. Their manager even basically admitted to me that the Buena Park manager had lied to me when they referred me to Santa Ana because Buena Park supposedly couldn’t do anything about paint issues.

Refrigerant should not need to be replaced. It does not wear out (*) and does not get consumed. If it is low it likely has a leak that needs to be addressed.

I would think an AC leak would be covered under warranty. But a 2017 would be out of warranty?

I’m not sure that checking refrigerant levels would be on a checklist. Checking vent temp should be and that would indicate a potential problem.

(*) they do suggest a desiccant bag replacement which requires refrigerant to be pumped out and replaced. That is a maintenance item and not covered. Not sure current recommended interval.

Refrigerant should not need to be replaced. It does not wear out (*) and does not get consumed. If it is low it likely has a leak that needs to be addressed.

I would think an AC leak would be covered under warranty. But a 2017 would be out of warranty?

I’m not sure that checking refrigerant levels would be on a checklist. Checking vent temp should be and that would indicate a potential problem.

(*) they do suggest a desiccant bag replacement which requires refrigerant to be pumped out and replaced. That is a maintenance item and not covered. Not sure current recommended interval.
Even a desiccant bag/cartridge should not need replacement unless air got in, which would be the case if it leaked. It's just there to absorb residual moisture (which should be minimal) after they pull vacuum.

Even a desiccant bag/cartridge should not need replacement unless air got in, which would be the case if it leaked. It's just there to absorb residual moisture (which should be minimal) after they pull vacuum.
What I have read on the desiccant bag is over time the dessiccant can possibly break down into dust and contaminate the system. True or not, no clue.

I do agree that the primary purpose is to get rid of any initial moisture.

What I have read on the desiccant bag is over time the dessiccant can possibly break down into dust and contaminate the system. True or not, no clue.

I do agree that the primary purpose is to get rid of any initial moisture.
My father used to install, repair, and maintain AC systems and I've never heard of this. I also don't see this in any of the repair manuals.

Refrigerant isn’t just topped off. If it’s low, there’s a leak that needs to be corrected. The system would need evacuation and dehydration. I’ve never heard of a bag of dessicant, maybe they meant filter-drier which would also be changed in the repair.
I haven’t looked at the Tesla A/C system, it may be fully hermetic without service ports.

Ok so basically they lied to me. Again. Thank you.

Also, since making this post, here’s another example of their insanity. *One* of the other problems I reported on this service visit was that both of the front windows squeal when rolled down. I was charged a flat $220 diagnostic fee for all of the problems I reported, including both the AC issue and the windows. The technician claimed the window problem was both A) not covered under warranty (it’s “not a manufacturing defect” just dirt inside the windows that needed to be cleaned, which I’ve never had happen in my 28 years of owning cars) and B) they cleaned out the window tracks “out of good will but customer will be responsible in the future”.

I was given my car back, told directly by the rep that the windows had been resolved, and drove off after they said everything was fixed. I needed to race to get my kid to a thing, so I didn’t get a chance to roll down windows until later. Sure enough, they aren’t fixed. I call back. The service center says I need to make a new service appointment (the next “available” slot is 2 weeks out), and also that I will need to pre-authorize a $220 diagnostic fee…………..

I had to go up two levels of management, basically scream, and point out to each of them the absolute absurdity of charging yet another diagnostic fee for an issue they didn’t resolve in the first place, and which I’m still HIGHLY skeptical can’t be considered a manufacturing defect. We’re not talking about dirt on the window or even just a little bit below the seal. They’re saying it was dirt inside the very bottom of the window tracks beneath the doors themselves, an area which obviously you can’t reach or clean without dismantling the window/door. They finally relented and took the fee off, but this should have been automatic to begin with.

They basically tried to leverage their own incompetence against me into forcing me to pay even more money to them.

Last edited:
I don't know where the dessicant bag is, but it is a thing. Back before they decided to say that no routine maintenance was necessary, it was on the public list for at least one of the 12,500 mile "annual' services (they had years 1-4 and then you repeat from year 1 @ 62,500 miles).