Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is A/C motor really this loud?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this is not a defect, why are there some Model X's that do not have this issue under the same conditions (Example: starting up car on hot day with fan speed at 6)?
It all depends on the cooling needs at the time. Just because it's a hot day, doesn't mean the battery pack is excessively hot so the compressor and condenser fans might night spin up to full speed (especially if you manually set the cabin fan speed to 6). Before Tesla changed the access codes to get into the diagnostics screens on the Model S and X, there was a very nice graphical representation of the cooling system that would show all of the cooling routes and demands made by various parts of the car for cooling. https://images.hgmsites.net/hug/tes...nagement-screen-cleantechnica_100545969_h.jpg

It all depends on the cooling needs at the time. Just because it's a hot day, doesn't mean the battery pack is excessively hot so the compressor and condenser fans might night spin up to full speed (especially if you manually set the cabin fan speed to 6). Before Tesla changed the access codes to get into the diagnostics screens on the Model S and X, there was a very nice graphical representation of the cooling system that would show all of the cooling routes and demands made by various parts of the car for cooling. https://images.hgmsites.net/hug/tes...nagement-screen-cleantechnica_100545969_h.jpg
Wow! That diagram on the screen is the coolest thing ever! I wish we owners had access to that. I would pay some money to get access to it and the other similar diagnostic screens.

Last edited:
I put my car in service mode, and I touched the button that says diagnostics, but I'm afraid to proceed beyond that..

Attachments

• 4FB7D604-8A22-4548-B2E1-B8B593E837A7.jpeg
    4FB7D604-8A22-4548-B2E1-B8B593E837A7.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 852455F3-EA86-4095-A463-A58A7984E237.jpeg
    852455F3-EA86-4095-A463-A58A7984E237.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Informative
Reactions: Art VandeIay
Yeah, I too can only guess what key means.

I feel a little weird directly posting in this thread how I got service mode: I'll send you a PM. If some future visitor to this page *simply must know* right away, I don't need to get involved anyway, it's "on the internet" somewhere; search long enough and you'll find it..

Reactions: cobra
So in a related note to the AC noise …. I had a VERY loud buzzing/humming/vibration in our 2020 LR+. After some *great* work by the Paramus Service Center team, they figured it out!

turns out one of the bolts holding the compressor wasn’t fully torqued down. So the compressor itself was vibrating and rubbing against the frunk tub, amplifying the noise something fierce.

They re-torqued the bolts and everything is perfect.

The technician said it was a real mystery to figure it out, but figure it out they did! Kudos to #TeamParamus.