Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a glass screen protector really necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M3FNATIK

Recovering BMW Addict
Nov 9, 2019
SoCal
Isn't the screen already covered in glass (most likely a form of Gorilla glass?)? Its not like we are going to drop it like a cell phone. And I doubt anyone is going to punch it either haha. So no need for one right?

Isn't the screen already covered in glass (most likely a form of Gorilla glass?)? Its not like we are going to drop it like a cell phone. And I doubt anyone is going to punch it either haha. So no need for one right?

That's what I believe as well, but I will say that I have bumped it when reaching for things, and with my hard wedding ring as well. However, I still don't plan on putting any protection on my screen, as all it will do is increase reflections and reduce brightness/clarity (however minimal).

Thanks for sharing the link. Now I am convinced I need a matte screen protector to hedge any accidental hitting/cracking of the screen.

I wouldn’t, personally. Think about it. What % of people are putting screen protectors in their cars? Right. And now many cracked screens have you read about. I’d only read about that singular case, despite I’m sure there being others. Either way it’s few and far between.

Now, ever notice how warm the display runs? And you want to trap that heat in between that screen and a glass screen protector? I just think that’s not a good idea. But to each his/her own!

One fellow hit it with his phone in another thread
Fellow car pooler whacked the screen with his travel coffee mug
Skies partially in trunk with back seat folded down shot forward during winter braking
Ever see kids crack a flat screen tv. Try leaving them in your car
That said I had a screen protector it got cracked but the display was fine
Threw the fragments away, Haven’t replaced it yet :rolleyes:
Would like to get a Matt one

Reactions: M3FNATIK