Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a lack of instrumentation dangerous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And you'll have steering wheel controls for that in the model 3 it appears.

Audio controls on the steering wheel.. thats so 1999.

I guess i should be grateful they actually installed interior door handles and power window switches rather than put those on the touchscreen too. Imagine how much better that would be, all those switches and buttons they could eliminate. and no more looking at the armrest to see if if the window is going up or down.. :rolleyes:

• Disagree
Reactions: gambit48 and Topher
Rubbish..

When i press the button for the next radio station/CD/Track I don't look to see which one it is, I listen and do I like what I hear, if not press it again.
I turn the volume up, i don't care whether it is on level 10 or 12, i care whether its loud enough or too loud above road noise etc.

I look to make sure I hit the right thing when I can't find the correct function by feel, and I look to see what happened if something goes wrong and the result isn't what i expected/wanted.
Or, if you think it's going to be that much of a problem, don't buy a Model 3.

Honestly, unless the people on this thread who are severely worried about safety have actually taken a ride or a drive in a Model 3, long enough to actually develop a reasonable experience-based opinion, you're howling at the moon for no reason. And plenty of the posts are claiming there are problems (e.g., you can only use the screen to turn on the wipers!!! Horrors!!!!) where there is actually a stalk to do so.

Maybe I'm grumpy tonight. But get your facts STRAIGHT before bitching about stuff you have no knowledge (this last not specifically to FlyingKiwi).

Reactions: Dax279 and Runt8
Or, if you think it's going to be that much of a problem, don't buy a Model 3.

That is a serious probability at this stage

Honestly, unless the people on this thread who are severely worried about safety have actually taken a ride or a drive in a Model 3, long enough to actually develop a reasonable experience-based opinion, you're howling at the moon for no reason.

Yeah, because we've never used a touchscreen in car before, or are you claiming "But Tesla magic touchscreen is totally different"

And plenty of the posts are claiming there are problems (e.g., you can only use the screen to turn on the wipers!!! Horrors!!!!) where there is actually a stalk to do so.

Maybe I'm grumpy tonight. But get your facts STRAIGHT before bitching about stuff you have no knowledge (this last not specifically to FlyingKiwi).

Please explain how you turn the wipers on with the stalk... not just a single wipe. but actually turn them on. Or do you not have your facts straight?

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: mmd and Dax279
That is a serious probability at this stage
No problem -- to each their own.

Yeah, because we've never used a touchscreen in car before, or are you claiming "But Tesla magic touchscreen is totally different"
I've been using a Model S touchscreen for 4 years, and it's not a problem

Please explain how you turn the wipers on with the stalk... not just a single wipe. but actually turn them on. Or do you not have your facts straight?
I'm not the one complaining about the wipers. I don't know if I'll like however they have it set up either, I'm waiting to see it in person (it'll be late 2018 in Canada) and figure out what it's like before I make my final decision. That's what I'm suggesting others do -- see it, experience it, THEN you have some credibility expressing an opinion.

I've been using a Model S touchscreen for 4 years, and it's not a problem

You've been using the touchscreen to turn wipers on and headlights? Why don't you use the wiper stalk the S is equipped with?
(e.g., you can only use the screen to turn on the wipers!!! Horrors!!!!) where there is actually a stalk to do so.

I'm not the one complaining about the wipers. I don't know if I'll like however they have it set up either,

So you are telling people their complaint about the wipers aren't valid and to get their facts straight, even though you actually don't know how the wipers work?

As it stands you press the wiper button then manipulate the controls on the touchscreen. Even if they improve it by making it touch the button then use the scroll wheels its a crappy clumsy interface compared to a typical wiper stalk behind the steering wheel.

Had there been forums forty years ago we would have seen the same "is it dangerous" posts regarding things like ABS and traction control. No avoiding it really. For those who feel it's that big of a deal, hop out of line, no one will care. At this point you're getting what you're getting. The only way to change Tesla's mind is with your wallet. Vote with your dollars. I'm fine with the shift, so I'm voting in favor of it with mine.

I'm sure half the people here worried to death about it text and drive anyways . . .

Reactions: Dax279
You've been using the touchscreen to turn wipers on and headlights? Why don't you use the wiper stalk the S is equipped with?

So you are telling people their complaint about the wipers aren't valid and to get their facts straight, even though you actually don't know how the wipers work?

As it stands you press the wiper button then manipulate the controls on the touchscreen. Even if they improve it by making it touch the button then use the scroll wheels its a crappy clumsy interface compared to a typical wiper stalk behind the steering wheel.
I see that you just like to argue, and complain. I'm out. Good luck with whatever you finally decide.

Reactions: Dax279