Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a lack of instrumentation dangerous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but this is information not opinion:

"Yes my first post was click bait and a bit of a troll. I was surprised that no one had apparently picked up on what I consider one of the greatest features of the M3 "voice activated controls."

I'm not an electric car nut; the largest source of electric power station fuel is coal--it is filthy--and the Trump administration is dedicated to maintaining it. The reason why I ordered and M3 is to have the car of the future today. That's why I have to bite the bullet and layout $8000 for FSD. But combine that with voice activated controls and we are just one dimension away from Star Trek"

I don't know if you wrote your ad hominem without reading it or understanding it. But clearly it is one or the other.
Fasle information, as has been pointed out already.

I'm sorry, I missed the post with information. Can you repost that?

There were a few posts with speculation and FUD, but I'm sure it wasn't those that you are referring to.

Sorry I missed this post above. The post I was referencing was the one at the top of this page, which was also the post of mine that preceded the ad hominem post I was responding to.

Reactions: JeffK
Fasle information, as has been pointed out already.

You mean this ?

"ohmman said:
Close, but natural gas has eclipsed it".

"The biggest reason why natural gas has eclipse coal is because of the huge reduction in coal usage during the Obama administration. However, the Trump administration is devoted to eliminate all the Obama era regulations (and has actually already eliminated quite a few).
My point is that electricity is really not as clean as most think it is. But that is irrelevant to me; because for me the model 3 is the first true car of the future, in large part because of its fully voice activated controls."

You mean this ?

"ohmman said:
Close, but natural gas has eclipsed it".

"The biggest reason why natural gas has eclipse coal is because of the huge reduction in coal usage during the Obama administration. However, the Trump administration is devoted to eliminate all the Obama era regulations (and has actually already eliminated quite a few).
My point is that electricity is really not as clean as most think it is. But that is irrelevant to me; because for me the model 3 is the first true car of the future, in large part because of its fully voice activated controls."
Yes, that. The biggest reason is because natural gas has become much cheaper than coal, regardless of regulations. Getting rid of regulations on coal isn’t going to bring back the coal industry.

Reactions: X Fan and ohmman
Yes, that. The biggest reason is because natural gas has become much cheaper than coal, regardless of regulations. Getting rid of regulations on coal isn’t going to bring back the coal industry.

Getting rid of the regulations will make coal cheaper. Obama did have a war on coal (who knew he liked to breathe) look at the chart below and you will see that the precipitous decline in coal usage coalesces perfectly with his presidency.
More importantly, inasmuch as I was stating MY reasons for wanting an M3, I live in a pro-coal anti-gas state. Every powerplant I pass is coal-fired, and is likely to remain that way as long as I am driving my M3.

upload_2017-8-5_7-57-33.png

Getting rid of the regulations will make coal cheaper. Obama did have a war on coal (who knew he liked to breathe) look at the chart below and you will see that the precipitous decline in coal usage coalesces perfectly with his presidency.
More importantly, inasmuch as I was stating MY reasons for wanting an M3, I live in a pro-coal anti-gas state. Every powerplant I pass is coal-fired, and is likely to remain that way as long as I am driving my M3.

View attachment 239851

Policies have helped but.....

I'm going to stay apolitical here and state that the discovery of new gas fields and techniques (cough fracking) has been the biggest factor in making coal a non-favored resource.

Reactions: N5329K and Runt8
I feel like the design choice of getting rid of an instrument cluster and only having a center screen, will help make driving the Model 3 more relaxing because the driver will feel more like a passenger. The design goal is for the driving of the Model 3 to feel easy and effortless, like you are just going along for a ride rather than actively driving the car. At least that is how I expect to feel when I drive it, especially as autopilot improves. During a majority of the driving time, the car will be doing most of the driving actions. I definitely look forward to that day.

View attachment 239851
When I look at the graph a see the precipitous decline in coal match up with the steep increase in natural gas and, to a lesser extent, renewables. Coal executives themselves have stated that coal isn’t feasible anymore economically, regardless of what the trump administration decides to do.

Reactions: S'toon
Yes lack of properly designed physical controls is a hazard. So is the bad design of current controls in existing cars. The question is which is worse, I suppose. Product design is generally not well-done or intelligent at all, and cars are no exception. The fact that for what, 80 years or so, the existence of the glaring oversight of having standard buttons/knobs strewn about that need to be looked at, is an absurdity. The obvious solution is a small number of very carefully designed controls that are learned easily and then used without having to look. If that layout was standardized among manufacturers, even better. (It already is somewhat, for example the horn location). Supplementing that with a touchscreen is then also needed nowadays.

With full autonomy however all of this, almost, becomes completely irrelevant. Way back in 2012 though with model S, everything on the touchscreen was/is definitely non-ideal. It needed the small cluster I alluded to but clearly they were (and are) trying for maximum simplicity hence cost reduction.

I feel like the design choice of getting rid of an instrument cluster and only having a center screen, will help make driving the Model 3 more relaxing because the driver will feel more like a passenger. The design goal is for the driving of the Model 3 to feel easy and effortless, like you are just going along for a ride rather than actively driving the car. At least that is how I expect to feel when I drive it, especially as autopilot improves. During a majority of the driving time, the car will be doing most of the driving actions. I definitely look forward to that day.
This is exactly why I think there's design schizophrenia happening with the Model 3. The exterior says, "Let's drive!"
Meanwhile, the interior seems more aligned with the sort of owner who, when asked what car they drive, says, "Blue."
Robin

This is exactly why I think there's design schizophrenia happening with the Model 3. The exterior says, "Let's drive!"
Meanwhile, the interior seems more aligned with the sort of owner who, when asked what car they drive, says, "Blue."
Robin

I don't know that I agree with that. I look at it as there being no distractions inside the cabin to detract from the pure driving experience. When I'm driving I want to be looking at the road and responding to the feel of the steering wheel, not being distracted by froo froo lights and dials telling me information I don't need to know. I'm looking forward to trying the Model 3 over my winding mountain commute. From the reviews it's still a driver's car.

This is exactly why I think there's design schizophrenia happening with the Model 3. The exterior says, "Let's drive!" Meanwhile, the interior seems more aligned with the sort of owner who, when asked what car they drive, says, "Blue."
Robin

I am a little puzzled. What exterior would not be schizo to you? Are you suggesting the outside should look like a bus or the Google Pod to indicate to people that it is capable of self-driving? Yes, the car is designed with future self-driving in mind, but it should still look like a nice car! Plus, we know Tesla will always design nice looking cars.

• Funny
Reactions: scaesare
This is the dash of the Toyota Yaris, in production for almost 20 years now. It's one of many cars with an instrument cluster in the middle of the dash. Hundreds of thousands if not millions of it are on the roads around the world - my grandma drives one...
27zcc4j.jpg

Can't fathom how to many people an instrument cluster in the middle is shockingly new and grounds to scream death trap.

In many ways the Model 3 dash is an evolution just like the grill-less front. ICE needed a grill to cool the engine. EVs do not need one - most kept one though to make the car look more conventional. The M3 made the bold step.

Similarly ICE vehicles needed a complex instrument cluster to show things relevant to ICE drivetrains: RPM to help with gear shifts, oil and water temps, for diesels the pre-glow indicator, just to name a few. EVs don't need any of that. Just the speedometer as longs as us humans are still driving and need to make sure we keep the speed limit.

• Helpful
Reactions: JHWJR and EinSV