Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a lack of instrumentation dangerous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am reminded of this.
chart-png.239863

View attachment 239863

Obviously you have never seen someone in the throes of a cheese nightmare.

Is the Model 3 a deathtrap? No way. That crash demo that compared it to a Volvo was really compelling.
Will the Model 3 be fun to drive? Absolutely. More fun, I think, than a Model S which is, despite all its power and acceleration, a very big, and very heavy car.
I like the Model 3's spare interior, too. What I don't like is a control scheme that not only invites inattention, but requires it. I see that as a form over function exercise where the trappings of a fully autonomous car are used in a car meant to use today's roads. "You won't care" and "It's like a taxi" is true only when a critical mass of traffic is also autonomous, or if you truly do not care (the "Blue" comment above). Meanwhile, I do care and I don't think owning a taxi is all that cool. OK. Maybe a Checker is cool.
Slapping fins on 50's cars didn't turn them into jets. It just made them sort of look like jets. Slapping a single master screen to control almost everything doesn't turn the Model 3 into a fully autonomous car, or a computer. It just makes it sort of look like an autonomous car, and a computer.
So that's why I think you have Aston Martin/Audi on the outside, and People Mover on the inside. Hence, that schizophrenia.
Robin

Reactions: bmzl
What I don't like is a control scheme that not only invites inattention, but requires it.

That may be an overstatement. Keep in mind the steering wheel has two control knobs on it that allow you to adjust the most common functions. In my Model S, typically the only thing I adjust on the screen while driving is audio station or navigation, which I could do with voice command really, but once you are used to where things are it's really not much different than buttons. I use wheel buttons for climate control and volume.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
The delusion people have is that they reach blindly for a knob without looking down to see where it is. Never happens. Reaching for a knob is no different than reaching to tap the screen; the glance is so instinctive and quick you hardly notice it in either case.
Agreed. The only things I can control on my current car without looking are the steering wheel stalks.

I would say that it's more annoying than dangerous. Part of my driving enjoyment is having driver-oriented instrumentation that puts me at the center of my vehicle. I don't get that feeling by looking at Model 3. I don't like Musk's analogy that driving a Model 3 is like sitting in a taxi. Who wants to feel like that?

I wonder how the mouse wheels actually work with the touch screen interface... Haven't seen anything like it. (I'm writing this post on an iPad, and I have difficulties visualizing it...)

Do the "buttons" (icons) glow, enlarge or move somehow when you're trying to navigate the bottom controls?

This is the dash of the Toyota Yaris, in production for almost 20 years now. It's one of many cars with an instrument cluster in the middle of the dash. Hundreds of thousands if not millions of it are on the roads around the world - my grandma drives one...
27zcc4j.jpg

Can't fathom how to many people an instrument cluster in the middle is shockingly new and grounds to scream death trap.

I find the Model 3 screen to be far superior to Yaris' off center instrument panel. That looks like it might be hard to read since it is rather small digital numbers. With the Model 3 screen, you get clear info that is easy to read and you get a ton more information.

Might be nice if Tesla allowed the screen to be tilted towards the driver...

Sorry, no. That would not work. It would make it harder for the passenger to see the screen. Remember that the right side of the screen will often have entertainment info that is of interest to the passenger. Or maybe the passenger can act like a copilot and input navigation for the driver. So they need to be able to see the screen too. The screen works for both driver and passenger.

For those that don't like random Chinese sites. Video was posted here too:
Model 3 UI walkthrough - Streamable
Does it concern anybody else that it took the guy multiple tries to touch icons on the touch screen? Hell, one time, he hit it like three times and the employee had to take over and attempt to hit it a couple times before it finally worked.

And this is while the car is not moving. How difficult will it be to snipe those tiny icons while driving when things are much more bumpy and your attention is on the road? It feels like it's gonna be like throwing darts trying to change the temperature with how small those arrows are and no way to "feel" your way to those buttons.

And the icons on the far right are gonna be borderline dangerous with how much the driver's attention must be diverted and how much harder they're going to be to hit. That music button proved to be quite challenging to press.

I'm still not convinced the touch screen-only solution is better than a combination of essential tactile buttons and a screen for stuff that benefits from a screen. Seems like a classic case of fixing something that ain't broke.

Does it concern anybody else that it took the guy multiple tries to touch icons on the touch screen? Hell, one time, he hit it like three times and the employee had to take over and attempt to hit it a couple times before it finally worked.
Not really. Sometimes when people are hitting a touchscreen with more force than necessary, they tend to move their finger too much on impact. I suspect that is what was happening there. Tesla may need to adjust the sensitivity of drags so that the UI doesn't think you are trying to drag a button by 4 pixels (which you never are). Most of the other videos I've seen seem to show a nicely responsive UI. Nothing like trying it yourself to know for sure, of course. The great thing is that the UI can improve with OTA updates.

There will be times when it is less than ideal, like when driving on rough terrain or twisty roads. In the latter case, you probably shouldn't be using the UI anyhow. As the UI progresses, I assume they will do more to use the scroll wheels in smart ways, so that should help.

I'm still not convinced the touch screen-only solution is better than a combination of essential tactile buttons and a screen for stuff that benefits from a screen.

It's not. What you describe is exactly the solution - neither one nor the other but rather strategic use of both. I'm surprised they didn't do it correctly and while cost/simplicity is surely a motivator, it still makes no sense, at least while driving manually.

Reactions: C141medic
It's not. What you describe is exactly the solution - neither one nor the other but rather strategic use of both. I'm surprised they didn't do it correctly and while cost/simplicity is surely a motivator, it still makes no sense, at least while driving manually.

I'm going to give it awhile in use before I make my determination. So far I've loved ever instance where a manufacturer has moved physical buttons to a screen, as it frees up real estate for other uses. But we'll see what it's like with no buttons, but I'm optimistic that I'll adapt quickly and will become the norm.

I'm going to give it awhile in use before I make my determination. So far I've loved ever instance where a manufacturer has moved physical buttons to a screen, as it frees up real estate for other uses. But we'll see what it's like with no buttons, but I'm optimistic that I'll adapt quickly and will become the norm.
It definitely becomes rapidly intuitive. They’ve done it for 5 years with the Model S and I’ve never spoken to an owner who said they missed them. I don’t see that being a hot topic of conversation here among people who have owned the cars for a while, either.