Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a Longer charger cord for wall connector available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently using my old hard wired Eaton EVSE to charge our 2 model Ys in our garage with the Tesla supplied J1772 to Tesla adaptor. I am also using a 20 foot J1772 extension cord https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0863JNS4Q/ that has been working perfectly to reach both cars in the garage. The EVSE was installed when we had a Nissan Leaf with front mounted charger port. . With the rear charger port on the Teslas I needed an extension cord to reach them. It's been working great.

I want to replace the hard wired EVSE with a Tesla Wall connector so I can get 60/48 amp or 50/40amp faster charging. I would be installing it in the same location just below the breaker panel but would need a longer charger cable that the supplied 24 foot for the wall connector to the car. Is there a 3rd party longer, say 35 foot cable that could safely handle the current and the extra length available so could modify a Tesla wall connector?

I am currently using my old hard wired Eaton EVSE to charge our 2 model Ys in our garage with the Tesla supplied J1772 to Tesla adaptor. I am also using a 20 foot J1772 extension cord Amazon.com that has been working perfectly to reach both cars in the garage. The EVSE was installed when we had a Nissan Leaf with front mounted charger port. . With the rear charger port on the Teslas I needed an extension cord to reach them. It's been working great.

I want to replace the hard wired EVSE with a Tesla Wall connector so I can get 60/48 amp or 50/40amp faster charging. I would be installing it in the same location just below the breaker panel but would need a longer charger cable that the supplied 24 foot for the wall connector to the car. Is there a 3rd party longer, say 35 foot cable that could safely handle the current and the extra length available so could modify a Tesla wall connector?
Your best option would be to locate the Tesla Wall Connector where the supplied 24 ft charging cord would be able to reach the charge port of both of your Tesla vehicles. Another option would be to back in to the garage.

A third option would be to install a sub panel and two Tesla Wall Connectors. This would enable you to use the Wall Connector's automatic load balancing feature.

There is no option to replace the 24 ft charging cord that comes with the Tesla Wall Connector with a longer charging cord. (24 ft or 25 ft is the longest charging cord found on any of the major brands of EVSE.)

EVSE Adapters may be able to supply you with a Tesla charging cord extender.

EVSE Adapters

Last edited:
One more solution, a Tesla extension cord:

Personally, I would either move the location of the wall connector so that the regular cord length worked, or put in a second wall connector. Maybe keep the Eaton for one car, and install a wall connector for the second?

Reactions: Kupe and h2ofun

Personally, I would either move the location of the wall connector so that the regular cord length worked, or put in a second wall connector. Maybe keep the Eaton for one car, and install a wall connector for the second?
One of the high-end / aftermarket chargers offers a 30-foot option. Sorry, I can't remember which one. I think it was one that Amazon Alexa could control.

I am currently using my old hard wired Eaton EVSE to charge our 2 model Ys in our garage with the Tesla supplied J1772 to Tesla adaptor. I am also using a 20 foot J1772 extension cord https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0863JNS4Q/ that has been working perfectly to reach both cars in the garage. The EVSE was installed when we had a Nissan Leaf with front mounted charger port. . With the rear charger port on the Teslas I needed an extension cord to reach them. It's been working great.

I solved my problem by having a Tesla Wall Connector installed where it could reach both Model Ys when they are parked in the garage.

The 20 foot extension for the J1772 was getting too warm for my comfort so I bought a Wall Connector and had the electrician install it near the front of the garage so it could reach both cars comfortably.

It is installed on a 60 amp circuit so I can charge either car at 48 amps, cutting down my charge time by 1/3rd

Reactions: thefisch

I thought about a 2nd source but I was our of panel space. Doing that would have required the the additional cost of installing a sub panel.