Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Is a model 3 a good purchase for someone who is] Not computer literate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like the basic driving functions aren't that hard to get used to, there is obviously going to be an adjustment not reaching for a console shifter for the gears and parking and whatnot...but it's not like he needs to be playing around with the screen while he's driving.

Did you (or would you? lol) let him test drive yours at all to get a feel?

Reactions: KennyKO
Has your buddy ever used a tablet (iPad, etc)? If so, the Tesla screen is not much different than that in terms of useability. I know several older folks who never used a computer and are fairly proficient with their iPad. The screen controls are fairly intuitive.

As far as driving the car (and using the controls), I don't feel that you have to be computer literate, although you do need to have a basic familiarity with the concept of going into menus and adjusting settings.

I would be more concerned about the process of ordering the car in the first place and setting up the Tesla app on the phone and running into the occasional snag like the phone key not working, or having to schedule a service visit on the phone.

If "not being computer literate" actually means "being afraid of technology" then there may be a problem. If they are able to use a smartphone (even if just for relatively basic functions) then there is probably not a huge concern.

I suggest seeing if he can use your touch screen. If he can navigate the screen and enjoys the process then he will be sufficiently motivated to safely learn the car.

Its odd he would be interested in the car but not have a smartphone

My good buddy from high school saw my 3 and loves it-no surprise. So now he wants one but he has never used a computer (we are near 70 years old) will that be an issue for my friend (never used computer not being 70) what are your thoughts-I have my own thoughts but I want him to enjoy his car.

What do you think?

At this point, if someone is 70 years old but has "NEVER' used a computer (if thats actually true) then the likely answer is "no, not appropriate" because they would have had to go out of their way to not use a computer at this point, intimating an active dislike of that type of technology.

I am 54, and we had access to computers in high school (and I went to a regular high school in a middle class area, not one in a wealthy area). Its my opinion that one would have had to actively avoid using some sort of computer during their working career, regardless of occupation, to be 70 right now and "NEVER" have used a computer.

Now, if its "didnt buy a computer because they didnt feel they needed one", or "never bought a computer because they used them at work, and then got a smartphone and it did everything they wanted", thats different.

Being comfortable with "something different, technologically?" is the important thing, and also the basic understanding of how a tablet works (touch this, swipe that, this likely opens a menu for X, etc etc).

The advice in a recent thread about "is a tesla good for an 80 year old" is the same advice thats applicable in this thread. That thread is here:

Same situation, basically.

My good buddy from high school saw my 3 and loves it-no surprise. So now he wants one but he has never used a computer (we are near 70 years old) will that be an issue for my friend (never used computer not being 70) what are your thoughts-I have my own thoughts but I want him to enjoy his car.

What do you think?
Your friend would be fine. My wife still is very clueless about computers but loves her model 3.

Reactions: KennyKO and gavine

What do you think?
Can he use an iPad? He'll be fine.

What do you think?

I think the basic driving function would be fine. It's the other stuff like how to turn on your Caraoke vocal off so you can sing along with your own voice or how to stream your audiobook from your phone via Bluetooth...that might take more time.

Never used a computer? Forget about it.

If he does not understand layouts, sub-menus, etc there will be a steep learning curve and potential for danger to himself and others at that age.
Sadly, I am compelled to agree. Better to learn the basics while sitting still... in a chair! Once he's got the basics, the rest should follow.

My wife is the opposite of the OP's. She is a retired scientist with a PhD in biophysics. Was responsible for $millions of sophisticated and technical lab equipment. Yet she's reluctant to drive our 2018 Model 3 which we bought new. In the 2+ years we've had the car, she has driven it only once for just a few miles.

My wife is the opposite of the OP's. She is a retired scientist with a PhD in biophysics. Was responsible for $millions of sophisticated and technical lab equipment. Yet she's reluctant to drive our 2018 Model 3 which we bought new. In the 2+ years we've had the car, she has driven it only once for just a few miles.
The difference is that biophysics follows rules. Most touchscreens have no immutable laws behind them. Who would ever have thought you could find your mate for life by swiping left (or is it right?) :rolleyes: