TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is a Model S Redesign in the Works? (Oops no, those are old prototype photos)

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by AmpedRealtor, Dec 12, 2014.

1. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

#1 AmpedRealtor, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
    Moderator note: thread title update after photos were identified (see down-thread)

A recent visit to the Fremont factory lobby prompted this question, where I saw a poster of what looked like a new Model S prototype. I took these photos and assume they are okay to post because everyone else in the lobby was also taking photos and Tesla did not say we shouldn't. Perhaps this is old news, but it's new to me... Here are the relevant details that I noticed:
    • Forward camera appears in windshield, which is a good indication that this is a recent prototype.
    • New door handle design and possibly more aggressive contouring of door panels (could be optical illusion from reflection).
    • New nose-cone sporting what appears to be a multiple sensor array.
    • The man in the foreground is my father, he really loved the tour!
    The car pictured was also used in a looping video playing in the factory lobby promoting the Model S. This was the first time I'd ever seen such a design and wanted to share this with the community. If this is new, it looks like we have more goodies to look forward to! :)

FullSizeRender 4.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg FullSizeRender 3.jpg

2. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

This looks strikingly similar to a prototype photo I saw back in 2012. Of course I didn't pay attention to the fine details back then, so I suppose it's conceivable that they redid the photo shoot with a similar black MS against the same backdrop.

Also, keep in mind that Elon has mentioned that redesigns/new features are going to take a breather until the MX is out.

3. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

4. mattreidy

mattreidy Member

5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

6. REBroker

REBroker Member

Very interesting indeed, can't wait for others to chime on this... perhaps this has been there from day one? or perhaps it was an early prototype which had the camera but Tesla didn't get to that feature until now?

- - - Updated - - -

That was quick!

7. Msolomi

Msolomi Member

don't think so; they have these similar pictures in the stores (for example, in Miami) and they were previous prototypes prior to the finalization of the Model S.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Mod note: We don't lock threads unless it's something contrary to ToS (snippiness, politics, religion etc.). I did update the thread title though. :)

9. Txy

Txy Member

More often than not we do end up seeing older prototype model s photos, and mistake them as new features in our excitement for change :)

Not that long ago a screencap of a model s screen was posted and we mistook it for new apps on the main screen.