Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a Model S right for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's good to know as I have no idea how busy any of the superchargers in the South East get. Do you know if it is a similar story for other superchargers in the London area?

Ive not used Canary Wharf, mainly because for whatever reason, when you navigate to any other SuC it tells you how many are free, this isn't the case with canary wharf for some reason. I have used Royal Docks but that only has 2 stalls :S, ikea is a good bet to get some good level 2 charging! they also have AC fast and if you can get a chademo adaptor or the CCS upgrade you can get soem good DC from the too

Sitting at a charger gets old quickly. I really really hate to be the rain cloud, but if I couldn't charge at home or at work I wouldn't want to own an EV. I'd more likely buy a hybrid of some sort, or maybe a PHEV, and then go full EV when home charging becomes available.
Me too. It's the only thing I can think of that might make me consider going to back to a gas-burner. (As it is I installed an outlet for my UMC at the rental I'm currently in while my house is being worked on. It wasn't especially cheap but I'm glad I did it. I considered using public charging and saving the money... for about 42 seconds.)

Agreed. So the only choice is do you move or get a new job?

There is a decent amount of street charging nearby and some of the offices I visit (although I can't rely on availability these). I'm not sure how much more convenient these options would be than using superchargers. Do any London owners have experience of using Source? 22kw charging starts at 9.5p/min which seems like a bad deal to me.

There is a decent amount of street charging nearby and some of the offices I visit (although I can't rely on availability these). I'm not sure how much more convenient these options would be than using superchargers. Do any London owners have experience of using Source? 22kw charging starts at 9.5p/min which seems like a bad deal to me.

You may be putting too much emphasis on the cost of charging in terms of money and not enough emphasis on the cost of charging in terms of your time. Free supercharging is nice but charging overnight or while you are otherwise occupied is the true value of an EV. As others have posted you will quickly tire of sitting at a supercharger while your car charges.
My advice is to first solve the problem of how to charge at home or at the office(s) and then purchase the car.