Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a non awd in Canada crazy talk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im a current 2014 85 owner. I purchased it as a cpo earlier this year.

With the currency adjustments and rebates, it turns out that purchasing a new s75 will keep monthly payment about the same as it is currently. With the new standard upgrade features, a base s75 is feeling like a no brainer

My debate is now whether to extend myself to get an awd. It will add approx $80 more to the monthly

I haven't driven my current 85 through the winter yet. I'm in Toronto and plan on getting amazing snow tires. Is not springing for the awd crazy? Will resale be a big issue if I get the rwd?

When I moved from a Lexus RX 400h (on-demand-all wheel drive) to a rear wheel drive S60, I noticed that the S60 handles as well or better on snow (MS has individual wheel braking which the RX did not have). We don't get a whole lot of snow days around Seattle, but whenever we do, I spend some time testing out my cars in parking lots late in the night (actually encountered a snow storm while out late on a weekend, so ended up doing donuts in parking lot for almost 2hrs trying out the S60 - came out impressed). I'm sure there are a few situations like starting on ice where AWD will be superior for snow, but in general with traction control on the rwd Tesla handles beautifully on snow. Snow tires definitely a must for your area (I grew up in Ontario). Can't say anything much about awd resale value around Toronto other than people who look for an awd Teslas have less choice, as it was not till late 2014 that awd was available. Personally I would get awd unless it strained my budget, but that is a personal preference - I like the performance characteristics of awd even on dry pavement, how one can accelerate faster out of the turns, etc.

With the currency adjustments and rebates, it turns out that purchasing a new s75 will keep monthly payment about the same as it is currently. With the new standard upgrade features, a base s75 is feeling like a no brainer

My debate is now whether to extend myself to get an awd. It will add approx $80 more to the monthly

I haven't driven my current 85 through the winter yet. I'm in Toronto and plan on getting amazing snow tires. Is not springing for the awd crazy? Will resale be a big issue if I get the rwd?

I have an AWD, but got a RWD loaner during one winter. You couldn't force me to go to RWD. As RWD cars go, it's probably pretty good, but in the snow/slush/whatever, there's simply no comparison. AWD feels so much more stable.

I think it was Bjørn who once joked that all of the Tesla owners in Norway he knew who initially got RWD talked about how great it was in the snow, how it handled so well that it beat some AWD cars, and that there was simply no need for AWD... but then when Tesla started coming out with AWD vehicles, one by one they started trading their cars in for AWD models ;) So take from that what you will.

Reactions: whitex