Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a P90DL still worth it for the money?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking at picking up a refresh 2016 Model S, and the performance of the P90DL seems really attractive..been seeing them priced with 30k miles-ish for low to mid 60’s. I’m questioning though if the aging electronics/potential battery issues on the 90 still make it a decent value when compared to 2017 100D’s (high $60’s)? Are the refresh P90D’s going to be immune from the old 90 pack problems?

Fr
Are you comparing the P90DL to a 100D? The 100D may be a better "value" but it will not be as fast. A car in the high 60s is not that far away from a new 2020 long range MS.

Here is a thread on the 90 packs for some light reading: P90DL battery replacement thread.
After reading that entire thread, it sounds like issues with the 90kw packs are almost inevitable after age and a certain number of WOT runs. I wonder if it's a vocal minority in the thread though, and if the V3 packs are truly holding up well?

Well I'm not sure why but my V1, so holding out very well with minor deg - 2105 AP1. I like the P90D and I would buy a second hand one, as long as I had a good check of the battery - ie range. I think they are very good value atm. Of course if you can afford the extra, I'd recommend a P100D - more advanced tech.

Great question! Exact situation I am in now. Been eying P90DLs for a while now. Currently through Tesla they do not have free supercharging and about half are not equipped with Ludicrous. The ones with less than 50k miles have the 4 year 50k miles additional warranty and remaining battery warranty which makes for a good deal IMO. Especially if you can snag one at mid 60s or under. I think I am going to try and hold out on a P100D which I have seen fall to low 70s with average miles. Even saw a couple in the 60s with 70-80k miles on them! If the right P90 pops up though, I don't think I would hesitate.

Good luck!

Reactions: CrisCarlin