Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a reservation even necessary anymore? SR waiter wondering...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Title says it all: does a reservation mean anything at this point? I haven't been following things closely for months since I can't responsibly afford the offerings right now and am waiting for a SR. Are reservations coming into play for the MR orders? Thoughts on whether they'll come into play for SR orders? It's not like I need the $1k, but I'd rather have it than continue giving Tesla the interest-free loan. No big deal...just something for a SR waiter to wonder about while I continue, well, waiting. :)

It's possible that like with AWD and P, reservation holders will get a week or two head start on orders. However, they didn't do it with MR so it's possible that reservations mean a lot less now than they did even a few months ago.

I think if you are aware of when SR can be configured and you configured it at the same time as a non-reservation holder, you will probably get priority. But if you did not know SR was out (probably because Tesla didn't email you) and you configured 3 weeks later... you will still get priority over the people who configured at the same time as you but the people configured before you (in the same geographical location) will probably get theirs first. That seems to be how it works for AWD after they took out the reservation step.

IMHO: my reservation did not help me one bit... and I was told so by multiple TSLA people... It is just one data point.

The website generated a 2nd order and never used my reservation (this happened to a few other people, it was not my goof). I had to cancel my original reservation to get $1k back but it took one day to drop it directly into my checking account. That was painless but I had to do that because TSLA "could not" fix it at their end even though they promised to do so on the day of order.

Frankly, my $1k was an interest free loan to TSLA that helped them drive their news cycles and prop up cash reserves. "Funding Secured"?! Given what we know now, it was a waste of money and time, IMHO

Reactions: neroden
Too many variables to be able to gauge with certainty... only Tesla knows how high the weight of that variable impacts things. Other possible factors: Current Owner, Total price of car, order date, location, color and rims. Can you even reserve anymore?