Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a RWD / Standard Model 3 ok for a 140 Mile daily commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps. But degradation, road trips, changing jobs are all reasons to consider the LR. For now at least, range is a very important spec for an EV.
I know what you mean. Road trips are a compelling reason for getting longer range if you want to minimize charging stops. Otherwise, I think the attention to EV range is overblown. The electric charging networks, especially now with CCS1 compatibility, make it a rare occurrence for the SR to run out of juice. In the early days of the Model 3, the range of the SR was even lower and many people were still buying it. These days, with the charging networks covering several times more, the SR has a solid footing in consumer demand.

I think the equation is simple. If the OP’s commute is 140 miles round trip without charging at work, an EV with practical range over 200 miles would suffice. The M3SR comfortably exceeds this threshold except in very specific scenarios such as sentry mode being on, temperature control being on in extremely hot climate, etc.

Upvote 0
I have about the exact same commute. I went with the LR but seriously considered the SR...I choose the LR because of some of the options it has and we do roadtrips of 500 miles usually about 1 time every 6 weeks or so. We are in the south with heavy heat and humidity. I charge to 90% nightly and by the time I get home it is down to between 25%-35% usually. It depends on how often the sentry mode trips and how much sun is beating down (I have already installed high quality Ceramic Tint on all windows and have the roof sunshade installed as well). The SR would still work great for me, but I liked the option of having a bit more range for trips.

Reactions: Kimmi and Hiline
Upvote 0
I travel 150 miles plus a day for work also and I went with the LR for several reasons, I like having sentry mode on at all times when I‘am not at home because I have to be in certain areas during the day I would like eyes on my car, next reason I live in a hot area of SoCal and cabin overheat is basically on a lot of the time during the day I have noticed ..I charge daily to 90% and get home between 30 and 35% so its a piece of mind too if I have to run any errands after work I still have sufficient range to do things..

Upvote 0
@Juice780 - did you make a decision?

Also worth noting is that cold winter weather can seriously reduce range... like as much as 40% (worst case scenario). A cold battery runs much less efficient, plus heat usage, plus precipitation and headwinds. I'm in New York though, not North Carolina.

If there's a Supercharger on your commute, that would handle those edge cases, but an LR would give more peace of mind.

Reactions: garth_angst
Upvote 0
I am thinking of ord
@Juice780 - did you make a decision?

Also worth noting is that cold winter weather can seriously reduce range... like as much as 40% (worst case scenario). A cold battery runs much less
I am thinking of ordering new now. Used prices are high. Also I think the new lfp battery on the new model 3 where I can charge to 100% everyday. My question now is when to order. Do you think there will be another ev tax credit passed?

Upvote 0
I am thinking of ord

I am thinking of ordering new now. Used prices are high. Also I think the new lfp battery on the new model 3 where I can charge to 100% everyday. My question now is when to order. Do you think there will be another ev tax credit passed?
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a tax credit. It may happen, it may not. You're already going to wait a LONG time to get one after ordering.

My opinion - demand for EVs is through the roof. Tax credits at this point are just a waste of taxpayer dollars. For this reason, a new federal credit may never happen.

Upvote 0
I would plug your round-trip route into www.abetterrouteplanner.com and adjust the settings for typical winter conditions and 15% battery degradation. This will give you an idea of how the vehicle will perform in poor weather conditions several years from now.
This ^^

Don't underestimate the effect of cold weather.

Another option would be to rent one and see how it does on your commute.

I have a similar commute and I went with the LR. I live in a warmer climate, but it does get cold at times. The LR was the right option for me because of traffic, weather, etc. A cold, windy and heavy traffic day will eat into your range more than you might think.

I could easily survive on a regular M3 as there are multiple superchargers along the way, but I tend to not want to stop on the way home. Also, rather than sit in traffic, I'll drive around it, adding to the distance, but shortening the time.

Upvote 0
I checked climate for Asheville NC and you might be surprised at how much range you lose November through February. Typically 20%, but up to 40% if you are heavy footed, and who isn't sometimes in a Tesla? You like your job probably, but someone did mention, what if you lose your job or are offered a massive amount of money to commute to a job 100 miles each way? If you can afford the LR, do it. I think I also saw you mention something about going up a mountain as part of your commute? That will greatly affect your range in that direction.

Upvote 0