Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a Tesla easy to steal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leaving your card at home is risky, if your phone goes flat you can't get into the car. I recently had a situation in Sainsburys where for some reason my phone drained flat in less than 30mins with a 30% charge to start with, I couldn't pay for my shopping and had to go to the car (not the Tesla at the time) to charge the phone to get a few percent in to be able go back down to pay. I now carry a small card wallet with a couple of credit cards, my Tesla card and a spare door key. Much as I'd love to trust my phone it does need a backup for those rare occasions. Easy to carry a small card wallet than a battery pack which is the other option.
My backup is my Apple Watch. It requires cellular coverage for both the watch and car, but it’ll likely do in the unlikely event that my phone runs out of battery.

Reactions: melduk
I carry both: twice in 6 months the car hasn't woken to my phone, it opened and then demanded the key card be placed on the center consol before it would start.

As mentioned I carry a thin credit card holder with driving licence, a car key, a credit card and £20.00. Most of the time I pay for everything with my Apple Watch linked to Apple Pay. How can I link my Apple Watch to the car?

I always have my home made key fob in my pocket. Just last week the car wouldn't open even though the app said connected and I was standing next to it with my phone

You definitely need some kind of backup just in case.

If you're worried about someone stealing your car then enable Pin to Drive. I got a CNICK Tesla Ring and no longer worry about forgetting my keycard and my iPhone not working. Tesla Key Ring | Smart Ring | Tesla Accessories

Cnick also has bracelets with the Tesla gubbins. I gave my daughter a lapis lazuli beaded bracelet with the key in it. No, she doesn't know the pin 😜

I don't use a wallet anymore. I use one of these that has my Tesla card, driving licence, credit card, debit card plus a couple of £10 notes...

16338019373686053764112013706831.jpg
Only a few quid from eBay!

I do carry my key card and wallet with me, but I use my phone for literally everything and it hasn’t failed me in over a year of owning the car.

I’ll probably stop carrying my cards around eventually as the cards pose a greater risk of theft IMO (my phone is protected by passcode and Touch ID whilst an opportunistic thief could tap many of my cards and get away with some money). Battery isn’t normally an issue because I always leave my phone on the wireless pad when I’m driving.

More on topic though, I’d say it’s quite difficult to steal a Model 3. When I’m far away from home I enable P2D, and disable any kind of remote activation.

It seems the key fob *may* have the “sleep when not used” security feature to guard against relay attacks, but I find the wording in the manual a bit random.

View attachment 719536

What I’d really like to know is…. does “within vehicle range” also mean on my nightstand? We keep the keys to the volvo in a little faraday box anyway, and quite like the idea of the Tesla fob, but not if it’s going to reduce the overall security of the vehicle unnecessarily.
After 5 mins of being stationary the keyfob no longer appears when I search for bluetooth devices, if I then move it, it appears. This happens irrespective of how far I am from the car.

Each to their own obviously, but is the above not a single point of failure so to speak?

Lose or have phone stolen and… no phone, no identity, no access to cash, no access to car…
Well in over 20 years of mobile phone ownership I have never lost one, even momentarily, so it’s a non-issue imo.

And even if I did lose it, I could use anyone else’s phone to download the app and get access to the car.

I carry both: twice in 6 months the car hasn't woken to my phone, it opened and then demanded the key card be placed on the center consol before it would start.

As mentioned I carry a thin credit card holder with driving licence, a car key, a credit card and £20.00. Most of the time I pay for everything with my Apple Watch linked to Apple Pay. How can I link my Apple Watch to the car?
There’s different apps, but I’m rather fond of Watch App for Tesla.

Reactions: Marvin03
There’s different apps, but I’m rather fond of Watch App for Tesla.
Watch app is excellent. You can add the charge % to the watch face and can do plug-in reminders etc. worth getting an Apple Watch just for this!