Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a Tesla easy to steal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do carry my key card and wallet with me, but I use my phone for literally everything and it hasn’t failed me in over a year of owning the car.

I’ll probably stop carrying my cards around eventually as the cards pose a greater risk of theft IMO (my phone is protected by passcode and Touch ID whilst an opportunistic thief could tap many of my cards and get away with some money). Battery isn’t normally an issue because I always leave my phone on the wireless pad when I’m driving.

More on topic though, I’d say it’s quite difficult to steal a Model 3. When I’m far away from home I enable P2D, and disable any kind of remote activation.
Last year had a trip from Liverpool to London and the same my phone was in charging pad, but I make calls all the time.
The phone overheating and stop the charge.
Arrived at London get the phone (without checking the battery because I thought was in charge all the time...) and after the car locked... my phone died... so locked out.
Key fob and wallet with Tesla cards inside.
After this unhappy situation i bought the ring...it's a really bullet proof.

Incorrect, the Watch can act independently of the phone. And as Watch App for Tesla is a standalone Watch app, it works even when the phone is off.
Interesting. I’ll have to try it then, believe it or not, I do own one, was sure I’d read it somewhere!

*Edit*
Huh 🤔 well I stand corrected

*Edit edit*
Incoming calls and SMS don’t work though, shame, maybe that’s what I’d read and confused my gin addled mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueM3SR
Yeah, if the phone is off incoming calls go to voicemail and SMSs don’t come through. iMessage works. Vodafone.
There are different versions of the watch.

One requires the phone to be on to be able to handle calls, but there is another one which contains an esim so can make and receive calls without a phone. As @Cardo has said, if you have one with an esim and the right contract you make calls without the phone. You can also put music on the watch and as I’ve been told, handy for exercising as you an leave your phone at home and still receive calls.

I actually lost my ring, but somebody walking a dog found it, googled what it was and then knocked on my door to return it when he found out it was from a Tesla. What a nice chap.

There are different versions of the watch.

One requires the phone to be on to be able to handle calls, but there is another one which contains an esim so can make and receive calls without a phone. As @Cardo has said, if you have one with an esim and the right contract you make calls without the phone. You can also put music on the watch and as I’ve been told, handy for exercising as you an leave your phone at home and still receive calls.

I actually lost my ring, but somebody walking a dog found it, googled what it was and then knocked on my door to return it when he found out it was from a Tesla. What a nice chap.
Yeah, I have the full cellular with a plan for it that I pay extra for, but my experience (when testing) has been as I say, that incoming calls and SMS don’t work with the phone off.

As an extra to my comment, I did disconnect my Watch from WiFi to ensure it connected to cellular. If testing, this may be a factor?
Yeah, it’s very possible that my testing is flawed, I’ll try again. Certainly Apple support suggests SMS needs the paired phone to be on tho’

Attachments

• FB252400-6098-4577-AF8F-1211DDEC2F25.png
    FB252400-6098-4577-AF8F-1211DDEC2F25.png
    518.1 KB · Views: 58
I’ve always avoided the Apple Watch - just another thing to charge. Do you like it / rate it? My thinking is starting to change.
I absolutely love mine. Had had them since the original gen 1 Apple Watch. Moved from a Tag. Not as stylish as the Tag, but the convenience is amazing.

In relation to charging, yes, it needs charging every night. But I always used to take my Tag off at night, anyway, so there’s no real difference to taking my Tag off and putting it on the bedside table to taking off my Apple Watch and putting it on the charger on the bedside table.

A smartwatch is one of those things you don’t realise how useful they are until you have one and actually make use of the features. Yes, there’s nothing I wouldn’t be able to do with my phone, but the convenience is not having to take my phone out of my pocket.

I absolutely love mine. Had had them since the original gen 1 Apple Watch. Moved from a Tag. Not as stylish as the Tag, but the convenience is amazing.

In relation to charging, yes, it needs charging every night. But I always used to take my Tag off at night, anyway, so there’s no real difference to taking my Tag off and putting it on the bedside table to taking off my Apple Watch and putting it on the charger on the bedside table.

A smartwatch is one of those things you don’t realise how useful they are until you have one and actually make use of the features. Yes, there’s nothing I wouldn’t be able to do with my phone, but the convenience is not having to take my phone out of my pocket.
+1

I find the health tracking, Apple Pay, walking navigation, HomeKit Siri Control and ability to add reminders the most useful features (over and above telling the time). As @Cardo says, nothing you can't do with the phone, but so much more convenient than you might imagine. WatchApp for Tesla is quite good, but I often have to wait so long for the car to wake up that I end up using the phone anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: NewbieT and Cardo