Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is AC powerful enough for AZ summers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That really sounds like range mode is on. Range mode reduces both compressor power and fan speed to make the car consume less energy - and recent findings suggest it runs the battery warmer, too - which may or may not have adverse effects to longevity.
I only use range mode in cold weather. It doesn't really affect energy use in hot weather and the battery is only cooled when it reaches the max threshold.

I only use range mode in cold weather. It doesn't really affect energy use in hot weather and the battery is only cooled when it reaches the max threshold.

I don't really disagree with anything you said. I also don't see what it has to do with what I said, unless you're focusing on the part about higher battery temperature in range mode.

I was just attempting to paraphrase the results in this thread:

Interesting finding about Range Mode

Well it hit 100 today. Still not 110+. (But supposedly that's on its way later this week.)

But today, I had to turn the AC down cuz it was downright chilly in the X. At one point, had to move the climate control from 72 to 74.

The real test is 107+ and then let it bake for a couple hours in that heat. Then precondition and test. Doesn't have to be instantly cool, no car is, but it should take no more than 5 minutes imo to get somewhat comfy.
So far, so good.

This week, while our garage is under construction, I'll have to have it baking on the street all day if anyone wants to come check it out. Biltmore area.

That is greatly appreciated, I may take you up on that but I hate to be a bother. If you prefer please post this weekend on how a baking X cools down. Weather channel predicts 110 degrees this weekend : )

I think it will be strong enough, but it is also very loud in the cabin with the air cranking - from the whooshing, but also from the noisy/rattling AC motor. I thought there was something wrong with mine, but service told me the rattle was normal (and the Model S loaner I had did the same thing). I live in Phx, and yes, we'll get a good test this weekend.

I will say that the preconditioning AC seems to work much better/faster than in a normal car with a keyless start option.

I was driving through California's central valley, temps of 97, and the air had no trouble keeping the cabin cool. However, when you supercharge, you lose air. It redirects it to cool the battery during charging. So staying in the car was unbearable. We had to find a place to wait.

I preconditioned before getting back in the car. Cabin went from 110+ down to low 70s in no time flat.

• Informative
Reactions: FarmerDave
116+ here in PHX today. AC worked wonderfully. I was out and about all day today, car baking in the sun the whole while. At one point, I went to pre-cool and the app showed the interior temp as -35 degrees! I think it was so hot, it broke the app's temp field. (Later it was working since it was down to 135 degrees).

I pre-cooled every time except once. In all pre-condition cases, it was great when we got to the car. The one time I didn't, it was hot of course, but was cooled nicely within 3-5 min of driving.

The dealer baked one for me today in Scottsdale and it cooled down adequately without preconditioning in 110 degrees. Not as cold as my Benz but adequate. So I think we're moving forward with our order.

Also got to test the new sun shades that are shipping with all Model X cars. Snaps into the top 1/3 to prevent direct sun on the scalp. Works nicely. X owners should inquire about getting them. Pretty sure the salesperson said they are sending the out to previous buyers.

116+ here in PHX today. AC worked wonderfully. I was out and about all day today, car baking in the sun the whole while. At one point, I went to pre-cool and the app showed the interior temp as -35 degrees! I think it was so hot, it broke the app's temp field. (Later it was working since it was down to 135 degrees).

I pre-cooled every time except once. In all pre-condition cases, it was great when we got to the car. The one time I didn't, it was hot of course, but was cooled nicely within 3-5 min of driving.

The temperature reading may have exceeded the maximum. There are different ways of representing negative numbers, but the most common is to use the most significant bit to represent a negative number. A programmer should have a check for the condition, but sometimes we get lazy and forget to put in a check.

You have to understand binary and hexadecimal to completely understand if, but if you have just one byte storing your data, the numbers you can have range from -127 to +127. If you get to +127 and add 1, instead of +128, you get -127, adding 2 goes from +127 to -126. I know it probably doesn't fully make sense to a non-programmer, but I've seen this bug crop up in other places where things suddenly go negative for no reason.

Obviously 127 wasn't the limit in this case and they are probably using more than one byte, but they are probably storing a larger number that has the temperature to one or two decimal places and they convert it to Centigrade or Fahrenheit to display. The limit to where it overflows and goes negative is probably around 140F.

Another possibility is the measuring hardware doesn't work above some temperature that can be seen in a hot car, but I would think any temperature sensor in a car would have an adequate range in the hardware.

The temperature reading may have exceeded the maximum. There are different ways of representing negative numbers, but the most common is to use the most significant bit to represent a negative number. A programmer should have a check for the condition, but sometimes we get lazy and forget to put in a check.

You have to understand binary and hexadecimal to completely understand if, but if you have just one byte storing your data, the numbers you can have range from -127 to +127. If you get to +127 and add 1, instead of +128, you get -127, adding 2 goes from +127 to -126. I know it probably doesn't fully make sense to a non-programmer, but I've seen this bug crop up in other places where things suddenly go negative for no reason.

Obviously 127 wasn't the limit in this case and they are probably using more than one byte, but they are probably storing a larger number that has the temperature to one or two decimal places and they convert it to Centigrade or Fahrenheit to display. The limit to where it overflows and goes negative is probably around 140F.

Another possibility is the measuring hardware doesn't work above some temperature that can be seen in a hot car, but I would think any temperature sensor in a car would have an adequate range in the hardware.

This is why I like this TMC forum - quality answers. Smart folks summarizing years of information into a useable sentence that answers user questions. Thanks wdolson, and all the rest of you smart guys. (someday you may ask a Q in my field, but none yet:D)

Reactions: ksquared

Actually, I used to program for a living :)

Cool, my DS reported to expect my X in the next 2 or so weeks, just when we are expecting triple digits in DFW

Even with the temps this past week (the car registered 100+ multiple days) I didn't have any issues with AC being cool enough. I even started pre-cooling (manually) the car using the app when we were out and about in Southlake.

I think you'll be fine.

The recent extreme heat in California was a perfect reason to test Model X in Temecula and Interstate 15. The A/C worked nicely while driving south with the sun overhead. I am pleased with the results.

OT: I was not pleased to have Edison lose power at the house on that hot day. In my rush to get Model X out of the garage before another power outage, I hit my elbow on a garage door controller laying on the armrest. The garage door hit the painted portion above the hatch window causing scratches and a partial removal of paint/plastic on the center part. Touch up paint helped the scrape. While the black lift-gate and center spine appliqués are replaceable, labor cost can be excessive. $107+ $547 labor for the center and $71 + $23 labor for the rear. Conclusion: watch out for the accidental pressing of either the key fob or a garage door controller left lying around.

Why do questions like this even come up? Have there been other cars by other manufacturers that didn't have A/C systems that would work in all areas? Do people ask this about others brands and cars? It's not a question I would ever ask, regardless of brand; the general assumption is that automotive A/C works.

I guess my question is -- and it's a serious question -- do people ask these kind of questions about other brands, or is there some bias that makes people think Tesla A/C doesn't work?