Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is AC powerful enough for AZ summers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my X for over a month. It seems to be the fan is a bit underpowered for the job. Even though it hasn't been hot in Colorado yet, i took the car on a trip to Texas a few weeks ago and it felt that when I got in without pre-conditioning, that it took too long to cool the car. Whenever I would pre-conditon, however, it was fine.

Reactions: Softwizard
Got to 80°F in Colorado today. So not hot yet, but nice and sunny. AC barely had to do any work. We'll see how it does in southern CO and the Arizona Desert when I'm driving through there in June. Not too concerned at the moment, but there is sure a lot of windshield glass. I'm a bit concerned that the tinting isn't up to the challenge of our relentless Colorado summertime sun.

This is a big concern of mine, having over the last 30 years lived in Ariz, Central Cal, and now in Texas. I have already had an SUV with an under-sized A/C compressor that was inadequate when the engine was at idle.

I have no experience with an EV HVAC system, but concerned that to save electrons, the A/C compressor may be inadequate, especially for the larger Model X cabin.

SInce no private owner has ever driven an X in the heat of summer, this upcoming season will be the first test.

My decision to purchase an X is hinged on this and look for feedback from others, as well as a test drive one afternoon in June or July.

I welcome all feedback from S and X owners.

This is a big concern of mine, having over the last 30 years lived in Ariz, Central Cal, and now in Texas. I have already had an SUV with an under-sized A/C compressor that was inadequate when the engine was at idle.

I have no experience with an EV HVAC system, but concerned that to save electrons, the A/C compressor may be inadequate, especially for the larger Model X cabin.

SInce no private owner has ever driven an X in the heat of summer, this upcoming season will be the first test.

My decision to purchase an X is hinged on this and look for feedback from others, as well as a test drive one afternoon in June or July.

I welcome all feedback from S and X owners.

The variable speed scroll compressor is far more efficient than the piston ones used by ICE cars. However, you may or may not like the auto settings and have to adjust them manually. The A/C is powerful enough to cool the battery when Supercharging--cooling the cabin is child's play by comparison.

Reactions: Richg
The variable speed scroll compressor is far more efficient than the piston ones used by ICE cars. However, you may or may not like the auto settings and have to adjust them manually. The A/C is powerful enough to cool the battery when Supercharging--cooling the cabin is child's play by comparison.

That makes great sense, I don't mind manual control of the unit over the auto temp feature...

...but what about:

1) Driving in the heat over 100 F ambient temp, will the compressor be needed to cool the cabin and the battery at the same time?

2) My garage gets to be over 110 F in the summer, will that be like running a stand-alone A/C with respect to electricity when the vehicle is plugged in just to keep the battery cool at rest?

3) How accurate is the app on Tesla's website to anticipate the drop in range while using A/C? We prefer to keep the cabin under 70 F with fans on

Thanks

After my X setting in the sun here in Georgia with the windows up, the air conditioner cools the X quickly. Today was cloudless 90 degree day here in Atlanta. No issue with cooling the cabin. I did note, however, that the air fans are only on when the 2nd and 3rd rows are occupied. That said, there is no issue with the front passengers being comfortable in the hottest part of the year (so far). Having lived Austin some years ago, I know how brutally hot the "dog-days" of summer can be there. Based on the performance here so far, I think it would be fine.

My garage will reach near 100 in the summer as well. Should I turn on "pre-conditioning" while in the garage. If so, with the X plugged in, will it maintain its SOC?

Concerned about that too. Thinking with sunshade and tint and pre-cooling we'll be fine. Has anyone tinted the front windshield yet? Is that possible? I know there are a number of clear heat reducing high end tints, just not sure if windshield is too BIG. Any comments?

Also, to fellow AZers, anyone take the trek to Tucson or flagstaff in an X yet? How'd the hill up the 17 impact range? What's your average wh/mile?

Thanks for feedback!

1) Driving in the heat over 100 F ambient temp, will the compressor be needed to cool the cabin and the battery at the same time?

2) My garage gets to be over 110 F in the summer, will that be like running a stand-alone A/C with respect to electricity when the vehicle is plugged in just to keep the battery cool at rest?

3) How accurate is the app on Tesla's website to anticipate the drop in range while using A/C? We prefer to keep the cabin under 70 F with fans on

1) This has never been a problem for me in Texas.

2) When the car isn't running, there isn't much heat generated, home charging is not like Supercharging in terms of heat generated. Some forced ventilation of the garage so that it stays at ambient temperature would be a good idea. Cooler and keeping it in the daily range is better for the battery.

3) I think it's reasonably correct, but I really haven't used it. Just like home A/C, the greater the temperature difference between outside and inside, the more energy you will use. I generally start with a higher setting (it still feels cool compared to outside) and then lower the temperature as I drive, this method uses the least amount of energy.

Here in AZ we should be up in the 100's in less than two weeks. Thinking of calling Tesla rep to see if she could let a Model X bake in the late afternoon sun for a couple of hours so I can come down and see how it preconditions and cools. Still not a 110+ degree test but if it's more than adequate at 103 degrees I'll be satisfied.

As jomo25 mentioned and fully agree, our S has also been fine and know the X will be similar. The A/C fan will be noisy at first but you will use the pre-cool option via the app often and is a great feature. It will stay on for ~30 min at a time so just plan accordingly.

Here in AZ we should be up in the 100's in less than two weeks. Thinking of calling Tesla rep to see if she could let a Model X bake in the late afternoon sun for a couple of hours so I can come down and see how it preconditions and cools. Still not a 110+ degree test but if it's more than adequate at 103 degrees I'll be satisfied.

That makes great sense, I don't mind manual control of the unit over the auto temp feature...

...but what about:

Thanks

Can’t comment on a black/black combo but have found blue/white seats to handle high heat & humidity very easily with reasonable range loss.

Drove X from Fl to NC yesterday in 90+ heat and supercharged at “hot” locations. Will send complete trip report in next few days. Found efficiency to be much better than I had anticipated / EVplanner and in some cases lost very little range miles. Please note I wasn’t driving at very high speeds but rather 75-78 mph.

FWIW: I view South FL heat/humidity combo to be equivalent to AZ summer....my garage gets very hot but to-date has handled charging very well.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: systemcrashed