TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is ambient light buzzing resolved?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ddruz, Apr 3, 2013.

1. ddruz

ddruz Member

Haven't seen a post on this in a long time. Wondering if I can cross this off the Punch List I moderate over at the Telsa forum.

Recent car recipients: Do you have an ambient light buzzing when the lights are turned down low?

Original car recipients: Has your ambient light buzzing problem been resolved?

Thanks.

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Mine don't buzz, but I have not yet found out how to dim them in the first place. Do they dim with the slider that dims the screens? If so, I do have my screens dimmed and no buzzing that I can hear.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Mine still buzz, but it's only really perceptible between songs and when climate control is running at low or off, and even then you have to strain to hear it. As you move the brightness slider you can hear the buzzing change. For me it occurs when the brightness slider is below 70% or so.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

So the screen brightness slider adjusts the ambients too? I didn't realize that. Mine seem fairly bright even when I have the screens dimmed down at night. I'll have to check and see if that's how mine work. Maybe Tesla fixed the problem by just having the ambients either on or off with no dimming???

5. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

That would be the simple fix but it doesn't seem like they've implemented that yet (I don't know why).

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

My Sig Perf still buzzes when the ambients are on and the screens are below some threshold %age of brightness. I turn the ambients on periodically, sigh that the issue isn't fixed, then turn them back off. Unavailable-because-it-costs-more-than-it's-worth features are like a mild headache that just won't go away.

7. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

No buzzing here. Built second week of January.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Still buzzing.

9. vcor

vcor Member

No buzzing for me. Built 3rd week of January.

10. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

When you say no buzzing here, please make sure it is dark, you are in night mode, and your screen brightness is way down (10% of less in my case).
    Buzzing galore in that situation...

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Checked mine last night in the garage. I didn't realize the ambients dimmed with the screen, but see that they, in fact, do. I have no buzzing at all at any screen dimming setting (at least that I could hear).

12. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Mine buzz loudly when night brightness is set below 20%. I have to leave Ambient off.

Asked at the service center if there was a fix yet, and the Service Manager said "no, not that he's heard of". Waiting.....

13. ddruz

ddruz Member

I'm wondering if they possibly fixed the problem at some point such that cars above a certain VIN no longer have it and only earlier cars do.

Hopefully others will continue to post so we can see if this hypothesis holds up.

14. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I would be happy if the ambient lights were simply not dimmed and were either on or off. The brightness of them isn't something that needs to be adjusted, at least not in my car.

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That's actually how I thought they worked until I tried them out last night. They did dim in concert with the dash setting on my old Cadillac...

16. walla2

walla2 Member

I'm on 4.3 and mine still buzz at below 80% (Sig Performance, Delivered in Dec 2012).

17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Agreed.

18. joepruitt

joepruitt Seattle Sig Red #497

I'm a sig holder as well (Oct 2012) and still have the buzzing anywhere below 80% running the 4.3 firmware. My only solution is to turn it off. I've told support about it but they said they don't have a solution yet. Really nice feature that I wish I could use.

-Joe

19. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Just confirmed, no fix yet, with my service tech while he was here.

20. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I imagine it'll be a hardware fix. My car, delivered about a month ago, does not exhibit this behavior on either 4.2 or 4.3 firmware.