Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is ambient light buzzing resolved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take good care of her. ;)

Been very respectful of her and we have been out a few times to really stretch her legs!

Update on the lights - After further testing, in my opinion there isn't any buzzing related to the ambient lighting in the loaner car I'm driving. I tested out all the different levels of brightness last night, tried it with the lights in Day, Night and Auto as well as with the Ambient lights on and off. The buzzing level did not change at all. But I will say there was a low level of buzzing that was constant regardless of any changes I made above. It's not as prominent as the Ambient light buzzing I get in my Sig, but it's there. I also get a similar buzzing sound in my Sig with the ambient lights off, so maybe it's just something that is inherent with the way the car is setup.

Once I get my car back from service next week I'll do some testing on it to see if my perceived level of buzzing without the ambient lights was the same, more or less than the loaner car.

Also I have some observations on both the handling/ride (P85 vs. P85+) and the sound systems (std. sound vs. Studio sound package) that I'll post at some point in time in the relevant threads.

I believe you mentioned already having a screen replacement, no? It was speculated earlier in this thread that the culprit is the 17" display.

My screen was replaced due to blue tooth reception problems (told that the BT antenna is integral to the center screen/computer module hence they replaced it). Good news: that *DID* fix the BT reception problem...... Bad News: Ambient lighting still buzzes *EXACTLY* the same as before.

Anybody had luck getting Tesla to address this problem?

I'm not quite sure why they don't just fix this problem is software. All they need to do is decouple the dimming of the screen and the dimming of the ambient lights. If you turn on the ambient light option they should just come on at full brightness and they won't buzz. Not sure why this hasn't been done. I've been told by the LA service guys that Tesla does not plan to fix the hardware in the older cars that buzz. If that is truly the case then they need to implement this simple software fix.

I'm not quite sure why they don't just fix this problem is software. All they need to do is decouple the dimming of the screen and the dimming of the ambient lights. If you turn on the ambient light option they should just come on at full brightness and they won't buzz. Not sure why this hasn't been done. I've been told by the LA service guys that Tesla does not plan to fix the hardware in the older cars that buzz. If that is truly the case then they need to implement this simple software fix.

+1 DrComputer – I would be fine with full bright on the ambient lighting. I suspect however that there is only a single dimming circuit used for both the LCD backlights and the ambient lighting. That will be a hardware change if its the case.

I suspect that many folks like me just dealt with this issue by setting screen brightness to >90%. Now the FW change in v5.6/8 makes the brightness change automatically, very smart but that means the buzzing comes on when the screen brightness changes <90%.

Options are now: turn off the ambient lights completely or manually reset the screen brightness from day to night every morning/evening.

Aaaaaaargh! :cursing:

I suspect that many folks like me just dealt with this issue by setting screen brightness to >90%. Now the FW change in v5.6/8 makes the brightness change automatically, very smart but that means the buzzing comes on when the screen brightness changes <90%.

Options are now: turn off the ambient lights completely or manually reset the screen brightness from day to night every morning/evening.

Aaaaaaargh! :cursing:

Yeah, I'll be asking about this at my next service visit. I have the service plan which covers "hardware upgrades" so I feel that ambient lights should be included given that a newer version reduces the buzzing.

I haven't heard the buzzing in a while, and I leave my Night @ 25%. I dunno if they fixed it or if I just went tone deaf to that buzzing.

LOL. I never heard the buzzing to start with. I still don't hear it. I normally set night at 5% except in when it's still light and auto has switched to night mode, then it's 50%.