Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is an AWD Model S Necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I'm pretty worried about what it's going to be like in the winter and also my personal skills as I've never driven a RWD before. I have to deal with a few big hills, and when it gets icy, I always see RWD pickup trucks struggling and/or failing to make it up the hills, yet I have never had a problem with the same roads in my FWD sedan, and I don't use chains.

I know FWD isn't very "sexy" when it comes to cars, but it definitely seems more intuitive and safe to me. If there had been an AWD option on the S, I would definitely have taken it.

Well I'm pretty worried about what it's going to be like in the winter and also my personal skills as I've never driven a RWD before. I have to deal with a few big hills, and when it gets icy, I always see RWD pickup trucks struggling and/or failing to make it up the hills, yet I have never had a problem with the same roads in my FWD sedan, and I don't use chains.

With vehicle stability control you don't worry about spin-outs. You have to really work to make the car break-away. The reason that most RWD cars have a problem with hills is because there is no weight in the back end so the tires just break traction and spin. With the Model S, there is plenty of weight back there so traction up hills shouldn't be a problem provided you have proper tires on. For areas with a real winter the way to go is to have four winter wheels and four real snow tires from a first tier tire manufacturer. Severe service all-seasons are almost as good--too bad Nokian doesn't make them in the Model S' size.

Well I'm pretty worried about what it's going to be like in the winter ...
There's a video on YouTube of a hill with ice on it, and cars attempting to get up or down it, going out of control, and sliding into each other. As noted earlier, 4WD and AWD make you overconfident so you get stuck more often. I got stuck all the time in my old Jeep. I never once got stuck in my Honda Civic. Some folks really need AWD. But for most of us, 2WD is a safety feature because it keeps us at home until the roads have been cleared. FWD or RWD, I suspect the bigger factors are stability control, traction control, tires, and driver skill.

There's a video on YouTube of a hill with ice on it, and cars attempting to get up or down it, going out of control, and sliding into each other. As noted earlier, 4WD and AWD make you overconfident so you get stuck more often. I got stuck all the time in my old Jeep. I never once got stuck in my Honda Civic. Some folks really need AWD. But for most of us, 2WD is a safety feature because it keeps us at home until the roads have been cleared. FWD or RWD, I suspect the bigger factors are stability control, traction control, tires, and driver skill.

There are a lot of factors that go into how much traction a car gets or doesn't get not least of which are good snow tires and driving appropriately for the conditions. The model S should be able to handle almost everything with these 2 added to its low center of gravity and relatively even distribution of weight over the wheels. However, I am willing to bet in the most extreme on road traction challenging situations the right implementation of AWD will help significantly.

Someone once posted this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw on how all AWD systems are not alike. Seeing a video like this helps me appreciate the people who claim AWD is mostly to sell cars but largely unneeded. There are a lot of sub par AWD systems mated to cars with poor weight distribution further decreasing its effectiveness. However, Elon has claimed that the model X will have a far superior AWD (to other manufacturers) because the all electric power-train gives unprecedented control over each iwheel's grip. Combine that system to the Model S's even, low weight distribution, some good snow tires, and an experienced driver, and you have a car that would be able to handle any on road traction challenge short of maybe freezing rain.

There are videos on the 'net of Roadsters in the snow ... [begin shameless plug for my own videos]

Truck is stuck ... icy. Roadster has no issues. Then the same route with my Subaru AWD (which is a MONSTER in the snow).

Last edited by a moderator:
While in some way I share the excitement, also a word of caution: He said the Model X definitely will have 4WD, while for the Model S they are looking at it. That might mean they are building a prototype, or even just that they are investigating the pros and cons. Although it does come pretty close to saying there will be one, which would certainly seem to make sense, so one should be able to expect it from that point of view.

Sacrifice

guy from tesla says theyre working on an awd version of the model during the test drive! Dam how much more is that going to cost me and will effect range?

Check out the video guy could be wrong.

MSP testdrive nov26 2012 Oslo - YouTube

There's possibly one catch: the AWD version will likely not have the front trunk, or have a reduced one. You have to put the motor and inverter somewhere.

I sure hope so! Only reason they don't have my deposit now.

PS dual motor AWD should be _epic_ for traction. Not just because it's electric, but because having a center differential sucks. Imagine: software can control both axles to a given _speed_ regardless of torque output. No excess spinning, no delays, no lack of traction, no binding in tight turns.

Forget snow. AWD is needed for wet roads. I'll leave RWD for track day cars. Real roads, real conditions, need tons of torque and traction.

No other ICE car can have a design as elegant and dynamic performance to match, not to mention crazy potential torque.