Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is an AWD Model S Necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As in the model S is worse? Do you use winter tires AnOutsider?

Similar experience here. I've installed the best winter tires (Nokian) and the car is ok in the snow. But it's not great. If you stop in the middle of an incline you can get stuck.

*For my own taste* and after one winter with my Model S, my opinion is that it's not good enough for me in the snow (okay I live in a snowy part of Canada and I'm used to Audi's Quattro). That's why I stored my S and rented an AWD car for the winter while praying for an AWD Model S for next winter.

Last edited:
We live on a hill, against the mountain in Utah. We have a 2008 Subaru Outback with all season tires. We have never needed true snow tires for the Subaru because it does fine with climbing into our neighborhood no matter the snow conditions. The Roadster with winter snow tires does well, but not as well as the Subaru. The Model S with 19" wheels and stock Goodyear all seasons does ok in the snow but not as well as the Roadster with its snow tires.

The traction control on the Model S works well, but climbing the snow covered hill in front of our house the traction control slowly brought the Model S to a complete stop, it then started rolling slowly backward. Our Subaru is the only car I'm aware of in our neighborhood that has never had a problem climbing this hill, and our neighborhood has many 4x4/AWD vehicles. I once got home at 2am with 9-12" of unplowed snow on the road to find a neighbor in his 4x4 truck stuck spinning his wheels trying to get into the neighborhood. I had him follow in the tracks of my Subaru which allowed him to get through the steeper parts of our neighborhood.

So yeah, the Model S is ok in the snow but it isn't a Subaru. If the AWD option had been avail I certainly would have gotten it. Once Tesla works our the AWD S and X, I believe they will be the best snow handling vehicles on the road.

We are looking forward to the AWD X!

I'm biased because I have a Subaru, but I don't understand why people get excited about other more expensive awd systems, I haven't driven every awd car of course, but it seems like subarus just quietly outperform other systems, at least until Tesla does awd:) I've had a subaru for over ten years, and frequently am driving in the mountains, never even been close to getting stuck in snow and it's helped me avoid other out of control cars dozens of times, and I've never had snow tires or put chains on. I just have decent all season tires and a brand new looking pair of chains that never have been out of the bag.

I'm biased because I have a Subaru, but I don't understand why people get excited about other more expensive awd systems, I haven't driven every awd car of course, but it seems like subarus just quietly outperform other systems, at least until Tesla does awd:) I've had a subaru for over ten years, and frequently am driving in the mountains, never even been close to getting stuck in snow and it's helped me avoid other out of control cars dozens of times, and I've never had snow tires or put chains on. I just have decent all season tires and a brand new looking pair of chains that never have been out of the bag.

Subaru's AWD system is the best IMHO, but there is a video out there somewhere that shows how Subaru's AWD system will send much more power to a given single wheel that has traction when all others do not have traction.

Well, there is the brute force, manual system on my Jeep Cherokee that I think works better. In part-time high-range or low-range, the transfer case in the Jeep is locked up with front and rear axels turning at the same speed. In addition, I have ARB Air Lockers that are a pneumatic system that lets the driver "lock" front and rear axels independently. If I lock the transfer case and turn on both front and rear air lockers, all four tires turn at the same speed, slipping or not. If one wheel has traction, the Jeep will move. It may not steer quite as well, and on dry pavement, it will scrub a lot of rubber, but it will move if there is a hint of traction. Because of the steering issue, in most poor traction situations, I run with the transfer case locked and only the rear lockers on.

Even with all of that, snow tires, and four chains, my 18% driveway and three+ feet of fresh snow stopped the Jeep. It was great fun backing down to a place where I could turn around in the blizzard. After that, I learned to wait for my snow plow guy; he uses a skid-steer with chains and a hydraulic two-stage snow blower on the front, so he just clears his own path up the hill. BTW, the skid-steer is not a bad traction system either, but does scrub rubber on dry pavement... :wink:

Well, there is the brute force, manual system on my Jeep Cherokee that I think works better. In part-time high-range or low-range, the transfer case in the Jeep is locked up with front and rear axels turning at the same speed. In addition, I have ARB Air Lockers that are a pneumatic system that lets the driver "lock" front and rear axels independently. If I lock the transfer case and turn on both front and rear air lockers, all four tires turn at the same speed, slipping or not. If one wheel has traction, the Jeep will move. It may not steer quite as well, and on dry pavement, it will scrub a lot of rubber, but it will move if there is a hint of traction. Because of the steering issue, in most poor traction situations, I run with the transfer case locked and only the rear lockers on.

Even with all of that, snow tires, and four chains, my 18% driveway and three+ feet of fresh snow stopped the Jeep. It was great fun backing down to a place where I could turn around in the blizzard. After that, I learned to wait for my snow plow guy; he uses a skid-steer with chains and a hydraulic two-stage snow blower on the front, so he just clears his own path up the hill. BTW, the skid-steer is not a bad traction system either, but does scrub rubber on dry pavement... :wink:
My Audi just applies the brake to the spinning tire(s) to shift the power to the remainder. Never have been stuck even when accidently slipping down into the barrow pit alongside my driveway and plowing thru 3+ ft of show (which billowed up over the hood requiring use of the the wipers to see). Of couse, no 18% grade to contend with either. I leave the steel tracks on my skid steer nearly year around. Hard on the lawn when turning in the summer, but great in fresh snow. Since they have a moderate amount of flat steel on the ground the traction on ice is not so good, but you can really have some fun doing donuts and power side slides...

I would buy an AWD Model S over a Model X. It adds additional performance and handling, especially in the snow, and the S will be cheaper than the X with the same sized pack. It's like my A6 Quattro, definitely not an off road vehicle, but I bought it for the AWD for snowy and slushy conditions.

*raises hand* Ditto. Unfortunately, the AWD Model S is coming out a couple of years too late; I almost talked someone I know into buying a Model S, but it was AWD or nothing for him thanks to the weather here. And he only buys sedans.

I would have bought AWD Model S had it been available. Model X is waaaay too big for my needs.

*raises hand* Ditto. Unfortunately, the AWD Model S is coming out a couple of years too late; I almost talked someone I know into buying a Model S, but it was AWD or nothing for him thanks to the weather here. And he only buys sedans.

I would have bought AWD Model S had it been available. Model X is waaaay too big for my needs.
+1, and snow and ice + falcon doors = trouble IMO.