Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is an uncovered interior camera required for Autopilot on non-FSD firmware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving on Autopilot/Navigate on Autopilot makes my long commutes tolerable. My eyes are always on the road, attentive, and my hands on the wheel.

I don't trust interior cameras. I have my interior Model 3 camera covered. (I also don't have any cameras facing inside my home.)

I'm on 2021.24.11 right now. If I update to the latest non-FSD beta firmware, will I still be able to use Autopilot with my interior camera covered? I'd like to update but not at the cost of losing Autopilot since I will always have my interior camera covered.

Driving on Autopilot/Navigate on Autopilot makes my long commutes tolerable. My eyes are always on the road, attentive, and my hands on the wheel.

I don't trust interior cameras. I have my interior Model 3 camera covered. (I also don't have any cameras facing inside my home.)

I'm on 2021.24.11 right now. If I update to the latest non-FSD beta firmware, will I still be able to use Autopilot with my interior camera covered? I'd like to update but not at the cost of losing Autopilot since I will always have my interior camera covered.
I forgot to add, I have a radar-equipped Model 3.

I believe so. DirtyTesla (YouTuber) has shown that his car will throw up the red hands warning if the camera is covered, iirc.

Just FYI, Tesla hacker greentheonly, iirc, looked into it and said that the images from the interior camera aren’t sent anywhere. All processing for monitoring driver attention is handled by the car. Of course, that could change in the future, I guess, but if you’re that paranoid I hope you don’t carry around a smartphone or at least take pains to cover all of its cameras and muffle the mics, since that’s a way easier way to get all the data anyone could ever need on you.