Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anybody attending the June 20th battery swap demo in Hawthorne?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

deonb

Mar 4, 2013
Redmond, WA
Just in case there is a Q/A at the end it would be helpful to prepare a thread with some questions to Elon in case the demonstration does not cover this implicitly.

Here are some questions that I would find interesting:

In case of PRIMARY battery swap:
1) In your original tweet regarding this announcement, you mentioned that this will be available "anywhere in the country" - actually worldwide originally. Could you elaborate on how this would accomplish that?
2) What is the revenue and cost model of the swapper?
3) What differentiates this model from Better Place and how would you prevent the media from tying the two?
4) Would a 60kWh/40kWh be able to swap to a 85kWh, and if a 40kWh swaps to a larger battery, will they be able to charge it at a SuperCharger?
5) Any chance this can be deployed to cities to support customers who can't charge at home?

In (very remote) case of SECONDARY battery swap:
1) Are there any discussions about licensing this technology to other companies both inside and outside of the automotive industry?
2) Do you already have a distribution network licensed? If I'm a private convenience store owner in a remote location, how can I go about to offer this as a service to my customers?
3) This obviously requires some modifications to the existing vehicles. Do you expect that all Model X and Gen III vehicles will be shipping with this option from the start?

Both cases
A) Javier Verdura mentioned in a Core77 interview recently that he expects charging technology to still improve over time up to the point of it being as fast as a gas fillup. Does having a battery swapping service instead now signal that you do not expect SuperCharger technology to further improve beyond what it is, but that we can instead inspect investment like this into other solutions?

PS: Remember the in-person demo now is at 8pm PST - not 9:30pm.

Last edited:
June 20th Battery Swap Event Thread

Single thread for confirmed battery swap info?

Elon has revealed some of the details in a Reuters interview:

Alluded to being under 2min.
50-100m in capex to cover US
At Supercharger locations, how many is based on demand.

YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Shared in a different thread. Article from same interview.

"Tesla will first test the swap program in high-traffic corridors between Los Angeles and San Francisco as well in the Washington-New York-Boston region." - http://www.reuters.com/article/2013...S&feedName=cyclicalConsumerGoodsSector&rpc=43

Last edited:
Single thread for confirmed battery swap info?

Elon has revealed some of the details in a Reuters interview:

Alluded to being under 2min.
50-100m in capex to cover US
At Supercharger locations, how many is based on demand.

YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Shared in a different thread. Article from same interview.

"Tesla will first test the swap program in high-traffic corridors between Los Angeles and San Francisco as well in the Washington-New York-Boston region." - http://www.reuters.com/article/2013...S&feedName=cyclicalConsumerGoodsSector&rpc=43

Nice thanks for this. I thought the interview was an hour long. This is 10 min. Only an excerpt I guess...

If you are attending, the TesLA club is gathering at a local eatery before going over to the Design center.

If you can join us, drop an email to info @ Teslaclubla.com so we can squeeze you into the restaurant reservations.

Tesla Design Studio, Thursday, 6/20 @ 7:30pm
3203 Jack Northrop Avenue
Hawthorne, CA 90250

We will meet at the Marina del Rey Cheesecake Factory at 5:30pm:
4142 Vía Marina Marina Del Rey, CA 90292
http://locations.thecheesecakefactory.com/ca/marina-del-rey-2.html

The TeslaClubLA Team