Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone able to order Custom Plates in CA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been trying to use the DMV website for a few weeks now, but every time I go to process payment I get an error that the plates have been removed from my cart. It removes the item and I have to reconfigure all over again. I have tried paying by online check and credit card without luck.

Is there some secret to ordering custom plates?

I had the same issue online so I went to AAA to order plates and they told me there are certain combinations of numbers and letters that are not allowed. the online service does not give a reason why it is rejected. AAA told me the combinations that are not allowed but I don't think I have it anymore. I was trying use use 3 letters followed by 3 numbers and vice versa. Those combos aren't allowed. The online site will allow you to go all the way through to payment before it is rejected and doesn't give any reason. I ended up ordering 4 letters followed by 3 numbers and that was OK.

One of the ladies helping me actually referenced a DMV code that specified the combinations that were not allowed. I think its related to some letter and number combinations being for emergency vehicles.

I guarantee this is the reason you are being denied the plates.

I wouldn't count on every AAA service person being knowledgeable about this. The first lady helping me couldn't understand why the plate was being rejected either so she asked for help and the second lady told her about the DMV code.

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner
I had the same issue online so I went to AAA to order plates and they told me there are certain combinations of numbers and letters that are not allowed. the online service does not give a reason why it is rejected. AAA told me the combinations that are not allowed but I don't think I have it anymore. I was trying use use 3 letters followed by 3 numbers and vice versa. Those combos aren't allowed. The online site will allow you to go all the way through to payment before it is rejected and doesn't give any reason. I ended up ordering 4 letters followed by 3 numbers and that was OK.

One of the ladies helping me actually referenced a DMV code that specified the combinations that were not allowed. I think its related to some letter and number combinations being for emergency vehicles.

I wouldn't count on every AAA service person being knowledgeable about this. The first lady helping me couldn't understand why the plate was being rejected either so she asked for help and the second lady told her about the DMV code.
wow that's crazy, well there goes my idea anyways...

B2E5DE0B-8B80-4A98-9BEA-E9F7FE41FE94.jpeg
Got mine.

3 letter & 3 numbers and vice-versa are reserved for sequential number plates (for 6 digit plates). The new legacy plates use 5 digits for sequential (although up to 7 for personalized) - format is L###L#. There are other sequences reserved for sequential plates. Emergency (exempt) vehicles typically have the EXEMPT at the top of the license plate and 7 numerical digits.

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner
I called the CA DMV today--used the auto callback feature as there was a 1-1/2 hour hold time. Long story short--they see my plates 'in process'. Otherwise no useful data. And now they are running 3-6 months for custom personalized legacy plates.