Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone actually buying the 40 kWh Model S at this point?

I planned on puchasing a 40 kWh Model S

• The S40 still fits my needs, and I am still getting one

Votes: 47 58.8%
  • The S40 no longer meets my needs, so I am going with a S60

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • The S40 no longer meets my needs, so I cancelled my reservation

Votes: 4 5.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla needs to get rid of the misleading 160 mile pack. It has less than 1/2 of the 85kw pack and that is rated at 265 miles. Sure the 85kw pack is supposedly heavier or maybe not. They need to get the EPA estimates out. In standard charge I'm hoping for 100 miles.

Sigh... not starting the 40's until March? Trying to make lemonade here. A couple extra months may enable me to save for a paint color... if Tesla will change my order from black. Sticking with the 40kwh as a 55 mile per day commuter.

Based on the difference in EPA mileage between the 85kwh and 60kwh versions it is very likely that the 40kwh version will have EPA numbers of 100MPGe and an estimated range of 153 miles. Very compelling numbers if the car is going to be used for inner city commuting.

I talked with some folks with a BMW ActiveE (or w/e it is called) and they had tons of questions about the S. I think they were a little surprised at the affordable 40Kwh version of the Model S and how nice it is. About the same price as the ActiveE (which is lease only at this point) and arguably a nicer car.

So I think the 40 has a market.

Last edited:
My driving is Sunday about 20 miles Monday 55 Tuesday to Friday 32 Saturday no more than 30 probably less. Monday to Friday 16 miles with a steep hill climb for about 6 miles and some times I am forced to floor it and get up to 85 briefly but the trip home I go downhill about 6 miles. Looking at the graphs of speed versus miles I am more than good even if I forgot to charge one day. I will most likely charge at 110V 15 Amps.

I plan to go with the 40 Kwh. I no longer like driving long distances (to much military travel in my younger days), I prefer to fly and be done with it. My wife has a Toyota Avalon so if we want to shoot over to Orlando from Pensacola for a weekend-get-away, we can use that. Originally when I was searching for a special car for myself, I had a coupe in mind but then I came across the Model S, fell in love and the rest is history but I really don't need two large cars. I still want a couple so I'll get the 40 Kwh which will fit my immediate driving needs until Tesla puts out a coupe then I'll get that fully loaded and pass the Model S to my wife who doesn't work so her travel miles are not that far. Get rid of the Toyota Avalon and have a completely EV household.

I'm not worried about resale value because I run my cars until the feels (or battery) fall off:wink:. Most the times I just give them to a family member in need or someone in my church who is in need of something to get them through some tough times.

With the 40Kwh price and just the option I want, I'll almost be able to pay it off with cash and just have a very small portion to finance, if any at all. I have a reservation and don't expect my car until deep into 2013. I don't mind waiting, just means less bugs, more time to save larger down payment, and clarity on a few issues raised on this wonderful forum.

Cheers:biggrin: All

Andre

After quite a bit of discussion, we decided we'd be getting a 40kwh version. Range isn't a huge issue for us since we rarely drive more than 80 miles a day and honestly we don't need a car that can run M5s for a daily (otherwise, we'd just pick up a GT-R). Additionally, as Lotus owners we've been converted to the mantra of "get the lightest one available."

We're not desperate for a new car - if it takes a year to deliver, that's totally fine.

Last edited:
Hmm not sure if I agree with the numbers in the original post...I guess EPA range hasn't yet been announced on the 40 kWh version but if the 85 kWh is anything to go by...Tesla said 300 miles EPA said 265 miles...that's roughly a 15% optimistic range stated by Tesla...carry that over to the 40 kWh with a Tesla stated 160 miles you should end up with an EPA 135 miles at least. Not sure how we get to "100 mile real world range" from that? Maybe someone can help me out?
Tesla anticipates a 20% loss of capacity from average driving in 8 years so even after these 8 years have passed I would think you should still be getting at least 105 EPA miles per charge?
I would think with your 90 mile commute you wouldn't have a problem even after 8 years but it would be cutting it a bit close I suppose...however you should be able to replace your battery (perhaps for a much bigger one) for less $ per kWh in 2020 I imagine...I have though about going for the smaller 40 kWh pack for this very reason...so that I can upgrade to a larger pack in future for less money per kWh....anybody else thought about this?

After quite a bit of discussion, we decided we'd be getting a 40kwh version. Range isn't a huge issue for us since we rarely drive more than 80 miles a day and honestly we don't need a car that can run M5s for a daily (otherwise, we'd just pick up a GT-R). Additionally, as Lotus owners we've been converted to the mantra of "get the lightest one available."

We're not desperate for a new car - if it takes a year to deliver, that's totally fine.

How often do you drive 80 miles? Remember, the EPA rating is also for a range charge which is something you don't want to do in a daily basis or weekly basis if you don't need to. Weather and driving style also come into play. Once Supercharging becomes widespread that may be something useful as well but if it truly is mostly an around town car then 40 kWh should be plenty.

How often do you drive 80 miles? Remember, the EPA rating is also for a range charge which is something you don't want to do in a daily basis or weekly basis if you don't need to. Weather and driving style also come into play. Once Supercharging becomes widespread that may be something useful as well but if it truly is mostly an around town car then 40 kWh should be plenty.

Just remember that supercharging is not available for the 40kWh version.
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options

Just remember that supercharging is not available for the 40kWh version.
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options

I meant more along the lines of Supercharging making the 60 and 85 kWh packs possibly more attractive even if the added daily range isn't needed but if you aren't planning on ever really leaving town and only need a city car then 40 kWh is probably more than enough. I would think an 80 mile trip at typical highway speeds in bad weather would cut it a little close for a 40 kWh pack after a few years.

What does "range charge" mean?