Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone completely happy with their M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today is ordering day. Lots of brilliantly informative stuff on here and am grateful for this little community to guide new people to the EV world through.

I enjoy reading about people’s first impressions, first week, first 1,000 miles with their new expensive toy.

I realise that a lot of people don't use forums like this but I am left wondering is anyone 100% completely happy with their M3?

thanks
Yes :)

If you haven't already make sure you look at someone's profile on here to get a referral code (1000 free supercharger miles for you).

Love mine. 98%.

My wish list:
Schedule charging end time
Better wind noise reduction from wing mirrors
Speed camera alerts
3rd party 100kWh+ charger pre-charging.
DAB station logos.
FSD on subscription
Sentry clips viewable on app
Apple Shortcuts enabled for the app
Official API

Reactions: pow216
Happiness depends on whether or not something's changed. In the past, whenever I've bought a car, I've found I liked some things, disliked other things, and that view has stayed pretty constant all the time I've owned it. If my Tesla was like that then I'd generally be both happier and more comfortable when driving it.

However, Tesla ownership is pretty much all about waiting for something to glitch. I wrote a while ago that Tesla updates are like the hand that giveth and the hand that taketh away, and that applies even when there hasn't been an obvious update. For example, randomly losing the ability to precondition the car a couple of weeks ago. As annoying as hell for a time.

Likewise with updates that add some pretty unimportant feature (for me) but break some very useful feature I use all the time. I can't be certain that the car will behave the same way next time I drive it, as it did the time before, or whether there will be another random "Tesla event", that means I need to intervene somehow to restore order. Last week it was the loss of the screen and audio, together with all the saved radio settings. Very irritating, as it meant patiently setting things up again, but apparently just another one of the joys of owning a Tesla.

In my second week of ownership and done 600+ miles in it.

Collection for me was superb, no issues I've found, pressing the accelerator is going to be fun for AGES, plus it's great having unsuspecting people in the car and watching thier reactions!!!

Daily driving 80-90 mile round trip took a little getting used to going from a 450 mile diesel tank to charging (without a home charger yet), I took to AP quite easily had a few squeaky bum moments with phantom braking but all in all great and pleasurable to drive.

Once you have the car and you're happy with the condition of it you will fall head over heels for it, i'm definitely getting a Y when my lease expires unless there is something else on the horizon (doubt Mrs F will let me have a cybertruck lol!)

Reactions: Spacep0d
Am I happy? Yes, apart from some very very minor things;

I’d like it if Lotus or Porsche could iron out the US centric handling and inject a bit of life into the steering feel.
I’d like it if Tesla could adopt a few learnings from other EV manufacturers, especially regarding the autopilot calibration.
I’d like it if the interior designers would take a seat in an Audi, and just sit there for half an hour and absorb what a £50k car interior should be like.
I’d like it to be about 4 inches narrower, 8 to 10 inches shorter, and about 4 inches lower in the roofline.
I’d like it if the stylist didn’t have a minor obsession with frogs, and start his every working day by opening up his tin of crayons with a hammer.

Also;
I’d like it to be about 900kg lighter.

Other than that, it’s absolutely fine.

Last 2 cars were BMW 5 Series Tourings, ran from new and we’ll beyond end of lease. Simply fantastic family cars. With trepidation I ordered an MP3 and wasn’t exactly sure what to expect. Delivery day was incredible, my car was prepped surprisingly well for a lockdown collection and had zero issues of significance. A couple of minor trim adjustments easily fixed by the mobile service.

The car is just such a pleasant place to be, not just the amazing performance but also the stress free cockpit.

It’s impossible to be 100% happy with any car, but the fundamentals are sublime and in my opinion far outweigh the issues with TACC, panel gaps etc.

Oh and you can’t ignore the Supercharger network. I know this isn’t directly car related, but you can’t get away from the effect this has on your EV experience.

So far EVERYTHING else on offer seems a bit boring and not quite as good . The ONLY car that could tempt me (if I was looking for another car) is the Audi Etron sport back ... mainly because the interior looks to be a nicer place to be , however the comprise is the battery distance and power ! my M3P still puts a smile on my face even after 11 months !

Last edited:
The only things that do consistently bug me are...

1. The phantom breaking ! Drives me insane and makes me look a right dick on the motorway (as well as give me whiplash!)
2. The fact the I paid for FSD and it doesn’t bloody work still

It has some quirks. It’s a different car every month. It will always make you smile.
100% happy? Not quite, but will be one day. wouldn’t swap it

Same as this. Love the car. Came from i3 which had better fit and finish, but THIS car, omg so much better. My OCD has been lowered due to meds so I don't mind the "things" don't aren't quite right. LOL.

Very happy. It's still a joy to drive and use, and a novelty 6 months on. The tech features such as netflix and youtube when you are parked, are just another level from many cars, as well as pre-heating the cabin, seats etc.

I came from a Skoda Superb in top level trim which was a great car, but still had some small annoying issues. I prefer the M3 and expect some some gripes, because ALL cars have them.

I am in the US but a Brit so helpfully can still comment with relevance. I left a chain of 7 BMWs all new back to back including a 2016 650ix which was the nicest/most luxurious, a 2011 M3 and most recently an X5 4.0 PHEV.

I drove the M3P quite extensively and ultimately went for the MYP PUP.

I think the most important factor is your mindset, if you are of the position that this is 'just' a car and to compare to your choice of favoured ICE car then there are definitely some deficits which you'll notice and may annoy you especially at this price point. If however if you take holistic consideration of the car and the infrastructure and Tesla ambitions, its astounding.

Interior is subjective, but as others have said and for me, the simplicity of the interior grows on you quickly. I would say within 3 days maximum I was fully accustomed, and now when I get into a 'normal' car such as my partners BMW X2 I find it to be very distracting and just seems overkill and fussy. Interior quality is very good but not excellent. There are some cheaper plastics and some areas have a little too much 'give' but then so did most of my Beemers.

Driving sensation is excellent in my opinion, again not up to perhaps some of the higher end competition in certain areas, but I would say compares very well overall - I would think with high confidence you will not be disappointed.

Tech is a little polarizing, it's amazing how quickly we get used to new tech then become jaded to be very critical, perhaps like WiFi on a plane! Autopilot (I do not have FSD) is a great example of this, it is very good compared to anything prior to it (and anything currently on the market that I have driven) but is not perfect. For me, it works very well and introduces a lot of very nice touches that haven't existed before, truly keyless entry, all of the app/remote functions, Sentry or something as simple as opening garage door upon arrival, easily customizable streaming and such before you get into the less useful games and such.

The biggest benefit of course which is I feel the item that gets most overlooked is that fact that it is electric - you are not driving around spewing poison into the air and supporting a profit driven industry that is simultaneously bleeding economies and destroying our children's environment. Every day you wake up with a full tank of petrol (you won't realize how much you hate the cost and time of filling up until you don't) and do so at a small fraction of the cost (although hard to rationalize the economics of the car cost today in terms of fuel savings). For longer trips which will be single digit % use case for 80% buyers is very quickly becoming a non issue with the Supercharger network.

Just one man's opinion here and I am now a full electric convert and advocate.

Reactions: Adopado and Fraank
Driving since 1965. Best car ever. I have ridden motor bikes in my youth and these are a good comparison in thrill and acceleration.
Gripes: Tinny sounding boot. No hatchback. No HUD. No Android Auto but Tesla's effort is very good. Could do with better charging timers. Autopilot is irrelevant because you don't buy a car like that to let it drive itself.
Good points : Fantastic technology, performance, silence, superchargers, comfort, maps, entertainment.
Would I buy another. Yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: pkitch