Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone else’s FSD Beta vehicle trying to install 2021.40.6?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be careful about making too many assumptions based solely on that chart.

My guess, and it is totally a guess, is that if you still have the request for FSD Beta active (i.e., it says so on your car's center display screen--the place where you request FSD Beta--and you still have the safety score thing going in the App), then you are still in the queue and may get an FSD Beta download at any time; or not. Sorry. It's a waiting game. Say you are going to get it. Whether you will get FSD Beta v10.5, or whether Tesla will wait to give you v.10.6 (coming soon), I don't know.

But I got FSD Beta v.10.3.1 (2021.36.5.3) on November 3rd unexpectedly (9 days after it was first released), and then got v10.4 (2021.36.8.5) just four days later around the normally-scheduled release date. So if my experience is any indication, once the decision (human or computer?) to put you into the FSD Beta testing track is made, it can be implemented on or in between normally-scheduled update release dates.

Check out this (2021.36.8.8 Update History) to see that people in the USA are still (slowly) getting 2021.36.8.8 (w/v10.5) as we speak, even though it was first released on November 21st. (They are probably people like you--folks who finally achieved an adequate score for X days.) At the same time, there are lots more people worldwide (including the U.S.) getting 2021.40.6 (2021.40.6 Update History), like you did already. Teslascope identifies that activity as an active rollout.

Just a reminder that those update lists are based on a sample--a list of people (a relatively small subset of all Tesla owners) that subscribe to Teslascope.
I'll update the thread on what happens next. The rest trick will probably allow me to live with this perfect score for a while, otherwise it's impossible in this city. You have to either "unsafe follow" or "aggressively brake" when someone cuts you off

It was for you. Interesting that the safety score is there but it gave you a much newer software than what you were on. I wonder if you fell into the group of FSD beta approvals that incorrectly got pushed 2021.40.6. As you see, there are several people here with that issue.

I'll update the thread on what happens next. The rest trick will probably allow me to live with this perfect score for a while, otherwise it's impossible in this city. You have to either "unsafe follow" or "aggressively brake" when someone cuts you off

I had a heck of a time raising my score, and I’m just in little Davis, CA.

Regarding 2021.40.6.
Back in October my 9/9/21 build Plaid went into the service center because of an intermittent issue with the screens going black…
At that time I was told that there was a fix for it because it was a firmware issue and it would be in .40
Here are links to the thread and my post regarding my SC visit. And so it wouldn’t surprise me if they really needed to push that out to get rid of this issue because it could cause safety related problems if it happened at the wrong time…

Had my plaid in for service today…
Confirmed it’s a Firmware issue.
As I recall he said that it would be fixed in 2021.40…
Not able to force it at this time nor was he able to tell me when I was likely to get it.

Invoice Details:

Concern: Customer: Screens going black. Forcing me to use the gear shift buttons below the wireless charger to put the car in forward & reverse. Please check and advise. (@8:44AM. (10/17/21) Screen started off black then came on and then turned black again when I touch the garage door opener button. )
Performed manual log review during customer time stamps, Found the vehicle is experiencing a known firmware bug that is currently under investigation and will be fixed in a future firmware release. Please perform a scroll wheel reset when the issue occurs to mitigate this behavior until the fix is implemented
Correction: Remote – Known Characteristic of Current Firmware

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
I’ve been stuck on Beta 10.4 for weeks. Service says they can’t do anything, only engineering can. I emailed the fsd team and asked them if they can push an update and, if not, remove me. 10.4 is the worst, I’d rather have the production version at this point.

Different situation, but: I've had 100+ miles with a score of 100 since November 28, and still no FSD update. It occurred to me 2 days ago that maybe I need to connect to WiFi to even get the update notification (I usually get it on LTE but have to connect to WiFi to download it). So I did that, and got updated to 2021.40.6. Does this mean no chance for FSD beta till 10.6 or whatever?

Unfortunately typo above, or prescient? I had been stuck on 2021.40.5 (not .6) for 17 days (at 100 score and many miles), waiting and thinking that 10.8 might be my ticket to FSD. I finally got an update notification today and I check, and it's the actual 2021.40.6!! As I understand, that likely would put me ahead of the latest FSD Beta again.

I did not connect to WiFi to download this update. Does anyone think that would make a difference and is there a point to avoiding the download in hope of getting FSD Beta?

I think they are moving all the Beta waitlist to latest version so we have all the new updates while we wait.

There are lots of upgrades from beta versions. I just got it as well and installling it now.
I worry that it may not work like that. Software versioning often follows a pattern where 2021.44.6 implies a newer based on top of which 2021.44.5.5 (FSD v10.7) cannot be applied. That's why I thought maybe staying on 2021.44.5 would be better, though I'm not sure if it matters given that my car has already received the notification to download.

Safety score is still running and still opted in beta after the update, so pretty sure they are just moving everyone from the really old 36.5.1
Yup, that's been the case for me for 4 weeks now. The problem is that regardless of their intentions, if the versions properly reflect the branching of code, the latest (not really released) FSD Beta is behind this new 2021.44.6 update, and it may not be technically possible to transition people to it.