TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is Anyone Else Having Voice Command Issues on the Model 3?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Newbie2EV, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Newbie2EV

Newbie2EV Member

Since 2019.40.50.1 and the 'improved' voice commands, my Model 3 Long Range has been dreadful. I'm now on version 2019.40.50.7 and there is no improvement.

Examples:
    1. I can no longer voice activate Spotify songs
    2. The microphone often appears not to hear at all and then the screen lists possible commands - none of which work
    3. Cannot activate heating system
    4. Can't tell the M3 where to go for navigation
    5. Won't find restuarants etc on general questons
    6. Often when the mic picks up voice it will say the command isn't recognised
    It's since version 50.1 when the voice software revision was touted. 50.5 offered no improvement.

On the plus side, it always seems to open the glove box when asked :D

2. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

Yes, there’s a few threads and YouTube about it. Suggestion is it’s affected by connectivity (NB, number of bars on LTE/3G != connectivity status, only how strong the signal to the nearest mast is) and server load back at base.

3. Dadawinsk

Dadawinsk Member

I have exactly the same issues. It started going wrong in 2019.40.50.1, now at 2019.40.50.7 voice is almost unusable. I have tried speaking slowly and clearly, sometimes this works and it 'hears me' but even then if it does correctly put the text on the screen it still then responds with "command not understood" . Voice has now become unusable. Besides that it is a fantastic car.

4. Newbie2EV

Newbie2EV Member

I work in IT for an ISP that also does could hosting, and I think this is untrue online conjecture, but still a reasonable guess by the online community. The software itself is the issue. Voice packets will reach the server and they are minimal in size. We're talking kb of data in a queue, travelling by UDP for reformation at the cloud / hosted level of the service, which is nothing in terms of capacity. Even on LTE, in every location I visit, the same issues persist for specific commands, so it isn't cellular base station capacity at its limit either.

Servers won't be overloaded, and nor will the connectivity running into them be at capacity in the data centres. No company does that, let alone companies like Tesla who are clearly plugged into several cloud hosted services just for the mapping and naviation alone. Data centre overheads are usually 30-60% capacity as an absolute maximum for traffic running over the services.

This is a software flub; most definately not a capacity issue. Fingers crossed for a software coder to come up with the goods!

5. Martinb999

Martinb999 Member

Since the update nothing works for me on voice command except open the glovebox........... sadly.......

6. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

careful, you never know who the online community is...

• Like x 1
  7. Newbie2EV

Newbie2EV Member

No arguments with the quality of the rest of the car; I totally agree. I think it'll be fixed in an update and we just need to wait for it. It is how it is, and nothing any of us can do until the release is pushed out.

The car is still streets ahead of anything else, and even without voice commands I'd be happy with it. Not excusing Tesla for a coding flub, but it is what it is and we just need to wait on the update I guess. Glad I'm not the only one! :D

8. Jason71

Jason71 Active Member

The double edged sword of agile development and easy OTA updates. if you know it's easy to update and not critical then you don't need to test it properly since the users will do it for you and in much more depth than testers ever could.

9. Strategium

Strategium Member

I agree voice command functionality is still very limited and inconsistent for me, even after the 2019.40.50.7 update. However, I am now finding some commands do work consistently, (apart from 'open glovebox', which always seemed to work!), including 'fold / unfold wing mirrors' , 'heat driver seat' , 'lower seat heating', 'set windscreen wipers to 1/2/auto etc'. all of which are useful. The 'show rear camera' command has never yet worked for me, which is one I would like to be able to use.
    I am looking forward to this being fixed soon with a new software update as the voice commands are a real advantage in letting you access controls when driving without taking your eyes off the road to mess about with the touchscreen.

10. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Member

Well you have make an effort activate the voice commands anyway..

If they would implement a 'hey tesla' thing it'd be much more useful.

11. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

On latest software, doesn't work 90% of the time, doesn't even recognise anything being said most of the time.

12. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

It's just that doing it that way introduces another opportunity for the car to misunderstand... I think on balance I would prefer to stick with clicking the steering wheel button!

• Like x 1
  13. SABT

SABT New Member

Phew . . . . . I think I'm relieved that everyone appears to be having problems! I picked up my first Tesla (Model 3 LR) 3 days ago - the voice commands simply don't work at all. I was about to report it as I figured that there must be a fault with my particular car - I didn't think that any voice-command software could be so bad in 2020.

• Funny x 1
  14. Raabatini

Raabatini Member

15. Roy W.

Roy W. Battery running low...

I’m on .7, but I can’t say I’ve noticed much difference. They seem to work some of the time and not work other times!

I’m sure they’ll be quite useful once they work reliably.

16. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

This kind of "real speech" recognition has only been introduced fairly recently so we are all hoping that it will be significantly improved in the not too distant future! The software updates are quite frequent and genuinely do introduce and refine the features of the car over time ... don't give up hope yet!

17. bangtidy

bangtidy Member

Does anyone know what the voice command is to turn the heating on and off? ie. not change the setting, just simply enable or disable it

18. davidmc

davidmc Active Member

I think i used "Im Cold" and it turned on and "Im Warm" turned it off. Will double check for you later

19. Roy W.

Roy W. Battery running low...

I’ve not tried it myself, but I’d guess “Climate Control on” or off would work.

• Like x 1
  20. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Based upon recent update schedule, we are due a new version anytime soon. Wouldn't surprise me if we start limited numbers of 2019.44.x starting to roll tonight or next. Then maybe more global early next week. But it wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong too.

• Funny x 2