Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Anyone Else Having Voice Command Issues on the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being aware of the limitations it seems to have, I at least know that I can turn the air conditioning on by voice. So actually made use of the voice stuff in a real situation today rather than sitting on my driveway talking at it.

8/10 times it doesn't hear anything, the other 2 times its like the video above!

Basic ones like open glove box work when it hears me but if I have to waste my time doing it 3 times for it to actually hear me it becomes a waste of time whenI can do it quicker on screen, the tech is only worth it if it saves time overall.

Still not been able to call anyone from my phone book for months, so until I hear it working for all I will save my breath and use Siri

Still dire for me too. I can just about get some music searches to work, the odd 'phone call and a couple of the car function commands, but it's all a bit hit and miss. I'm at the point where it's too distracting and potentially dangerous to keep trying so I've pretty much given up until they fix it.

This aspect of the car is frustrating to be fair and the bit my mates all pick on as it's the only thing that's better in their cars!

I could be talked into it being some kind of communication or server issue. Is this issue effecting cars worldwide?

Since the extended voice commands were added, I have had some days when they seem to work pretty well and responsively, but other times pretty much no response.

I have also noticed Theatre Mode Unavailable messages when I try to access any of the services that route through the Netherlands / Tesla Europe. Odd thing is that using a WiFi hot-spot makes no difference and I get same message, so I guess the car (sensibly) uses a proxy / vpn connection even through your own isp.

Probably not related, but they do seem to happen at the same time in my experience so far.

Last edited:
Funny really, in the Tesla I am shouting, articulating, repeating and changing the command phrase in order to get even a wrong response. Yet in the home I just cant stop my Amazon Echo (Alexa) and Apple (Siri) from responding.. They just want to chat with me or anybody that I am talking with on hands free or Skype. They understand everything 100% and never get it wrong. Their AI must be way more advanced than that of Tesla when it comes to voice recognition. Cant help but feel that Tesla has a long way to go yet. :cool:

• Love
Reactions: Rooster6655
I
Funny really, in the Tesla I am shouting, articulating, repeating and changing the command phrase in order to get even a wrong response. Yet in the home I just cant stop my Amazon Echo (Alexa) and Apple (Siri) from responding.. They just want to chat with me or anybody that I am talking with on hands free or Skype. They understand everything 100% and never get it wrong. Their AI must be way more advanced than that of Tesla when it comes to voice recognition. Cant help but feel that Tesla has a long way to go yet. :cool:
I was just deciding that Tesla had bought a speech recognition package deal from a 3rd party supplier and kept overshooting the number of words recognised covered by their subscription. When it decides to work, it seems pretty good, correctly identifying at least 99% of the unimplemented commands that it managed to recognise quickly and accurately.

I

I was just deciding that Tesla had bought a speech recognition package deal from a 3rd party supplier and kept overshooting the number of words recognised covered by their subscription. When it decides to work, it seems pretty good, correctly identifying at least 99% of the unimplemented commands that it managed to recognise quickly and accurately.
If it were good I'd use it - I hardly ever use it

Took 3 or 4 attempts to get it to lower the cabin temperature while driving earlier. I used the "I'm hot" voice command which it heard as "I'm home" the first time, then "I'm ho" the second. Then the button to do voice commands didn't respond and finally when it did again it heard me correctly.