Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone else mad?? How to get Tesla to listen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The AP that’s standard is a shell of the AP that was offered as an option in June 2018.
So it's ok that you're asking for free stuff because it is less valuable?

If it’s now standard then imo all cars should have it. That’s the allure of buying a Tesla you’re car doesn’t get old so to speak.
Except that this wasn't an update. It an option that they previously charged for that is now being included for free. You're saying that I can go back to Microsoft and get the newest version of some software package for free since it has stuff in it that everyone who buys it now gets with it, that I didn't when I bought it.

Especially when Tesla touts this as a safety benefit.
They've always said that, just like they've always charged extra for it. Now, because new orders get it for free, you want it for free? You know that's not how the world works right?

Your whole argument comes down to "Billy got a better toy with his happy meal and I want it to".

Reactions: doghousePVD
You do realize they're trying to do all they can just to survive, right? They ran out of people who wanted to buy the car at the prices we paid so they're trying to play with prices to encourage additional sales. They literally can NOT afford to be giving us refunds. Who the hell does that when they lower prices anyway?! Shall I call Apple and demand $400 because iPhone X is now cheaper?

Your whole argument is utterly, complete, insanely absurd to me. Would you prefer Tesla to go out of business?

I’m not referring to the original AP that was initially offered. I’m referring to the stripped down version AP that comes standard today.

In regards to the 3750 difference in tax credits. The current model pricing and 3750 tax credit, total cost is still less to a buyer today.

the tax credit amount is a moot issue. That is something that should be brought up with your elected officials.
Sorry fella, the following video says it all for me.

The AP that’s standard is a shell of the AP that was offered as an option in June 2018. From what I can gather the current AP is close to an enhanced cruise control that many legacy car makers offer. Keeps the car in your lane and keeps pace with traffic in front. No lane changing or navigate on AP.

I don't think you have been paying attention. Automatic Lane Change and Navigate on Autopilot were not available a year ago. The standard AP now is roughly the same features as EAP was last year at this time except for the ability to manually initiate a lane change and basic summon. But the AP now has much more refined Lane Keep and TACC.

Reactions: Sherlo
I am from Connecticut and I stood in line at Dedham MA for more than half a day to secure my deposit...

My opinion appears to be the opposite of the OP. I took delivery in June 2018 and I am very happy with Tesla, the car and with only getting over the air software updates. Yes, the same car is cheaper now and will continue to get cheaper over time. However, in my opinion, having the car for the past 11 months and 17,000 miles is worth the now extra several thousands of dollars. You can not take the smile off my face that I get every time I drive the car. If you do not like the car or the company, go find a better one (if you do let me know since something better than the Tesla would be out of this world).

Reactions: doghousePVD
View attachment 413249
I am in the group that paid peak retail for no AP LR RWD too (In fact, we got two - his and hers.) I don't feel overlooked at all. Let's look at the facts:
  • When I ordered, EAP was a $5k option and FSD $3k for a total of $8k at purchase. The order page informed me that I would be able to get those options after purchase for $6k and $4k respectively for a total of $10k. I made the decision not to buy these options at purchase based on that information, thinking (mistakenly) that at anytime for the life of the car I could purchase at the $10k price.
  • Shortly after, the post-purchase price for AP/FSD went up, giving me a tinge of regret.
  • We then each had the 30 day trial with the option to purchase EAP for $5.5k, which we also declined.
  • I lost track of all of the variations in between, but as others have stated, we had the opportunity at one point to buy AP for $2k and FSD for $3k. This was $3k less than the at-purchase option and half the cost of the $10k I originally expected. (Still I didn't buy it - used the event to justify buying wider, lighter wheels, 200 treadwear tires and a BBK.) My wife did take advantage of the $2k AP on her car as she likes the TACC.
  • As of today, if I decided to add the option, I could get AP for $3k and FSD for $6k, which is still $1k less than what I was told it would cost to add it when I ordered.
Seems to me, I'm in a better position and Tesla has exceeded my expectations.

Oh, but I still have a complaint - Why can't an appropriate version of Track Mode be made available for non-P cars? I'd gladly pay up to have it as an option!
I think it would be helpful if everyone tried to include date when you purchased your car (ordered/delivered)- It would be helpful for those of us still trying to figure this out. I ordered in Nov 2018 and it was delivered in dec 2018. I purchased EAP, I never saw or was informed of FSD but now on my configuration page I can buy for $6k. I just don't understand this. I never received notice that this was even part of things and as for paying $5k (originally) or $6k now on top of the $5k I paid for EAP it seems like a gouge. You would think for the small amount of cars in this conundrum Tesla would try and take good care of us for a couple of reasons. First and foremost Good Will, second would be all the data they would get from my car. I am not complaining. It's funny to have FOMO on something no one has but I'm not pay $6k for FSD, I'll just buy a FSD mY :)

Reactions: Sherlo
I ordered in Nov 2018 and it was delivered in dec 2018. I purchased EAP, I never saw or was informed of FSD but now on my configuration page I can buy for $6k. I just don't understand this. I never received notice that this was even part of things and as for paying $5k (originally) or $6k now on top of the $5k I paid for EAP it seems like a gouge. You would think for the small amount of cars in this conundrum Tesla would try and take good care of us for a couple of reasons. First and foremost Good Will, second would be all the data they would get from my car. Maybe offer for $1k if you already paid for EAP. I am not complaining. It's funny to have FOMO on something no one has but I'm not going to pay $6k for FSD, I'll just buy a FSD mY :)

I purchased my Model 3LR w/o EAP on July 1, 2018. I've been very happy with it. I originally felt that the $4k for EAP was too much. The only thing I wanted was TACC (my 2010 E550 has it, although MBZ calls it Distronic) and did mention to them that I would pay a much reduced price for that but that I didn't need (nor want) the car to drive itself (partly because I don't trust a car driving by itself and partly because I enjoy driving cars that are fast and handle well). Low and behold, a few months later they started offering AP (TACC and autosteer) for $2k (FSD was also offered for $3k more). Since I was going to take a long trip (SF to Vancouver, WA) soon I decided that $2k was reasonable for the AP (it did work wonderfully). I still didn't pay the extra $3k for FSD since the only aspect I would utilize from FSD would be summon (for tight spaces), I felt $3k was not a good use of my money. Now the car is cheaper and AP is included. It doesn't make me feel good, but I've been driving the car for almost a year and been very pleased with it (I have since sold the MBZ). But like everything you purchase, you only buy it if, at the time, you feel the value of the car to you is worth the amount of money you're paying. If it goes down (or up) it really doesn't effect your life. Think of computers, the minute you buy it there's another one with a larger hard drive or a better screen, or whatever. After whatever return policy passes you're stuck. Same thing with the Tesla. It's just like buying a scalped ticket to a concert or sporting event. You give the guy your money for the ticket, if another guy comes along with a better seat or a cheaper price, the 1st guy isn't going to give you your money back. For anyone to expect different is a "me 1st" kind of person, someone you really don't want to hang out with. If Tesla offers you anything, you should be thankful because they are under NO obligation to do so. But to take it and ask for more and still complain about it is moronic and self absorbed. Not that Tesla offered anything to anyone to compensate. I'm just making a point as to how Poorly some people are brought up now. Lastly, just think how much your last ICE vehicle dropped in value right after you drove off the lot, did you turn around and ask for some of that money back? Why is this different (especially after months have passed by)?

The only thing I wanted was TACC

I was in the same boat: in Nov 2018 I wanted the car for the excellent driving dynamics and didn't care much for EAP. However, the thought that my $66.5K car will not be as relaxing on longer trips as modern cars many times cheaper, and of course FOMO, forced me to add the $5K EAP option. I'd have been very happy to pay $2K for what later became basic AP. I thought that EAP-or-nothing was a bad choice to win owners' trust and loyalty for Tesla. And because of that I will be more reluctant to bring more of my money to Tesla in the future. Tesla would erase the bad taste if they offer me to downgrade EAP->AP refunding $3K, or, perhaps, if they upgrade EAP->FSD for free so I have a fancier toy to play with.

I do use AP infrequently. A part of my use cases is because of poor phone integration and limited phone mounting options ... but this is a topic for another thread.

Reactions: scottish9000
So yeah your request for Tesla to suddenly give away AP to everyone is ridiculous. Every car manufacture adds options and changes prices. Do they go back and give refunds? No. It’s a business. That’s your chosen fate as an early adopter. Congrats. Glad you like your car.

I bought a brand new SRT grand Cherokee several years ago... now they have a trackhawk with a supercharger, the base mode is cheaper than I paid and has more standard features? Where’s my refund?

I never knew that these post-sale entitlements were a thing. I’m gonna he rich with refunds!

Some people are just insane, or insanely self-entitled and selective with their outrage, I suppose.

I got my Model 3 so early that it didn't even have Wi-Fi . All you latecomers are so lucky! ;)

Or an FM radio ...

Or scheduled charging ...

Or scroll-wheel adjustment of AP speed and following distance ...

Or rear-seat heating ...

Or an energy graph app ...

Or calendar integration ...

Or summon ...

Or software update from phone app ...

Or a lot of other stuff.

Our VIN 002xxx was pretty bare-bones when we received it in Dec, 2017. But still an amazing car. And, it's only gotten better since!