Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone else planning around the Tesla III release?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm expecting something with some similarity to a Model S, but a little stubbier, which is fine with me. As long as it has decent (200-250 mi) range, decent performance (6-7 sec 0-60) and a somewhat attainable price ($35-45k) I'm good with that. I'm all for higher-performance, and more adventurous variants, but they can wait.
Yes, this is exactly what I'm after as well.

I think there are more than a few reasons to play it safe on the Model 3. Look at what the best-selling cars are: Camry, Accord, Altima, etc. None of them are exactly what you'd call "radical." Granted, I know the M3 won't sell in the same volumes as those models, at least initially, but if Tesla's serious about the Model 3 being a "mainstream" car, it has to have broad appeal. By that, I don't mean that it has to look like a CamCord clone, but it probably shouldn't look like an i3 (although puzzlingly, I'm seeing a LOT of those lately). .......

IMO, the looks of the i3 are as radical as the Leaf , maybe even more so. It must be the message the owners are trying to send.
My wife couldn't wait for the TESLA 3 , so she opted for the FIAT 500e ... fun to drive, looks like the other 500s and sure, it still turns a few heads but only because it's a neat little car.
When the TESLA 3 is released we certainly will look at that as a second car.

magic definitely waiting on the 3. I'm curious about the Leaf too (obviously a completely different experience, but currently cheaper). Aus Nis San messed up the launch for the Leaf here though, so we're still getting 2012 model cars here. So I could get one of those (currently 0% finance), or be patient and save for the new wave coming in the next few years. Hard to be patient while I'm still driving an ICE though! I just want to be driving the future already :)

Assuming a stable job in the future, my next car will be the model 3 barring it being totally not what I expect it to be. Have a Prius right now so I won't be realizing as much gas savings as others (thankfully it is paid off though), but after test driving a Model S I'm hooked. Granted it won't be as fast as the Model S but I'm sure it will be fun to drive

we went for our first test drive in a regular S85 and really loved it.
But we both realized that it is a much bigger car than we want or need.
After driving electric for a year already, we are going to hold onto the paid off car until the M3 launches and be on the list as soon as it opens.
So the downpayment on the MS is now our start for the "purchase the M3" fund :)

My Leaf lease ended this week, and I turned it in and will not be getting another car any time soon. I will bike to work for the next 2-3 years. It's 6 miles each way and it rains a LOT here in the PNW, but I'm absolutely committed. I have a couple of restaurants and a grocery store in easy walking distance, and can catch the bus downtown if I need to. I also rented out the 2nd bedroom in my condo. Assuming my renter stays put and I don't get laid off from my job, I will have a very large down payment on the M3 to make the monthly payments doable for me. in fact, if I can hold out for 4 years I could pay cash! In the sad event I lose my job, I'm prepared to sell my condo and relocate to a larger city for work, which could be a blessing in disguise since the capital gain could get me closer to $35k with the added benefit of possibly finding a more EV friendly living arrangement.

To those who wait, please realize the list for the model 3 will likely prioritize current Model S and X owners. I will be on that wait list.
Do you have any info that leads you to that theory? If Tesla is aiming for a more affordable market segment with the Model 3 why would they give preference to their existing full-size luxury vehicle owners?

Yeah, I am mixed on this. Part of me really wants a Sig Model 3, part of me feels that would be a smart way for them to debug the new line (we know what it is like to drive an EV, we work with service, we won't play stupid lemon law games to discredit them., we are happy to leave a large deposit with them to cover capital startup on a high margin car...) and part of me really wants them to open up EV options for everyone in a more even-handed way.
What do you all think would be fair though? I don't think it should work like concert tickets where people can scalp just because their internet provider had a faster link to the website when reservations opened up.
Maybe a modified system where current owners will get a chance at first thousand cars, then stock holders, then general public, then repeat?

Historically Tesla has offered first dibs on new models to existing cars owners. We hope they don't do this for Model 3 but given their timeframe for the Gigafactory and ramp up I'm expecting they'll do the same again.

I know they tried this early on with the Model S, but then dropped it later. But then I didn't think they did this at all with the Model X, did they?

To those who wait, please realize the list for the model 3 will likely prioritize current Model S and X owners. I will be on that wait list.

That would be contrary to what Elon is trying to do. Build a car that is more affordable. Prioritizing for current Model S and X owners would be a terrible thing to do.
The buzz and excitement of the first day when Tesla will accept orders for the Model 3 will be awesome and is exactly what Tesla wants. Attract a whole new set of buyers.

The "It won't look like other cars" comment scared me. I pray that they look at what's worked and stick with that formula. I think they could be very successful with a scaled down version of the Model S. It's looks are almost always praised. And that philosophy has worked well for years for BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, Audi, more recently, Jaguar. Personally, considering that there are no truly good looking electric cars out there (other than the Model S), I hope they do something along the lines of the Model S, but maybe with just a little more sportiness to appeal to a younger crowd. Therefore, the Model S can be for the big boys and the Model 3 for everyone, including the younger generation. For some reason, all these car companies make their electric cars look so damn goofy that that alone turns off most buyers. Some would likely consider electric cars, but wouldn't be caught dead in one of the hideous looking EV's out there. I was one of them until the Volt came out. Was finally a car that just looked like a car and didn't scream EV. The Model S was the next to do this. It's not a coincidence that my first EV was the Volt and the second a Model S.

They should offer different variants as well. A Base model, an upgraded base model with more horsepower and of course a full performance model capable of beating an M3. Would be nice if the size was somewhere in between a 3 series and 5 series BMW. The Model S is larger than most mid-size cars (5 series BMW, E-Class Mercedes, etc.) but smaller than the 7 Series, S Class, etc, thus fits well into buyers considering either one. Thus a Model 3 larger than a 3 series or C class but smaller than the 5 series, E-Class, Jag XF, etc would be a perfect size.

Must haves....Supercharging capability with a 225 mile rated range to safely get between Superchargers.

That's my two-cents!

Last edited: