Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone else planning around the Tesla III release?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm paying $84 on a gas smart lease until the end of this year or so, and I have an electric smart lease from next month till 2018 for $139 a month. Still will have car payments until then, but with how low the payments are I couldn't care less.

I have an electric smart lease from next month till 2018 for $139 a month. Still will have car payments until then, but with how low the payments are I couldn't care less.

You'll love the Smart ED. Driving a short range EV just makes it harder to not want to step right into a Tesla tho! I'll be keeping my Smart for the long haul as my "commute appliance", no matter what happens in the market, mostly because it keeps me out of trouble, it's just fast enough to blast by practically anything off a stop light, but not fast enough to get into trouble in the city.

I wonder if we could get a poll together of people that would actually purchase the Model III. My current car will be paid off within 1.5 years and I won't buy another car that isn't a Tesla or BEV. The Model III seems to be within my price range considering I am still in my early 20s.

Yes, he backed away from that, saying the Model 3 will initially be a "less adventurous" variant.
Based upon the roll out of the MS, I can't really fathom that the Model III will be unadventurous. Franz has indicated that he won't hold back on design. The first releases of the MS were a performance-oriented "signature series" with the largest battery pack and it required air suspension. TM sold the most expensive cars first, probably to enhance the 'bottom line.' Anyone who watches the TSLA stock will be similarly interested in those numbers when the Model III is introduced.

As an early adopter (deposit Oct '09), I fully expect that the first Model IIIs released will be another limited edition "signature series" that will likely include dual motors, the largest battery, a number of stunning paint options, a wide variety of interior upgrades, awesome looking wheel options, great sound system options, and 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. The IIIP100D, or whatever its called, will be a high dollar vehicle that will allow TM to more quickly recoup development costs just like they did when the MS first appeared in June/July of 2012.

When the demand for the expensively equipped Model IIIs begins to wane, I'd expect the $35K models to be delivered (think late 2018). I would also anticipate that their existing customer base will be given the first chance to purchase the Model III, probably because TM values customer loyalty, but mostly because they will have fewer financial concerns about customers whom they already know.

Well, at least we can say it's going to be a conventional car, and I would hazard a guess that the first version will be a four-door hatchback... think Mazda 5 or the European Honda Civic. here is what he said on February 8th regarding whether or not the Model 3 will blow us away with adventurous new design features -

As an example for the Model X, we did the falcon wing doors, which were extremely difficult. The second row seats are sculptural beauty, they’re the best-looking second row seats you’ve seen in any car, ever. And there were some other things about the X that people don’t know about yet, but those weren’t driving [the] schedule… the X doors and seats [caused the delays]. So then, going to the Model 3, we [don't] wanna have, particularly at super-high volume, that for this [exotic] feature we lose a year of production. It makes more sense to just go with something people are gonna love, that would be incredibly beautiful and functional and an amazing car, and then innovate in more avant-garde directions on that platform with future iterations where we can then put aside any schedule and volume concerns.

Roadster, 2-door, fastback, CUV, convertible 4-seat etc. afterwards. Basic sedan/saloon car first.

Well, at least we can say it's going to be a conventional car, and I would hazard a guess that the first version will be a four-door hatchback... think Mazda 5 or the European Honda Civic. here is what he said on February 8th regarding whether or not the Model 3 will blow us away with adventurous new design features -

Roadster, 2-door, fastback, CUV, convertible 4-seat etc. afterwards. Basic sedan/saloon car first.

I would assume the sedan would be first for USDM followed shortly by a potential hatch.

I drive a 2013 Acura, so I'm not particularly worried about the demand of the model three, because those Honda J series engines last a really long time.

Doesn't mean I'm not ecstatic at the prospect of getting one.

Yes, I am planning around the Tesla III release. I am planning on leasing a 2016 Volt when they are FINALLY released that HOPEFULLY will tide me over until the Tesla III is released. Then I will be buying the III. I wish I could afford the 70D, but it is just out of my reach.

I would assume the sedan would be first for USDM followed shortly by a potential hatch.

I drive a 2013 Acura, so I'm not particularly worried about the demand of the model three, because those Honda J series engines last a really long time.

I'm never quite sure what people envisage when they say sedan or hatchback, but the Model S is a hatchback and I expect the first version of the Model 3 to be one as well.

I believe it has to do with the rake, or angle of slope, for the rear panel or window pane.

• Liftback -- Tesla Model S, AUDI A7, Porsche Panamera, BMW 328i Gran Turismo...
• Hatchback -- Honda Fit, Volkswagen Golf, Subaru Impreza 5-door, BMW 328i Wagon...

Typically, vehicles with a 'fastback' profile will have liftbacks.

Okay, not really. You know what a hatch back is when you look at it.

It's just that I have a hard time seeing them come out with a "hatchback" version of something that already has a hatchback. Perhaps a wagon, but I bet they just have the normal version and then the CUV for people that want more storage. I don't think they'll ever release something with a trunk.

The only Tesla Motors vehicle I would expect to have a separate trunk (other than a convertible/cabriolet), without a liftback or hatchback, would be a Tesla Model L. I imagine it as a six passenger Pullman limousine class vehicle. The long wheelbase would allow for maximum comfort and convenience. It would have falcon wing doors at the rear compartment. With dual motor all wheel drive and a 220 kWh battery pack neither range nor performance would be lacking. Both the trunk and frunk would be cavernous. It would be forward thinking, and thus would forego opulance in favor of technical brilliance and ultimate efficiency.

I remember that Tesla was going to have both the sedan (liftback like Model S) and an SUV variant based on the Model 3 platform.

Like you, I drive a product with a Honda engine (Civic sedan which is entirely paid off), so I am not under any pressure to buy a new vehicle. When I buy a Tesla, it'll be a Model 3.