Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Anyone Else Tired Of Following Waaay Behind On PureVision Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know they did this (set the following distance to no Less than "3") on Autopilot to allow the system to feel out the real world with cameras only, but the following distance seems a bit too long and allows everyone and their brother to cut in front of you. The gap increases with speed as well.

Reactions: MKVTDI and DanCar

Thanks for the thumbs-up, DanCar!

Has no one else been bothered by the inordinately looong following distance? If enough people comment about it maybe Tesla will see this and expand the following distance selections back to the previous 7 (and I mean SEVEN) options?

It's driving me insane how far it is following from the car ahead, literally a football field length at 50mph+ on 3.

Furthermore, the vision has terrible eyesight. It's depth perception is horrible, always speeding along it starts to slow normally, then about 75-100ft away from the car ahead it will panic and jams on the brakes Out of habit when that occurs, I look into the rearview mirror expecting someone to rear-end me it is that bad! Most of the time, I turn the stupid ass autopilot off on this vision/camera only 2021 M3. It sucks unless there are clear and open roads.

It is also really inconsistent with pulling off the line when it goes green following a vehicle ahead. Sometimes out of nowhere it will accelerate fast and be close then all the sudden you can tell it almost lift off the accelerator to give way too much distance. Annoying, and people are always jumping in front of me on the road in heavier traffic because the amount of distance it gives is something nobody would ever have in front of them.

Or if you are speeding faster than traffic and there is a car ahead to your right/left and you have someone ahead of you, you have plenty of room with the Tesla's acceleration to speed up and move into the lane ahead of that car...but on Autopilot, it will never do that it is following so far behind. So I hit the pedal or take over entirely and speed up to get ahead and move over.

Rant over.....

Reactions: MKVTDI
Tesla most likely has data to see a distribution of follow distance settings to help prioritize how quickly to restore feature parity with pre-Tesla-Vision Autopilot. Production Tesla Vision is limited to 3+ while FSD Beta 9 has improved to 2+, so clearly Tesla knows about the limitation and is trying to remove it. Unclear why it hasn't made it to general release yet, but I would guess a lot of Autopilot focus is on FSD again now that there's a mostly-working Tesla Vision release in the wild.

Personally, we leave the distance setting on 7, and even then it seems to only be a 2-second follow distance, which at 60mph is not even half a football field and well short of the "3 second rule." This is quite peculiar as Tesla Insurance telemetry would seem to potentially increase premiums for following as close as Autopilot does:

Reactions: techlogik
I've kept my m3 back to 2020 sw version and its a radar car.

I set my following to 5 or even 7, sometimes! I like the extra cushion room. one of the reasons I got a tesla is to help me stop tailgating so much ;)

at least with my radar equipped 2020 sw-version car, the range seems useful and even still, I tend to pick the farthest I can get. it always surprises me it can 'see' that far and I've come to trust it more than my own eyesight, when it comes to 7 lengths ahead.

Reactions: techlogik
the "3 second rule."
I often wish there was a "15" option

Wow this makes me realize how differently people drive.

I was recently in a rental Youkon that showed how many seconds you were behind another car. It wouldn't even read >2.5 seconds, and at two seconds, everyone was amazed how far that distance actually was. At 60 MPH, 3 seconds is 264 feet, or 18 average car lengths. Most cars can stop from 60 MPH in about 120 feet, and the car in front of you cannot stop instantly, so it's not all that clear what you are using the extra 140 feet for, unless you are planning on about 2.5 seconds to react.

Anywhere I drive with any traffic, 264 feet of following distance is an invitation to allow 15 cars to get in front of you. If everyone in dense cities drove 264 feet apart, we'd need to double the number of lanes on the highway. My radar equipped cars are set at follow distance 2 in the city, 4 anywhere rural.

7 often seems way too close in light traffic; there isn't another car for a couple of miles and here we are 300 feet apart from each other for no good reason.
At some point the radar can't track another car this far away, especially around curves. Back when Tesla believed strongly in radar, they said it was good for 160m (528 feet) and that was in an optimal condition.

Plus, you don't close on the car if your speeds are set the same. So you want to be able to set your speed faster than the car in front of you, but then you're OK with the car just matching the speed of the car in front, while driving 600+ feet apart, and you want your car to slow down when their car does? If there's no cars for miles around and you don't care about your follow distance being anything reasonable, just reduce your speed by 1-2 MPH.

Reactions: MKVTDI