Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone else unhappy with the way this forum has been re-organized?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderating a forum is a thankless job. Take it from somebody who was one for a couple of years and then promoted to the admin team (forum.thinkpads.com). Obvious actions as putting somebody in timeout for a day or forever is easy as there are generally well-established rules for doing so. Merging / moving threads or censoring posts is usually left up to the whims of the moderator(s) and those rules can change from day-to-day and from person-to-person. Depending upon the forum software, these changes may or may not be publicly attributed to the particular mod that did them. Forum logs that are available only to the mods and admins should keep track of those actions (i.e., "who moderates to moderators").

Combining all threads which even peripherally references the software update into one master topic is the easy thing to do from the standpoint of work for the mod team. However, it makes it much more difficult for the forum user to find and then follow a particular issue that is important to them. About the only way to "have your cake and eat it too" is to duplicate some of the existing hierarchy of the sub-forums into something like this:
  • Model 3: Software 2019.40.50.xx
    • Driving Dynamics - Autopilot, AEB, TACC, FSD issues
    • Battery / Charging / Range - issues related to charging the car and range
    • User Interface - problems with screen, navigation, entry/exit, keys, etc.
    • Connectivity - WiFi, LTE, OTA update issues
    • New Features - options and features added from previous releases
  • Model 3: Software 2019.40.2.xx
    • Driving Dynamics
    • Battery / Charging / Range
    • User Interface
    • Connectivity
    • New Features
  • Model 3: Software 2019.40.1.xx
    • :
    • :
    • :
If this is too many sub-forums to support at the top of the page, then create a generic sub-forum called Software Changes and then put these sub-forums under that. The mods then can move the new thread to the appropriate sub-forum. If at first there is some doubt as to which software version is relevant, that can probably take care of itself by having regular users ask for that in the course of normal conversation.

Just my $0.02.
Creating more sub forums may improve following content but it will have precious little effect on reducing dupe threads. From my experience browsing forums of various sizes, the best answer for dupe threads is for the moderator to make one final post indicating the thread is a dupe and then lock it. Is this harder than combining threads?

For consistent repeat offenders, ban them for a periods of time depending how serious.

The number of repeat threads on TMC is the problem that needs to be solved. Combining them into big, unreadable globs is a poor solution IMO.

It's next to impossible to prevent (the start of) duplicate threads. Users may not search first when posting; I've been guilty of it too. Simply telling them to "search for it" doesn't work all the time as most forum search engines aren't up to the task or have a convoluted search syntax. It's why I usually rely on Google to do it:

site:teslamotorsclub.com <multiple, relevant search terms>

Agree with locking duplicate threads, although when I would do it I'd generally include a link to the thread where they'll hopefully find their answer(s). It's a little bit more work for the mod than just combining threads or locking without comments. Combining multiple conversations into one ginormous thread doesn't really benefit anyone. Not to mention that some people who return to the forum will be surprised (alarmed? upset?) that their thread has "disappeared". Also, staring at a topic header that has 60 pages and 1,190 replies would scare most users away from clicking on it. It might drive them to using the search function, but the path of least resistance, and human nature, says they start another thread.

Not sure that banning people for repeatedly posting duplicate threads is the answer. Most users would react negatively for such an action (e.g. "what a bunch of stuck-up people") and leave permanently. However, if that's what the forum mods/admins really want, then that's up to them to decide.

db711208.gif
Love it, I remember when that strip was new. Long time fan as one might guess from my avatar.