Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone getting a base model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with you, Xaff, but what scares me with cars is that they're the worst investment ever. (With the exception of certain models of old-timers)

Worst investment meaning they de-value faster than any other type of investment, with or without options. So I'm thinking maybe getting a badly equipped 40K model 3 in 2018, selling that in 2023 and getting a newer, better model 3 for 40K again (in 2023) is way better in the long run than purchasing one top of the line model 3 for about 65K and holding on to it for 10 years.

As you can tell: I'm still very much in doubt. Re-sale value of the options is very limited, from what I've experienced.

• Informative
Reactions: Weezer Fan
If the performance of AWD is only a few tenths faster to 60 than I would not splurge $3-5k on it. Judging by the S, that seems like it would be the case. The extra 10-20 miles of range it apparently provides is also not worth it IMO.

I might just do pano roof and AP and know that will keep me around the $3-4k mark. Other than that, I am sticking with the base model.

The only other part that is concerning is how long I might have to wait after the car is released...as someone who pre-ordered before any online orders, I would be very mad if i was in the back half of 400,000 just because I want a $35k car. I supported the movement before I even knew what it looked like, I would hope they mix in some base model cars to the earlier batches.

Do you think I would get significantly bumped on the wait list to where credits are no longer available? I wasn't relying on the tax circumstance, but I would say it encouraged me to put the refundable deposit down in store before online orders were available. I knew the timelines for the credits.
I think you should assume that you will not get the tax credit but be very happy to be wrong

.as someone who pre-ordered before any online orders, I would be very mad if i was in the back half of 400,000 just because I want a $35k car.
Musk has already said that highly optioned cars will tend to be produced sooner.

I'm in your boat too --- relatively close to a base car.

Last edited:
Base plus power windows maybe power locks ?

Are power windows really safe yet ? IE if you end up in water (going into a pond etc.) how would you get out of your car ?
I know you are suppose to carry a small hammer to break the window but the wife cleans out the glove compartment when we get the car serviced.

Is the autopilot smart enough to avoid water at all costs if you have power windows ?

/snark

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteFang
I am looking at it this way when it comes to production order. How are they going to know who wants a base car and who wants a maxed out car until they open the design studio to a region? Thus, I can't see them pushing a base car completely to the end of the production line worldwide. I can see them opening up the design studio to, let's say the Southeast (can you guess where I live?) and everyone puts together their orders from that area. Some base models...some maxed out. Then I can see them producing the maxed out orders first over the base models from that region. Could be totally off on this of course...just my thoughts.

Dan

Reactions: TrickyDimitri
I'll be getting a base model. I might add an accessory hitch if it's around $200. I would also like to get supercharging if it's either pay-as-you-go or $1000 or less up-front cost. This car will mostly be for my 22 mile round-trip to/from work and for running errands on nights and weekends. But I'd also like to take an occasional trip in it, hence the desire for supercharging. I know the superchargers will be closer together by that time, so I think the 215 (or whatever by the time it's released) base range will be fine.

I am looking at it this way when it comes to production order. How are they going to know who wants a base car and who wants a maxed out car until they open the design studio to a region? Thus, I can't see them pushing a base car completely to the end of the production line worldwide. I can see them opening up the design studio to, let's say the Southeast (can you guess where I live?) and everyone puts together their orders from that area. Some base models...some maxed out. Then I can see them producing the maxed out orders first over the base models from that region. Could be totally off on this of course...just my thoughts.

Dan
I think the regional aspect will have as much weight or more than the options ordered. I just can't imagine that Tesla would make a base model customer in California wait until ALL highly-optioned cars in the WORLD (or at least US) are delivered.

So, I think that highly optioned cars in California will get built first, but then some, if not all, of the base model California cars will get built.

I also don't think they will fulfill ALL orders from California (or West coast in general) before they start any orders further east.

If my use was city driving only, I could be fine with a base model. For my highway travels though, I need the extended range to make this more usable and not require nearly as much planning or range anxiety. I'm hoping for 300+ miles with the battery upgrade.

I'm planning on a base model with few if any options. Depending on the cost I may get the big battery or dual motor. I will consider the effects on the 0-60 time that the big battery and dual motor have, relative to their cost.

But no glass roof, no metallic paint, no upgraded interior, no fancy wheels, no cold weather package, no leather seats, etc.

I'm hoping the base radio can provide Sirius Satellite so I can listen to Howard Stern, or at the very least, I can plug a Sirius receiver into the base radio. Don't want to spend thousands on a fancy radio system.

Long before the reveal I thought I would get the $35k base and be happy. Maybe upgraded paint. Even during the reveal I thought the same thing. The range works fine for me. My current cars go less than 250miles per fillup and 90% of my driving is in and around town so the spec range is perfectly fine.
NOW, a few weeks later I think I need AWD, maybe more battery, air suspension, upgraded interior, upgraded audio, AP, SC, upgraded seats, on and on... 18+ months from now we shall see how my willpower and reason holds up. Regardless, I've budgeted for $45k max so will see how that fits and what I don't need.

Reactions: Lunarx
I'll probably get closer to base but not entirely. Depends on the paint options etc. but if needed I will spend extra on that and possibly extra battery. I plan on upgrading the audio myself after reading up on Reus systems. Other than that the car will be pretty basic. I don't need the AWD and I'm probably going to choose the smallest wheel option. Haven't decided on the roof but the situation is obviously fluid since we're so far out currently.

Base plus power windows maybe power locks ?

Are power windows really safe yet ? IE if you end up in water (going into a pond etc.) how would you get out of your car ?
I know you are suppose to carry a small hammer to break the window but the wife cleans out the glove compartment when we get the car serviced.

Is the autopilot smart enough to avoid water at all costs if you have power windows ?

/snark

Are you serious about power windows and ponds? Are you driving around in a chuck wagon? Maybe you can but some scuba gear in your Model 3 if the wife is afraid of driving into a pond.

• Funny
Reactions: plankeye

Dan
Mythbusters took a look at windows and submerged cars. While the power windows will work for some time submerged in theory, the water pressure prevents opening of the window. The same goes for manual windows.

MythBusters Episode 72: Underwater Car

Due to the Tax rebate going away when the volume ramps up, buying a well equipped model might actually save you money by giving you quicker delivery while the tax rebate is still available.

High line models will be delivered before the base models are produced.

Was the same way with S and X.
This is a different production scale from the S and X. How are you sure higher optioned cars will be produced first?

Subzero package.
Supercharging.
Spend pocket money to get Autopilot.

That's it. No purchase for power or additional range. Either the base battery is satisfactory, or I'll not get a Model 3. Somebody said that there was a comment on a call-in from a Tesla exec suggesting that the base Model 3 would have a smaller battery than 60kWh and that doesn't bode well for winter range.

Track version. No track version, no sale. Over 3700lb? No sale. Too much "bling" crap? No sale. I really want 2018 Roadster, but nobody seems interested in making one.

Not interested in a TM3 as a commuter car. It appears to be too large for that with too low of seating position. Folks who drive sports cars in heavy traffic and park in crowded areas will understand.

• Funny
Reactions: Lunarx