Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone getting a base model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will depend on how much everything cost and if the last kid is out of college. This is the order.

Must have
1. AWD
2. Utility hitch for bike rack

Really like to have
3. Bigger battery
4. Supercharger

Really treating myself
5. Auto pilot
6. Performance (I don't even know if I would get this one)

Reactions: Red Sage
Being somewhere over the 400,000 mark (reserved my place three days ago) and living in Atlanta I am not expecting my car before early 2019 and I am ok with that.

You are quite the optimist. I expect a negligible number of cars in 2017. 100k in 2018; 150k in 2019; 200k in 2020; which puts you in 3rd quarter 2020.

The only thing that registers with them is performance.

Not really. If you demonstrate more performance in some area, they will switch to some other metric. The only one that really matters to them is how much bigger it makes people think their genitals are. They totally miss that the correlation goes the other way.

Thank you kindly.

I'd rather *not* have dual motors given that frunk space will be at a premium. Although maybe they'll just shrink the frunk regardless. In which case, fine - twist my arm.

For what it's worth, the Model 3s at the reveal were AWD and they demonstrated the frunk space by placing a suitcase bag into it. Based on complaints about frunk space on the AWD Model S, I was surprised about the space for the 3.

This is going to sound condescending and I don't mean to put this down in any way. I really do agree with you 100%.

Having said this however, these are the exact arguments that cause so many people to immediately scoff and laugh off anything relating to EVs. I have a ton of motorhead friends from MOPAR guys to Corvette guys...you name it. They see this all as a bunch of tree hugging, "Mother Earth" freaks trying to take away their muscle. The sound of those cylinders firing up and the smell of burning oil is what gets them going. The only thing that registers with them is performance.

This is where I think Tesla can really make a stand. Yes, it does all of the things you mentioned and the history of the company and what it represents is a great thing, but if we are really going to turn heads and bring people around to what electric vehicles can do Tesla is going to do it by whipping the butts of all the grease monkeys out there. The technology, the acceleration, the handling, the quality, the luxury all must be superior to what they can find in a comparably priced ICE. Tesla seems to be on the brink of doing all of those things and more. That's what makes it such an appealing product to me is that I can creep up silently next to their Z06 or their Hellcat and beat them on their own terms. Maybe then they will start looking at this technology in a different light.

Again, please accept my apology if I offended you with this. I am really on your side but I know how my friends think and I am really looking forward to wiping their smug little grins off their faces!

Dan

Cheers. It's the performance, convenience, and cost savings on fuel that draw me to Tesla. The benefits to the planet are an added benefit to me, although I appreciate Tesla taking that on as its overall mission.

Reactions: Lunarx and Red Sage
For what it's worth, the Model 3s at the reveal were AWD and they demonstrated the frunk space by placing a suitcase bag into it. Based on complaints about frunk space on the AWD Model S, I was surprised about the space for the 3.
All I want the frunk for is to throw a few grocery bags in, or takeout from a restaurant in or whatever. I won't be using it for luggage, but rather, things that I don't want tumbling around my car, or things that will stink up the car. Nothing like having leftovers at our favorite Mexican restaurant and it making the car smell like food for the next 24-48 hours. What they showed on the AWD model is fine for me.

Reactions: Lunarx and Red Sage
My fear is that the base model will be upgraded and the price hiked before they actually build / deliver mine. I expect it to be no earlier than LATE 2018 at best, as I was late reserving (04/05/16) and live in Alabama.

There is also precedence for my concern over price creep. Model S 40 for ~ $50k post Fed tax credit didn't happen, not enough demand he said. Model X 70 was bumped up in battery capacity and base price, possibly before any 70 kW models went out the door.

I dearly want a Model 3. I want to support Tesla and the objective of electrified transportation, with the side benefit of never buying from the shark infested waters of a traditional dealership again, but I am way too close to retirement to spend $50k on a new car regardless of how great it is.

No it's not. Tesla is using a 35% markup for the exchange rate for the base vehicles and about 32.5% for options. On top of this you then add 6.1% duty as due to The % of foreign parts they don't meet NAFTA requirements. On top of this add 1-2% for Tesla's admin cost for the export.

I originally posted these amounts. I have one correction to make. The 6.1 Nafta and 1-2% admin is built into the 35% just like on the CND MS.

Given history, I understand your concern Marc C. I base this on nothing concrete, but the fact that Elon has made so much noise about $35k makes me think that the same price creep won't occur. I'm also hoping as you are as I can't afford anything above base model.
I think it ultimately depends on how many choose the base model after the configurator opens up. If it is surprisingly low (as with S 40kWh), Tesla may do the same thing. I think however this time, the base model will easily break the double digit percentage mark and perhaps even be half or more of orders.

I think it ultimately depends on how many choose the base model after the configurator opens up. If it is surprisingly low (as with S 40kWh), Tesla may do the same thing. I think however this time, the base model will easily break the double digit percentage mark and perhaps even be half or more of orders.
I agree. I think a large percentage of the people who reserved want (and can't afford more than) a 35K car, like me. Well, I probably could afford more, but just can't really justify it. Plus, there are a lot more things in life that I like/need to spend money on, and I don't want to have to work forever either. Also, the less I spend on the M3, the more likely I'll be able to afford a MY for my wife (when/if ever that will be).

I just cant see myself spending $50k on ANY car. I've never spent more than $20k on a car (used and leased). Should I just consider getting a base model and love it? Do you think I would get significantly bumped on the wait list to where credits are no longer available? I wasn't relying on the tax circumstance, but I would say it encouraged me to put the refundable deposit down in store before online orders were available. I knew the timelines for the credits.

I've never spent more than $20k on a car either, partly because I'm cheap, and partly because I don't like flashy cars that draw attention from the cops or vandals. Generic looking Hondas and Subarus have always fit the bill.

I would buy a Model 3 mostly for the purpose of getting off gasoline. I suppose an i3, LEAF, or Bolt could get the job done, but their designs are too weird for me, and the lack of Supercharging for occasional long-distance EV travel would be annoying. Model 3 is realistically the only electric car I would feel is good value for the money. The others are too compromised in some way or another.

After looking at the Model S and its options, I think that I would likely NOT buy a base Model 3, but I would also not go overboard with options.

From the Model S configurator, I decided that I would not be happy unless I had the following minimum:
  1. A color other than black or white, +$1000
  2. Autopilot, +$2500
  3. Cold weather package, +$1000
Supercharging cost is the big unknown. The Model S 60 kWh used to have a $2000 enabling fee, but Tesla could move to a subscription fee given the very large numbers of Model 3 to be produced. I guess that if there is an enabling fee, it would be $1500 or so for the base battery pack.

By this rough estimate, I am planning on 6k worth of options, or 41k before sales tax and before any available credits.

The other stuff, like AWD, leather interior, 12-speaker audio, air suspension, and performance powertrain, I don't really feel a need to get.

Dont want:
- AWD > love rear wheel drive to much
- Cold weather pack > not cold enough in Belgium

Must have:
- next generation leather seats
- silver paint
- full glass roof
- premium interior
- auto pilot
- supercharge

Maybe
- air suspension
- bigger battery without AWD

Reactions: Lunarx
Does the model S come with heated front seats as standard or do you need to add cold weather pack ?

If heated front seats were standard on the M3 i cant personally see the justification of buying the cold weather pack

Musk is also not an idiot. He can put out a bunch of cars to employees, friends etc. for 'beta testing'. Then put out a few more to California for 'gamma testing'. Put out some high margin cars until they reach 199,999 cars. Then build 6 months or more of production, and release them on the first day of a quarter. So 1 year's worth (6 months pre-built, 6 months regular production) of cars (after 199,999) at full tax credit. Call it 100,000 cars. That should take care of everyone who ordered on release day (who lives in the US, sorry). Regions won't make much difference. It mattered for the Model S and X where they need to ship a full truck to a given place. For 100,000 Model ≡s, not a problem. They will need to scale their delivery fleet to distribute the production volume to places the average distance from the factory; that probably doesn't change over time, so build up takes time, but once done, they need to deliver equally everywhere.

Thank you kindly.
He's not an idiot, but this is also not going to happen. Tesla has quarterly delivery goals it needs to meet and it's simply not feasible to deliver zero (or very few) cars over a 3 month period, never mind 6.

Also, this would really piss off the government, and it's generally not a good idea to do that.

I'm thinking we'll see the 200k mark at the very beginning of a quarter, so we have the next 6 months of full tax credit. I doubt Tesla will pre-build any cars since the demand will be so insane at that time. Timing and clever delivery goals is the best we're going to get.

Reactions: wbrumfiel
Without part 2, it is so hard to say. It really depends on what kind of perks you get for higher models and how much it costs.

I will say I will get supercharging for sure, and even though currently I don't even use cruise control when driving, I am seriously considering autopilot because I think going forward it will be a big thing and seriously affect resale value (although if it can be activated after purchase then that changes things so much).
How often do you drive long stretches of nothingness? I had a coworker who didn't even know how to turn on the cruise control on his 8-year-old car, but once we started taking 4 hour drives to upstate NY, very quickly did he realize the value of CC, especially on those blasted 55mph highways where it's easy to get carried away going 75.