TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is anyone getting a black top?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ElSupreme, Mar 23, 2012.

?

What roof are you getting.

1. I am getting a black car.

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. I am getting a body color roof.

19 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. I am getting a black roof, on a non-black car.

6 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. I am getting the pano roof.

56 vote(s)
    67.5%
  1. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

So Tesla is offering a black top on any car. Is anyone planning on getting a black top (assuming you aren't getting a black Model S).

I think it looks good, if not a little odd, on the white. It can work on the silver and grey. But I think it doesn't really fit on any of the colors.

And offering a black top seems odd to me. A white one would make more sense as it would keep your car much cooler. And well I would consider this on pure function. But I have only lived in Florida and Georgia so I may just have a 'warm climate' point of view.

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I've never seen a lack top to have any function. To me, it's always been aesthetics... Mainly for performance cars.

3. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

I had a black top on a green BMW in "Need for Speed III", if I recall correctly. :) I think it is kind of a "sporty" look, but I definitely won't get one for my S. I seem to recall an article posted here that studied temperature and exterior/interior colors and said that the temperature difference in the interior wasn't significant with a black roof (but the exterior temperature was noticeable).

4. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I'm getting a black roof on a white car. I've always liked that look and got my fusion-red Roadster with black CF hard top. Also owned an Eagle Talon TSI that came standard with a black top - looked really nice. If I lived where it was hot I might think differently but I doubt it.

5. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Wife and I were debating getting the black roof with the Blue exterior but, I think we are ending up leaning towards the pano roof. Just concerned that we might later regret not getting a roof that can open; the Model S will be our sixth car over several years and we never had one that didn't have a sun/moonroof or a ragtop.

6. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Seriously considering the white with black roof combo here. Have seen BMWs on the road like that and it looks distinctive to me. I suppose it is a faux pano, but we never open our sunroofs and don't think we need the pano.

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Ok now that I don't feel crazy I am fairly confident that I am getting a black roof on a white car. Unless for some reason I want the pano roof when I see it. I generally don't like sunroofs.

8. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

BMW has a CF roof on the M6 which looks black from a distance, and cool up close. That would be a cool option for later releases!!

9. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

I think it only makes sense on white.

I like the body color best in terms of looks - but I think I'm going to get the Pano so I can listen to B.B. King on XM/Sirius :)

10. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

As long as you aren't driving around with the pano roof open playing "The Thrill Is Gone"!! Hardly appropriate in this car!! :-D

11. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Pano roof is still up in the air, depending on rear head-room issues, but I'm in for green or blue body color and (as others have noted) the black top doesn't play well with the dark colors. I could see it on Silver or maybe Gray.

12. Jointguy

Jointguy Member

Getting the Pano roof. After sitting in the cars at Santana Row last week, with and without, the extra headroom with the Pano roof sealed the deal.