Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone going to the GHEVA meeting tonight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was there... missed you guys. There was another Model S owner there. Their car was white, 85kWh, VIN around 4200, didn't catch the name.

There were about 20 people there. For the first time ever, all 10 EV chargers were in use simultaneously.

dj905

Couldn't make it due to a conflict with a 2-day conference in Toronto. Spoke with Brian (Horizon Utilities) at said conference, and he told me he received his new Leaf around the same time I got my Model S. Sounds like chargers will be in high demand and I'll have to get there early next time if I want to plug in! (FYI, Brookfield Place downtown has a row of chargers and EV parking which I utilized while I was there... nice)

Couldn't make it due to a conflict with a 2-day conference in Toronto. Spoke with Brian (Horizon Utilities) at said conference, and he told me he received his new Leaf around the same time I got my Model S. Sounds like chargers will be in high demand and I'll have to get there early next time if I want to plug in! (FYI, Brookfield Place downtown has a row of chargers and EV parking which I utilized while I was there... nice)

Some kind of electric utility conference I guess? So when do we get super off peak rates? (ie. something closer to the wholesale electricity price)

(Sorry for the OT)

Some kind of electric utility conference I guess? So when do we get super off peak rates? (ie. something closer to the wholesale electricity price)(Sorry for the OT)

Yep, an electric utility conference. Ontario's electricity market has very complex pricing including a very controversial component known as the "Global Adjustment". This component is built in to standard rates, but is an adder to wholesale market rates and is in some cases higher than the actual commodity price. It includes the cost of cancelled gas plants, Conservation programs, guaranteed rates (above market) paid to solar and wind generators etc. and is where they are "socialized" across all of the customer base. Unfortunately, electricity policy is highly politicized in Ontario. For instance, Off-Peak rates were moved from 9:00 PM to 7:00 PM for "political" reasons even though some of Ontario's highest demands are in the 7:00 to 9:00 PM period. So bottom line is that wholesale rates, once "topped up" with things like the Global Adjustment are not far off of the standard rates you pay on average. Sorry.

For instance, Off-Peak rates were moved from 9:00 PM to 7:00 PM for "political" reasons even though some of Ontario's highest demands are in the 7:00 to 9:00 PM period.

:cursing: That undermines the whole reason for the program! Short-term political expediency trumps good governance every time. I know Queen's Park is right beside the UofT campus, but sometimes it seems to be in an alternate universe!